engagment ring

Online Users: 1,340 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 23

RMB0414 Posts : 1,386 Registered: 8/2/06
Re: engagment ring
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: H4M

It's your ring - it's your life - you should concentrate on making yourself happy!!  If that promise ring is the ring that you want and it has many special meanings, then keep it!!  It seems like you and your FH are too concerned about what others think.  If someone is rude to you about the ring or people call him "tight" maybe you should come back with "we're marrying because of love not money" - it come across rude to the OP - but they're being rude to begin with.  Seriously, my ring isn't huge and elaborate, but I LOVE it.  Society has placed such an importance on "bigger is better" (with everything not just e-ring) - that I think everyone is losing track of what's really important.  So keep the ring you want and the one that makes you happy - eventually people will stop asking about because they'll be on to something "more" important to talk about.  Not that your day isn't important, but you know what I mean (o:

04/14/2007 - I Become a Mrs!

Posted: Sep 13, 2006 3:26 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

Who are these people who make such terrible comments to others about their engagement rings? I mean who walks up to another woman and says "that's your engagement ring?" Do people have no manners? If someone had a microscopic diamond chip as an e-ring and she were showing it off to me I would say "wow, how pretty!" I just can't believe the nerve of some people. You love the ring so please don't second-guess your gut. Keep it! But, I am never one to turn down diamonds. What about a new RHR?

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:16 PM Go to message in response to: H4M

I think the truth is usually the best.  If people ask tell them that this was a promise ring from him and he used it to propose with until you picked out a solitaire but that this ring has so much meaning to both of you that it was truly what you wanted as your engagement ring.  I do know what you mean, though.  I didn't get my engagement ring for a couple of months and I always felt like people were looking and wondering why I didn't have a solitaire!  FH proposed with a silver Celtic ring and I wore that but even then people asked.  Even my DOCTOR asked where my diamond was!  So just tell them that the ring you have is truly the ring you want and you are so happy with it.  :)

Posted: Sep 13, 2006 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

I disagree with newsjunkie because I don't think you own people any explanation as to why your e-ring is not tradional. I wouldn't go around explaining the situation to others because it is none of their business.

Posted: Sep 13, 2006 10:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I agree that you don't need to owe all those people an explaination, but if your FH really wants to get you a ring, well, you gotta think of his input. THose other opinions will all probably die down anyway. But if your FH has his heart set on getting you another ring, what about using your current ring as your wedding ring. I know you may not want to because you've already been wearing it for a while, but it would be really cool to have a wedding ting with so much meaning. And besides, the ceremony is what makes it into the wedding ring.

Posted: Sep 13, 2006 10:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Why not do it backwards and get a solitaire for your wedding ring?
My engagment ring was not a solitaire and my wedding ring was more like a "traditional" engagement ring. I wear my wedding ring on my left hand and my engagement ring on my right hand.

As for people being rude and asking, you can tell them the sweet story of his proposal with the ring or you can just say point blank "Yes this is my engagement ring."

071707 Posts : 313 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 12:46 AM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

I echo what other people have been saying.

If you guys are happy with it, then that's all that matters. I find that some people will always nitpick at your life just to make themselves feel superior, especially when things are going well for you. Keep the ring as an engagement ring if that's what you want. Eventually people will forget about it and, I'm sure, find something else to whinge about.

A problem shared is a problem halved  Smile

7/7/07 bride!!!

H4M Posts : 49 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Sep 14, 2006 8:55 PM Go to message in response to: 071707

Thanx everyone!! It is really reassuring to hear other people have similar comments! Sorry it took me so long to get back on here - had to go to a conferance!Frown You have all been so encouraging!! Thank you for the idea about using the ring as a wedding band! I talked to FH about this the other night and we are both happy with this idea! He's happy cos he gets to get me a new ring and I'm happy cos I get to use my special ring! Thanks again girls!
H

Posted: Sep 15, 2006 1:04 AM Go to message in response to: H4M

Just another little tidbit of advice.  The next time someone asks about the ring (especially when FH is around) really ham up the part about fh wanting to get you something more expensive (throw in some good quotes) then go into why you already have the perfect ring, then go on about romantic FH is, and maybe end it with a gooey kiss.  

The goal is to get people to stop giving fh a hard time about your perfect ring.  

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine