Brides & Grooms: How did you and Fiance meet?

Online Users: 1,274 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 65

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Brides & Grooms: How did you and Fiance meet?
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 10:30 PM

I thought it might be fun to hear the story of how everyone met their spouse-to-be. I always love these stories.... I'll go first:

I live in NJ, about 10 min outside of NYC on the stateline. My fiance lived in Florida when we "met." We actually met on the internet. Yup. Good ole AOL. 8 years ago!!! There was this trivia chatroom back then on AOL where you went in and tried to guess lyrics of 1980 one-hit-wonder songs. I used to love going in there, and one night I went in and noone was in there except one person, my future hubby.:) So we started typing to each other .... for 5 hours. Then we did the same thing everynight for months. We exchanged phone numbers about 3 months into it, and we didnt meet in person until 2 years later!!! Neither of us was looking for anything in the beginning, so we didnt take it too seriously. But I felt that it was something big, I knew we would end up together, I just did. When we finally met, he flew here and stayed a week. When it was time for him to leave, we both cried at the airport gate and he said I love you for the first time. After that, it was a "relationship." We did the long-distance thing for YEARS. It was very hard, but he wasnt in the position to move and we wanted to make sure it was right, that this was for life. So two years ago, after much preparation and discussion, he left his job and family and friends and life in Florida and moved in with me. And then a week before last Xmas he asked me to marry him, in NYC, under the rockefeller center Christmas Tree. I am so grateful for how we met, and that he was willing to take a chance on love by sacrificing so much to be with me.

OK, thats my story. Whos next? :)

Kelley Lynn:)

Re: Brides & Grooms: How did you and Fiance meet?
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 11:00 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I'm next!

Great story Kelley!  This is a fun post.

Well I moved to Colorado on my own 4 years ago and immediately started dating someone and my whole life revolved around him.  After 1 year, I found out he was cheating on me with my roommates little sister (18 at the time!) and I was devasted.  All of my friends had known...it was very depressing.  So I moved out of that apartment and into a new house with some girls I had found online, and basically abandoned my former life.  I was very lonely during those times, but was lucky enough to have a brand new puppy named Dallas.  Well we had a great friend and neighbor, Ben, who I would always hang out with, and he would watch Dallas for me whenever I needed him to.  Well one day he was watching D and my friend Stacey and I went to pick him up and my FH was hanging out with Ben.  He was tall and blonde and blue eyed and I thought he was a hottie :)  I was nowhere near ready for a relationship, but we became instant friends.  For almost a year we would go to the dog park together (he had a dog the same age as mine, Lilly, same breed - yellow lab), and go out dancing and things, but we were always just friends.  Then one night we were out at a bar with all of our friends and the band played Tiny Dancer by Elton John which is one of my favorite songs.  FH asked me to dance and we looked in each other's eyes and that was it!  We were both hooked!  We dated for a year and then moved here to California to start our lives together.  He proposed about 6 months after we moved here and we are getting married next week.  I love him to death and he is my best friend.

K

www.wineandvows.com

Daisypath Ticker

KitKatBar Posts : 983 Registered: 7/23/06
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 11:29 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Oh good post!

We actually met in our sophmore year history class. He sat behind be and took my stuff alot. He moved away mid semester, and we corosponded a bit over letters and phone, but fell apart after a while. Well, fast foward to 2000, I get a phone call from FH, who I haven't spoken to in about 2 years. He says he's comming up and if I'd like to meet up with him. So I did. He started comming up every weekend, and eventually moved up to where I am.

We'll have been together just over 6 years by the time we get married.  

December2007Bride Posts : 169 Registered: 8/23/06
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 1:10 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

What a great post!

My FH and I met when I was a senior in high school and he was a freshman in college. I had decided to take an english class at my local college, and accidentally signed up for the wrong class! I had meant to take Comp.1, but instead signed up for technical writing.  I decided to stick with it anyway. (Boy, am I glad I did!) The first day of class, I show up, and am sitting around, waiting for class to start, and in walks this really hot guy. He chooses a seat two rows over and about 4 seats up. We both kind of just checked each other out. For 2 months, we would only see each other in that class. He would turn around in his seat and stare at me, and when I would "catch" him, he would pretend to be looking out the window! It was so cute. We would occasionally go to the computer lab for projects, and the first time we did, I hadn't set up my account yet with the college, so the professor asked Chase (FH, who had conveniently chosen the computer right behind mine!) if I could use his computer, which he had already logged into, if I could set up my account on his computer. I was so nervous I could barely type! He walked me to my car that afternoon after class. We started parking closer to one another. Another day in the computer lab, only half the class had shown up, and the lab was pretty much empty, he asks me if the computer right next to mine was being used. I was like "No, help yourself." We just kind of chatted and flirted. Finally, I got sick of the going-no-where flirting, and passed him going down the road one day. I turned around, and saw his truck at his workplace, so I decided to stop by and say hi and ask if he wanted to hang out sometime outside of class. It turns out, he worked in an office that was really relaxed (answering telephones for businesses that are closed) and he was there alone. We ended up spending like 5 hours just hanging out up there that night. And sharing our first kiss! We've been together ever since!

ChrissLady Posts : 1,352 Registered: 4/5/06
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 8:43 AM Go to message in response to: December2007Bride

It was the first day of my freshman year in high school and the first day of his senior year.  Let him tell the story and I moved from three rows over just to sit behind him and play in his hair. (He's shaved now, but back then he had curly black hair.)  But if my memory serves me correct, he moved to sit closer to me.  Who cares though?  I met the love of my life my first day of high school.  Who would've thunk it?!? 

Posted: Sep 7, 2006 9:49 AM Go to message in response to: ChrissLady

Oh.... you girls have such great stories, mine is a little boring, we met at a nightclub......tup I was 18 and my daughter was a month old and it was my 1st time out since I had her, and he just walked right up to me and asked my name, we talked until the club closed, I gave him my # thinking he would never call....especially since I told him that I just had a daughter (and being a single young mother is not so hot to some guys) especially when there were pleanty of other girls that he could date without responsibility....well he called the next day and asked me out and I told him that I have a hard time finding someone to watch my daughter as I only trust leaving her with my mom, and he said we will go out at a time good for you to bring your daughter, I'd like to get to know her too!!!! And we have been together ever since and now we are coming up on our 2 month wedding anniversary!!

Posted: Sep 7, 2006 10:15 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Very interesting and romantic stories ladies.  Mine is a bit different.

I started working at a nursing home kitchen a month before my 17th birthday.  There was quite a few younger guys that worked the part~time shift with me(I was the only girl that stayed for more then a week for part~timers).  I would flirt with the guys, and they would flirt back, I didn't have a lisence so all of them that did always asked me if I needed a ride home.  I wasn't looking for a relationship or anything, I had given up on guys for the time being and just wanted to hang out with friends and families...especially since I had just gotten out of an abusive relationship.  There was a guy, Kenny, that I continually flirted with every week.  I would work the early shifts on the weekends and during the summer, he would come in at 12:30.  I would yell out to him, "I missed ya Kenny!" not meaning anything really.  Well the summer before I turned 18, he asked me if I would hang out with him, I said sure...still not looking for anything relationship wise...and here we are, 5 years later, living together for 4 years, and engaged for 2 & 1/2 yrs...and I occasionally tell him that I was never looking for a relationship...just to hear him laugh about it!

Posted: Sep 7, 2006 10:38 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

my husband and i met on june 29th, 2001. i was home from college for the summer and was invited to a party by a friend.  the party was an outdoor pajama party which was being hosted by my friend's co-worker who i had this major crush on (marcus)-so naturally i was very excited to go. 

when we got to the party- the first person i met was marcus' brother mike. he was really nice and we sat on the porch and chatted for about and hour. 

the party got kind of wild and somehow a huge glass vodka and cranberry juice got spilled all over my cute pajamas.  i was drenched and looked terrible.  mike quickly got up and grabbed a pair of medical scrubs for me and showed me where i could change. he was so sweet and we hung out for the rest of the evenning togther-

we dated for about 5 weeks and then i had to back to school- which was horrible.  we decided to do the long distnace thing and we knew that if it was meant to be our relationship would be okay.

we did the long distance thing for about a year and a half until i graduated in dececmer of 2002 and moved back to MN.

we dated for another 2 years and than in dec of 2004 we got engaged and finally  we were married this last may.

ironically mike's brother marcus (the one i had the crush on) met a girl at the party too and they also dated for a few years and then got married!!!  love was definatly in the air that night!!!!! Kiss

49ersfanatic Posts : 581 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 11:06 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Mark and I met online thru Yahoo Persoanls. My ad/profile kept coming up on his list but it took him a while to email me because he thought I came across as a bitch. Haha silly him because in 8 days we will be celebrating our 2 month wedding anniversary. I love him sooooooooooooooo much!

Posted: Sep 7, 2006 11:28 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I love that there are more people that have met online! My FH and I did too. I decided to put an ad on Catholicmatch.com and he contacted me through an e-mail, although he says I contacted him first. We talked for 3 months and decided to meet. He tells me now that he didn't think I was interested and was about to end things 2 weeks after we started dating. Thank God for his sister in law who told him to give it more time! We'll be married in May!

RoBelle Posts : 1,236 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 11:38 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

We were co-workers, who became really good friends in the summer of 98.  I was going through some serious changes at that time and he of course was there to help me get through it all.  It wasn't until Valentine's Day in 2000 when the "secret" came out that he REALLY liked me and we started dating on that day. 

For the rest of that year, I pretty much kept our relationship quiet and then introduced him to my daughter's later on.  My girls loved him automatically and they hit it off right away.  About a year later we decided to move in together, get married and buy our first house, but then 9/11 came and he lost his job so we had to put the house and wedding off until we were able to do them.  It took about a year and a half for him to get back on his feet.  He actually didn't start working steady again until Jan 03'.  We still had ways to go because we had to catch up in all of our debt that we incurred while he was not working.  It wasn't until over a year ago we started saving real money again making our wedding AND first house a MAJOR priority.  So we've accomplished the wedding, now. . . it's house time baby!!!

Posted: Sep 7, 2006 11:39 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I love reading these!

FI and I met at a Halloween party.  His brother and sister-in-law were the hosts.  I worked w/ his SIL at the time.  This was right after "Chicago" the movie came out.  As a dancer, I was way into it.  So I went as Velma Kelly, complete with sequins, fishnets, high heels and hat.  He came as Judge Judy.  Yup.

He says he was attracted to my height and long legs.  I liked that he had a good sense of humor!

He never asked me out until the next party they threw, for the SuperBowl.  We've been together for 2 and 1/2 years, enaged for almost 4 months and will be get married in June!

Posted: Sep 7, 2006 11:45 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Ok mine is a little embarrassing Andrew and I meet on line. There was a picture of his dog Timmy (Andrew does not want to say it but now my dog) and I was raised with two labs and I said oh he has a lab and he is cute so I wrote him. I told him your dog is so cute. He wrote back and we hitted it off right away. We talked on the phone and email for about a month and decided to meet for lunch. We meet in a parking lot and it was big i was thinking he will never find me. A guy in a jeep drove up and he looked over and i said are you Andrew he said yes. Well as soon as we meet for lunch our date became a dinner date and I finally left at 12am and came back for dinner two days later and never left. As soon as I got in his car and looked over at him i know he was the one.

Posted: Sep 7, 2006 11:57 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I was working as a Leasing Consultant at an apartment complex when my FH came in to see a one bedroom.  I was pretty distracted that day because it was Saturday and I didn't want to be there and mostly because I was still talking to my long distance ex and trying to figure out if we should work things out. 

So FH comes and goes, and the next day, I went to Philly (from FL) to meet up with my ex and have a face to face talk.  While we were there, I realized it was truly over, and that it had been over for a long time, and that there was  no hope. 

I got back to FL, and a couple of days later FH calls my office and asks questions about the apartment then says "I already know all this" I was like "Ok then what do you want (in my head)" and he asked if I was doing anything later.  I wasn't.

I really went out with him that night because I needed a distraction.  Though I knew in my heart that breaking up with my ex was a good decision, I felt that I had lost my best friend. A movie and some drinks sounded fun....

Before we got to the theater, we both knew we were going to really like each other.  We talked the whole way there. IN the middle of the first date, he asked me out for the next night and we've pretty much haven't spent more than a couple of days apart.  He's my soulmate! 

November 3, 2007 I marry my best friend!

RMB0414 Posts : 1,386 Registered: 8/2/06
Posted: Sep 7, 2006 1:53 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I love reading everyones stories!!

My FH and I have known of each other prob since the 6th grade.  My good friend of the time lived in the neighborhood that his family just moved into.  I never really gave him a second thought, to be honest my freshman year of high school another one of my friends brought him to the homecoming and I kind of laughed at her.  Look who's laughing now!!  He graduated a year ahead of me and then went off to the Marine Corps.  He came back in the spring of 04 and we ended up being in this bar in town one  night - I was celebrating one of my friends bdays and he was just out having a good time.  He bought us a drink and then we hung out talking on his deck for the night.  I remember standing out there doing that stupid flirty thing and his friend kept whispering to him you chicken shit.  LOL I was laughing in my head because I knew what was going on.  He ended up going to California a few days later to meet with friends of the USMC and got a call from his friend saying that I wanted his number and it was huge news lol.  Apparently we both felt the same thing that night on the deck and were both scared to ask for a number.  Well yadda, yadda, yadda, we finally go out to dinner and over 2 years later we're getting married.  Let's just hope the military doesn't recall him back to Iraq now and we can get on with our lives!!! 

04.14.2007 - I become a Mrs!! 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine