Brides & Grooms: How did you and Fiance meet?

Online Users: 1,247 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 65
Re: Brides & Grooms: How did you and Fiance meet?
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 9:02 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Another internet story here!

We are 20 and 25 (soon to be 21, 26) and both of us have always known that "special someone" was out there, but didn't think we would ever find them. Rather than to date everyone we could find, we've kind of both waited patiently until early this year, when at the same time, we both decided to try internet dating. We were both on EHarmony.com at the same time, and were never matched.... But one evening I found him on Cupid.com, and my little sister (who was 11!!!) goes "He looks so nice and has a great profile! Eye Contact him!!!" Wow, was she right. We emailed all week long, and decided to meet at a "safe dinner" with my parents the following week, on May 4th. He was such a gentleman. He didn't kiss me until our 4th date, and then he asked if he could, because he didn't want to offend me.... What an awesome guy!!! He has been the most amazing thing that has ever happened to me, and its so cool to know that I have found my soul mate. :) Anyone else out there feel like that???

We were engaged on September 4, on our 4 month "anniversary"..... We are planning a June '07 wedding. :) 

Heth

~*We were on the porch of a cabin in Beaver's Bend, Oklahoma, on September 4, 2006, where we were on vacation with my family... I was sitting in the porch swing and he came onto the porch with something behind his back, and leaned down to give me a kiss, and told me how much he loved me... Then he told me to close my eyes... When I opened them, he was on one knee and holding out the box to me. He asked me to marry him of course I said yes!!! and he kissed me and then told me he knew how special that place was to me, and wanted it to be special to both of us now.... And the rest is history in the making....*~

Message was edited by Heth8601 on Sep 8, 2006 9:02 AM

Posted: Sep 8, 2006 10:53 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I love all of the stories.  I met my FH online.  He kept a profile on match.com while he was in Iraq.  I sent him an email to talk to him (the only time in my life I have done something like that!)  He began his email back with, "Well, I am in Iraq, but...".  He had about 5 more months remaining.  When he got home, he called me right away.  We went on our first date that weekend.  The emailing and instant messaging for 5 months has really helped our relationship.  We are firstly best friends.  I am so grateful that things happen the way they do!

Posted: Sep 8, 2006 12:30 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

I met my FH within the first month of my freshman yr. of college. My roomate said she met someone she thought I would like - and I didnt'. But we ended up going to his dorm to hang out one night.  I was chatting it up w/ one of his roomates, who was eating, and I love to eat.  We decided that he would tutor me in psychology b/c I was having trouble, and that was his major.  After a while we became more interested in each other than psychololgy! We maintained a long distance relationship for 3 years (he was a senior and moved back home to miami) until he moved to NY right before I graduated - and we have been together ever since.

Posted: Sep 8, 2006 12:40 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Great thread!!!

Well i met my FH on a BLIND DATE!!!! i kid you not!!! it was the first blind date i had ever been on, and i knew from the momenti saw him, he was different. Firstly, he looked into my eyes..instead of my ...ya know. lol.

On our second date he asked my permission to kiss me, i told him that if he had honorable intentions, that he could. Of course he did! I mean i should have seen that coming, what kind of guy will refusse a kiss lol. Anyways, that night i woke my mom up aty 2 am and told her, i just met the man i am going to marry, and June 2nd of next year i prove it....i Love him dearly, and i think marriage will be hard, but i would rather have a thousand hard days with him, then one perfect day without him.

newsjunkie Posts : 3,417 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 1:00 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

FH and I are another online couple!  I had just moved from Boston to Atlanta for a new job and it was really hard meeting people since I didn't have any friends in the area and the only people I knew were the people I worked with.  I had done match.com back in Boston and went on a TON of dates (mostly first dates lol) so I decided to try it here.  I saw FH's profile and he seemed really nice and a little geeky- which I love!  I "winked" at him and I can't remember if he emailed me back or if I emailed first or what.  It turns out we worked down the street from each other so after almost a month of chatting online we finally met for a drink after work.  I was really nervous going out in Atlanta being new to the city so that is why it took me so long but he made me feel really safe by giving me exact directions to the bar near both of our buildings AND telling me where the lighted parking lot was- now THAT is a considerate man!  :)  I thought he was a nice guy but no sparks.  We went out again and I felt the same way.  I went out with him for the third time because I really wanted to give him the chance that I didn't give a lot of guys because he was just so NICE.  Finally- sparks!  He said he liked me from the first date when I gave him a hug when we first met.  He said it made him instantly comfortable with me.  I actually developed that trick back in Boston- guys love it and, really, it's just a hug and look how well it works!  One year later he proposed and we are getting married on October 15!

Posted: Sep 8, 2006 1:10 PM Go to message in response to: newsjunkie

WOW....so many people are meeting online, question for those of you.......Were any of you ladies afraid of what might happen? I mean I know you probrably have heard what if he's an axe murder or a rapist.....but were any of you really nervous about it, becasue I mean lets face it there are ALOT of weirdos and nutcases out there. Just wondering because I have never done anything like that or even been on a site like that.....

Posted: Sep 8, 2006 1:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Haha.  My favorite movie is Mallrats too...I made about a million people watch that back in high school.  I used to want to marry Brodie....but now he sort of pales in comparison.

And Gin, I didn't meet my fiance online, but I have met people online and become good friend with them.  Really, anyone could be a psycho murderer.  Just because you meet a guy in a bar or at the mall and can see his face doesn't really make it safer.  It seems like most of these ladies first met their men in a public place, and after that its pretty much the same as if you had met him in person. 

Posted: Sep 8, 2006 1:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yeah I get that anyone could be a weirdo....Maybe I just watch too much Dr Phil about the grown men who act like kids to get them alone and stuff like that. I would just wonder though what would expectations be, I mean in person I can see you I know what you look like, sound like, etc......online they could be lying about themselves, or looks, or like and dislikes, Have any of you have certain expectations that were not me (good or bad)?

RMB0414 Posts : 1,386 Registered: 8/2/06
Posted: Sep 8, 2006 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I didn't meet my FH online but I too have meet more than one man from the internet - makes me sound like I've meet tons of men haha but it's not like that... but anyways, there was only 1 (I met 3) that didn't look like himself and was sort of weird.  We had talked on good old AOL for a year or two before we finally decided to meet - I was only 20 and he was 30.  I think the picture he sent me was when he was 20 as well.  I met him and didn't know what the heck to think.  But after 2 dates - I never talked to him again.  He did pressure a little bit and made me feel uncomforatble a few times.  However, the other 2 that I met were pretty cool.  One didn't work out at all - we had NO chemistry and the other one and I dated for a few months. 

04/14/2007 - I Become a Mrs!

Posted: Sep 8, 2006 2:33 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

I met ym FH at college too, sort of.  I went back full time for my masters degree in a town where there are more registered cows than voters.  I never thought that I would meet a man there.  I was out one night in the bar (yes there is only 1 bar) and saw this guy farther down.  I thought I knew him but couldn't place him.  It finally hits me.  I had met him 2 days earlier while trying to recover from a cold (and hopped up on major Nyquil)  I was so intrigued by him that that night that I made him show me his drivers license and ID card.  Turns out, he was a professor who was there for one year. 

Once I realized who he was ( and embarrased by my actions) I had the bartender send a drink in apology.  He hasn't beeen away from me yet, 8 years later.  (There were no rules broken by us, we checked.  over 25 and I was most definitely not in the music program)

My family likes to joke that I was in college for so long I married a professor.

Posted: Sep 8, 2006 2:33 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

Posted: Sep 8, 2006 4:28 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I met my FH six months before we started dating. My brother was a Marine in Iraq (serving his second tour). So while he was away I missed my brother and all his friends missed him too. So we decided to be each others support group. So we hung out alot during this time, even though we were all really close growing up. So this one night one of my brothers friends brought one of his friends out (FH). As the night progressed we were talking but he was really shy. Some how I ended up with his number in my cell phone (I was very drunk at this point). Anyway we ended running into each other at different parties and bars for about 6 months. One party was on friday the 13, I at this point kinda had a crush on him but didn't do anything. Well at this party he ended up coming with one of his other friends. So we were talking and one thing led to another and we started kissing. He admitted to me that night that from the first night he met me he liked me but was to shy to tell me. And the rest is history Laughing See some good things happen on friday the 13.

P.S. The friend that he brought to the party hooked up with one of my friends. They never knew each other before this was the first time they ever met. My FH only brought his friend for moral support since he knew I was going to be there and he was nervous. They got married in May 2005.   

RMB0414 Posts : 1,386 Registered: 8/2/06
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 12:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

HAHA I did get my liscence (I can never spell that word lol) on Friday the 13th many years ago.  So I agree - good things do happen on that dreadful day.  Even though yours is a lot better than mine Sealed

04/14/2007 - I Become a Mrs!

MrsDupont Posts : 1,574 Registered: 4/14/06
Posted: Sep 11, 2006 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: RMB0414

My FH and I met in our Companys Cafeteria.

I was watching a soap opera and he was doing paperwork...

I heard him taking spanish and started to laugh and said are you spanish? (White boy with freckles and Gray eyes Nothing like a latino) He said yeah I'm Cuban...
I was like... HEEEY whats up!

and havent stopped talking for almost 6 years now.

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Sep 13, 2006 10:20 PM Go to message in response to: MrsDupont

WOW, I never realized I would get so many wonderful interesting responses on this post. This is awesome! Keep posting your stories ladies, they are great.

Im also glad to see that other girls have also met their FH online like I did. Its so funny... at first, when we started talking online nightly and then once we met in person and started dating, we were both so embarassed about how we met. So we would lie to people. When they asked us, we would have this whole story made up about how we met. Back then it wasnt COOL or normal quite yet to meet people on the internet... so we felt weird as hell about it. Now I tell people all the time how we met by accident in an 80s trivia chat room on AOL and then talked every night on Instant Messenger for over a year before meeting in person. And everyone goes "thats so romantic." Especially when I tell them that he moved all the way from Florida to NJ to be with me :) And to think all those years ago, I was embarassed about it. Now I tell everyone.

Kelley Lynn:)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine