Brides & Grooms: How did you and Fiance meet?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 65
Re: Brides & Grooms: How did you and Fiance meet?
Posted: Sep 20, 2006 9:59 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

This was a cool idea for a post!! 

I'm so happy that I'm not the only one that met my FH online!! I was driving across state for my grandma's bday and heard a commercial for cupid.com. I thought it was worth a shot - hadn't dated anyone for about 4 years, and was too shy and not into the bar scene. I saw FH on there and fell in love with the black and white photo he had on his profile.  After talking for a week, we realized just how much we had in common (our parents both worked for the same college, his sister is exactly one month younger than me) and decided to meet at his first softball game. Two days later we had our first official date and have been inseperable ever since. He planned on proposing to me at the place where we had our first date (and where we'll be married) but there were 2 other weddings going on.

I never thought meeting someone online would turn out so great, but I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him - just a little over a year to go!!!

Posted: Sep 20, 2006 10:26 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I met my FH at church. He was a breath of fresh air in the ministry. I never looked at him in a loving way. I just thought he was cute guy who joined the church. He was very goofy and extremely outgoing. Totally different fromany guy I have ever dated and totally different from me. Time moved on and we began talking on the phone every night. whenever I saw him he would look at me like he could kiss me right then and there. These stares continued for years. Our friendship grew until we ended up working at the same job. An office supply company. I got to know more about hime and he learned even more about me. We started to flirt and that scared me a little because this was a good friend and I didn't want to lose that. But neverthe less May of 2001 I went to him after a church service and told him that I was attracted to him and he said I KNOW, I am attraacted to you too. We talked on the phone that night and officially declared that we were in a relationship. August 4, 2006 he came to my parents house and asked me to marry him. That is our story   4 1/2 mothns to go until I am Mrs. DrakeLaughing

Posted: Sep 20, 2006 4:54 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I met my Fiancé Frank online also. I have this wonderful habit of putting my foot in my mouth...... My aunt was interested in learning how to chat online and I was explaining to her that unfortunately most of the men in chat rooms are just interested in hooking up and talking dirty. I was warning her to be cautious and not to get her hopes up on finding a nice guy in a chat room bla bla bla...... and sure enough my FH instant messaged me right then and there and proved everything I had ever said about men online wrong.He is in the army reserves and was home on leave for a few days. We hit it off so well that we found our selves chatting all day and night long then waking up the next day eager to sign online to talk more. We had such a great connection that we were planning on meeting each other before he had to go back to Iraq. Unfortunately I woke up the next morning feeling awful (come to find out I had pneumonia) and I was unable to meet him before he had to depart. Over the next 6 months we continued talking to each other almost daily and our friendship and connection continued to grow and grow. We knew we were meant for each other and not even a departure to Iraq was going to keep us apart.Our First actual time meeting each other was at the air port on May 15th, 2006 when he flew in from Iraq. I still remember the butterflies today. It was the most awquard, exciting, life changing moment ever. I actually met his family for dinner the weekend before he came home (Felt more like an interview for an arranged marriage, lol) and I met up with them at the air port. There was news cameras everywhere interviewing the families of the soldiers and recording the soldiers coming off the air plane and getting greeted by there families and loved one. I remember his Grandpa's Girlfriend saying "there he is honey go for it" and giving me a nudge. I ran up to him and gave him a big passionate, embracing hug in front of what felt like the whole world watching me. It felt so good, I knew right then that he was the one, no one else mattered not the cameras, not the crowds of people, time honestly felt like it stood still for just him and I and it was soooo perfect. I had never felt anything that was so right in my life. To my surprise I was perfectly comfortable and totally in love with him. Even though I had just met him we had talked to each other so much when he was in Iraq that it felt like we had known each other forever. We got engaged on Aug 6th 2006 and we are getting married on June 22nd, 2007 a little less then a year later.Well that wasn't as short and to the point as I thought it was going to be but, there you have it.... that is how I met the Love of my life : )

link=http://www.snugglepie.comimg noborderhttp://www.snugglepie.com/ezb/594497.png[/img][/link]

Posted: Sep 20, 2006 5:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I met my fiance by chance.  I worked at a cosmetics counter for a dept store, and one slow night at work I noticed a new hire in jewelry.  A friendly girl introduced herself and spoke to me while the evening winded on.  I told her about my failed lovelife and she told me about hers.  Later that week I ran into her at a local hot spot.  She told me that her brother was single and that we should go out sometime.  Never being set up on a date before, I was a little sceptical.  I gave her my number for him, and waited for a call, thinking my chances were slim. 

The next evening, my fiance called me and we talked for hours.  I finally had to go, but he asked me out.  Still feeling a bit unsure of the situation, I set the date for two weeks later, so we could talk on the phone for a good long while first.  Our daily talks became the best part of my day.  I couldn't wait to get home and call him after work.  We would literally talk until 1 in the morning sometimes. 

The day of our first date finally came and I was a nervous wreck.  He was supposed to pick me up at 7 and we were headed to a special surpsrise spot.  When he pulled up to my door in a corvette, I immediately felt uneasey.  Especially with my old grand am in the driveway.  But, when he came to the door, I lost all my inhibitions.  I jumped out the door and hugged him.  THe rest of the night was wonderful.  We ate dinner at Ruth Chris Steakhouse where we had a reserved table for two.  He opened doors for me, was polite, and made me feel so incredibly comfortable.  As we walked downtown that night he held my hand.  We had the most amazing conversations.  I just knew that he was the one.  That was a year ago.  We became engaged on August 12th 2006 and are planning an outside wedding next September.  Who knew a blind date could turn out so well!   

Posted: Sep 20, 2006 6:00 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I had moved to San Diego from DC in Sept 2003 all by myself, and didn't know many people out here.  FH (John) had moved to SD from Michigan 2 years prior and didn't know a whole lot of people either.  In Feb 2004, about 6 months after moving here I was invited to a small music venue downtown to catch a show.  I really wasn't up for it, but let my friends talk me into going.  John decided to go to the show with a friend, and as luck would have it he ended up getting the last ticket!

About 20 minutes into the show, I noticed FH behind me checking me out.  I prepared myself for the usual annoying club guy to hit on me, but to my surprise he was actually very funny and pleasant to talk to.  We hit it off instantly, and didn't go a day without seeing each other for the first month.

A month and a half into our relationship we ended up moving in together despite the logical side of me wondering if that was such a good idea.  Turns out, it was meant to be.  He proposed last Feb on our 2nd anniversary, and we are getting married next October!  Seriously, who actually meets someone at a concert?

Smile

Posted: Sep 20, 2006 8:30 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Er, band camp. High school marching band camp to be precise, lol.

He was my close friend (and competitor!) for several years; it seemed only natural when he asked me out on a date for the first time. We dated for about 6 months when we exchanged promise rings, and now, about 2 years into our relationship, we've exchanged engagement rings. :)

Danielle11 Posts : 1 Registered: 5/23/06
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 12:26 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

My fiance and I met on AOL in a chat room too about 5 years ago!!!  We did not meet face to face also until 2 years of talking on the phone.  He is from California and I live in Florida and 2 years ago I begged him to move here so we could be together.  He can't wait for us to move to California after I graduate from College.  I am so glad to know that I am not alone in how I met my fiance.  Congrats and good luck!!!

Danielle

Posted: Nov 6, 2006 1:37 PM Go to message in response to: Danielle11

I love hearing all these stories!

Posted: Nov 6, 2006 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My FH and I were introduced by a mutual friend in September 1993. I even went to his prom. He went away to college and I stayed in the state for college. After a few months of a long distance relationship, we decided to call it quits. We remained friends and spoke from time to time. He came back to our hometown in 1998 but I was in a relationship. By 2000, we were seeing each other again and the rest is history. I remember telling him when we first broke up that we should both enjoy our college years and that if it is meant to be we will somehow find our way back to each other...I guess it was meant to be.

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Nov 6, 2006 4:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Gin, I did a LOT of online dating before I met DH, mostly when I lived in Boston.  I didn't meet any nutcases but I did go on a lot of boring dates.  I learned that every single guy lies about his height (except DH, he is 6'3" so it wasn't necessary!) and every girl lies about her weight (um, including me- so sue me!).  I tried to make my online profile as nonsexual as possible and avoided anyone whose profile even mentioned sex.  I love sex but I think most of the crazies will be looking for a profile like that and when they came across my "I love Lord of the Rings and politics" page their eyes probably glazed over from boredom.  :)  I highly recommend match.com- just chat with a lot of guys and meet one who seems really promising in a public place!

Posted: Nov 6, 2006 4:19 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

Ooops! At first I jumped the gun and posted how he proposed.  Then I realized that was NOT the question posed. Sorry. Here's how we met:

My fiance and I met through his book publisher whom I met while on assignment for work. I mentioned to her that I had written a  children's book, and inquired as to whether she would like to read my manuscript. I then met with her three days later to give her the manuscript and we ended up talking. And talking. And talking some more.

About an hour into our meeting, the conversation shifted and she asked if I was single. I said yes, and she then replied that she knew somebody who would be perfect for me. She went on to tell me all about my now-fiance and added that she was hosting an upcoming charity gala for his foundation and that I should grab a friend and come. So I enlisted my best friend and went.

Not to sound sappy, but that evening changed our lives forever.

When I arrived to the soiree, I have to admit that I found the sight of him surrounded by a group of his former teammates a tad intimidating. I made a point to keep my distance and simply aimed to have fun with my friend. But my fiance, being the absolute gentleman that he is, made a point to make me feel welcome amid mingling with his guests and signing his books. In fact, he even had a bowl of Godiva chocolate pudding waiting for me when I entered the boutique to talk to him. And that just made me melt! Apparently, we already looked like a bona fide couple because several photographers descended on us and requested a photo.  The funny thing is, now two years later, that photo is still my favorite one of us!

Message was edited by Seven7Seven on Nov 6, 2006 4:32 PM

Posted: Nov 7, 2006 9:40 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

DH and I met when we were 12 and 10 years old, respectively, at karate class.  Many years later, we both still train at that same school, where we get to toss each other around on a regular basis.  What's not to love about that!?  :OD

Oh, and lest you all think that I've been with my DH since the tender age of ten, we didn't start dating until we were both in college.  Actually, I didn't much care for him when we first met, and then later in high school I tried (fairly unsuccessfully) to date his best friend! 

*Married to the love of my life since 9.30.06!*

lori83 Posts : 1,852 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Nov 7, 2006 11:26 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have been married for years but had to share. Highschool, I was a sophomore, he was a senior. We had studyhall together in the library. I am all for young love.

Scarey thing is my son fell in love with his gf in 10th grade too. Now he's a junior and she's a senior. They used to take karate and soccer classes together.

Posted: Nov 7, 2006 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: lori83

I am so glad this thread was revived.

I am another of the online brides.  I had actually dated another guy from the internet previously, but it just didn't work out and we are still friends, but don't talk much. 

But to the point....  Met FH on Christian Mingle.  I had originally put on my profile that I was only interested in meeting guys in the Northeast.  He sent me a smile and a quick note saying that  he respected that but just had to chat w/ me about some things in my profile that he found very interesting. 

I had only signed up for a set amount of time on the site and would not renew.  At the end of that time I was writing casually to 5 or 6 different guys and  gave some of them (including David) My personal e-mail.  I still did not want a long-distance relationship, but David just stood out head and shoulders above the rest.  He asked me out by sending me an e-amil card (through the site) asking if I would 'water his camels'.  NOW most of you won't get the reference, but it comes from a Bible story of how Isaac's servant finds the wife God chose for him. (Her name was Rebecca...  my name too)  So when I wrote back and told him that I would and draw water for his men too he knew I was saying yes. 

The tough part of a long distance relationship is that we were thinking about marriage from day one. (Was both of our goals) While this is practical you can get carried away and end up putting the cart before the horse. 

I did not fall in love with him instantly.... I'm too much of a cynic, but over time he has become my best friend, someone I trust and the one I love above everyone else.  We have agreed that we are getting married and I am just waiting for him to formally propose.  Stay tuned for that announcement!!!  :)

~Rebecca

storm0075 Posts : 416 Registered: 7/9/06
Posted: Nov 7, 2006 1:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well we met on eharmony. A friend of mine met her husband there and I had just given my ex the boot so I thought I would try it. We were matched the 1st day I was on there, but I was really unsure. He seemed like a really nice guy...too nice...I don't date nice guys. Apparently I just marry them. lol We chatted online for a few weeks then we exchanged numbers. About a month later we went on our 1st date and we really hit it off. We have been together ever since. We are moving in together next year and are getting married the year after that. It is a bit of a drive right now as we live about an hour and a half apart but he comes up just about every weekend and we spend any days off that we have together.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine