Honorary Bridesmaids?

Online Users: 1,294 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4
Honorary Bridesmaids?
Posted: Sep 5, 2006 11:23 PM

Has anyone assigned this title to people? Between my sisters and sisters in law i have seven potential sisters, all of whom I would like to include, but i really dont see myself having 11 bridesmaids. My FMIL brought up the honorary bridesmaid thing and I thought it sounded good, but im not sure whats involved in that.  Does anyone know, or know of any other good ways to involve non-brides maids? 

Message was edited by HippieBride on Sep 5, 2006 11:24 PM

Re: Honorary Bridesmaids?
Posted: Sep 6, 2006 3:30 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i would say bridesmaid, or NOT a bridemaid. an honorary bridemaid gets what? a name in a program? i think there are many ways to include special people into your wedding by giving them actual roles, rather than honorary. you could ask two to be guest book attendants, and have them ask people to sign the book as they enter. you could have 2 readings and a psalm thus including three more roles. or maybe one could read a poem and an excerpt of a fav play or song, if you are not doing readings. i think it would just be nice to have an official role for everyone, but thats just me. just remember there are plenty of ways to involve folks who are nopt bridesmaids or groomsmen.

Posted: Sep 6, 2006 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have a similar issue... I have 4 sisters, and 3 neices, the littlest is going to be the flower girl (she will be 7) but I didn't want 6 bridesmaids. However I can honestly not see my sisters being upset that they aren't bridesmaids... and I think they would honestly prefer me to let the older girls (who will be 14 and 15) by my bridesmaids. My sisters will help them out I"m sure if my neices want to have a shower (I don't expect one I mean they are still in high school) 

So to the point... will any of them really not be at all offended if you can't include them? I mean the ideas of readers etc is nice but I know my wedding isn't going to be having any of that stuff so in case yours isn't either its something to think about. 

Kim

Posted: Sep 6, 2006 4:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My FSIL's wedding had honorary bridesmaids. Nobody even knew unless you look in the program, but I know that it made some of her friends happy to be called that. The "honorary bridesmaids" did things like sing a special, help with the rehearsal and were in some of the pictures. Personally I think it would be easier just to ask them to do things like the guest book, or help with something but if you think they want the title, then I don't think it could hurt.
MayBride050507http://www.TickerFactory.com/">
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10716;6/st/20070505/e/Wedding/dt/-1/k/a642/event.png">>

Posted: Sep 6, 2006 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, we had an honorary flower girl and an honorary ring bearer, but that was only because my DH's niece and one of his nephews were babies and too young to walk down the aisle but we still wanted to mention them in the program.  I wouldn't recommend giving the title to a sister, though.  It might hurt their feelings.

I know 11 seems like a lot of people, but it won't seem like that many if you have seven sisters between the two of you.  DH and I had 8 bridesmaids.  When anyone asked why so many, I told them we have 5 sisters between us, plus I had 3 friends since kidnergarten I wanted to include.  Once I mentioned the 5 sisters, everyone understood, because a lot of people automatically expect you and your FH's sisters to be bridesmaids.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine