BRIDES: Share your WEDDING DISASTER Stories, and how you dealt with it!!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 102

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
BRIDES: Share your WEDDING DISASTER Stories, and how you dealt with it!!!
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 3:36 PM

Hi Ladies.... awhile back, I put up a post asking for your favorite moments on your Wedding Day. I am LOVING reading all the responses. Lets go the other direction... Ive always been curious as to how couples deal with strange/unexpected or just plain horrific conditions on their wedding day. Things like power outages, storms, getting sick, someone not showing up, food being missing or awful, cake being dropped, ANYTHING you can think of. Has anyone ever dealt with this type of wedding disaster , or been to a wedding where you witnessed it? Id LOVE to hear about it!!! Thanks!
Kelley Lynn:)

Re: BRIDES: Share your WEDDING DISASTER Stories, and how you dealt with it!!!
Posted: Aug 9, 2006 5:00 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

No disasters, but some weird moments that will happen anytime you have a lot of people in a room...
- MIL asked me what size dress I wore in front of everyone, while eyeing my friend who'd just given birth up and down. I just smiled and said "You know wedding dress sizes are so funny!" and walked away.
- My mom's friend started bashing on the hospital I had just accepted a job at. I just smiled and acted like I had somewhere else to go.
- Hubby's friend's girlfriend wore a dress that didn't cover anything and everyone saw her lack of panties. I just laughed. What else can you do!?

Posted: Aug 9, 2006 7:00 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

My MOH had just finished her very touching and heartfelt toast (the last) and the caterer motioned that dinner was ready to serve. I cheerfully thanked everyone and invited them to the buffet when WHAM! My 11 yr old niece crashes onto the floor from the staircase where she'd been chasing her toddler brother. Apparently he was running down them, tripped, and she grabbed him just in time -- except she had to take the entire impact onto the HARD WOOD floors. There was that scary moment of silence where she was just crumpled over him, and then of course he started wailing. She was also crying but kept quiet until her dad got her out of the room.

She ended up being fine, bruising her pride more than anything else (but we were scared as she landed on her shoulder and side). Still, it was completely awkward as it was VERY loud, happened at a moment and place where no one missed it, & we were expected to go through the buffet to get everyone past the incident. We got our food, encouraged all to follow, and I pretty much put my plate down at the end of the table to go check on her. Once I knew she was fine, I went back to the reception.

Posted: Aug 10, 2006 9:45 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Nothing to big but my bridesmaid dresses which we ordered in feburary did not come in until the Thursday before my wedding..thats 2 days and they still needed to be altered. It was stressful but the dresses turned out more beautiful then imagined.

Also at the reception we had a lady that wanted to hide inside the building because there was some people chasing her that wanted to beat her up. Our caterer ended up driving her home.

If you really think about it. Chocolate comes from a Coco Bean...therefore its a vegetable right?

Posted: Aug 11, 2006 1:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Not quite a disaster, but almost. Driving home from the rehearsal the night before the wedding, my parents car blew a gasket. Not too big of a deal as we caught it and made other arrangments for the big day, plus my parents still had their truck.

We had an 11 am ceremony and an hours drive so the morning was an early start, make up at six at the house. At seven my Dad went to start the truck to drive me to get my hair done and the truck wouldn't start. We had to push it out of the driveway and try and boost it with the makeup lady's car. Finally we borrowed the makeup lady's car to get me to the appointment.

Instead of getting my hair done with my mom and gran, I sat with curlers wondering if the tow truck could get the truck to start. Luckily they did - especially because we needed to use the truck to bring in the sound equipment and some of the decorations. Everything worked out in the end, we arrived a head of schedule despite everything, and it is a pretty funny story to tell. And the kicker is my parents had taken both of the vehicles in for a tune up a week before the wedding. Oh well...

Posted: Aug 11, 2006 4:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Nothing happened that was too horrible at my wedding. Our fountain that we rented didn't work, because the pump was bad, so the florist (who we rented it from) had to stay and fix it the morning of the wedding. AND, our wedding cake had pink flowers on it instead of red ones, and it looked very odd, because our color was red. But the little old lady (a friend of a friend, who charges an EXTREMELY reasonable price) didn't notice (color blind??? or something!!!), so I didn't have the heart to tell her it wasn't what we wanted. Plus, she didn't add the draping on the sides that we wanted either. But it still tasted good!

One of my friends is a different story!!!!!! They had the WORST time with their caterer!!!!! 

So Friday morning, we all got to the church to decorate at 10am. The caterer was supposed to have met the bride's mother at 9am to drop off all the table linins. No show. Called her home. No answer. She has no work phone, because evidently she has no kitchen at the moment and "shares" one with another establishment. She has no store front, because she sold it, and is in the process of setting up a new business. (AND in the past, she had moved and had not contacted bride and her family for some time as to where she was)

Oh, and just so you know, by this point, this woman has been paid in full already as a part of their contract.

So we did as much as we could. We got everything ready, including centerpieces. We even had them out on the chairs ready to go. All we needed were the stinking tablecloths!!!!! FINALLY, bride's dad had to drive to where this woman's husband worked, and waited until he got back from his lunch hour, and had to ask him where in the world his wife was.

So then the caterer finally came. She breezed in and said......Oh, I'm soooooo busy! i have 2 weddings tomorrow, and i've been cooking all day!!! (Um, EXCUSE me?!?!?!?) She dropped of the linens and left. The bride at this point, is pretty much in tears!! She didn't say a word to the caterer - I'm glad she didn't. But if it had been me...that woman would have gotten it!!!

And as we were putting the table skirts on.......they were DIRTY!!!! Evidently (says they caterer, AFTER the fact) It costs EXTRA for clean linens. Um, Who wouldn't want CLEAN LINENS!!!?!?!?!? AND, the woman had borrowed them from a hotel in town. What!!?!?  So we did our best to hide the spots, but it was so gross, and the bride was so worrie dthat people were going to see them!

Fast forward to wedding day....(yep, there's more)

Everything was going great.....until the caterer was supposed to get there. Yep. She didn't. The wedding coordinater (one of the most wonderful women in the world!!) had to send one of the guests....yes....one of the GUESTS....out to the store to buy materials for punch, because they had a punch fountain that needed to be running when everyone got out of the ceremony. And a couple people helped with that. 

When the caterer finally got there, she breezed in and said, "WE just go so caught up in the other wedding, I have two today you know, and we were so busy.." So she was like an hour late at least! We were able to keep most of that information from the bride, THANK GOODNESS!!!!

(By the way, the food was great, but I should have mentioned that we had created a pizza backup plan :) )

then after the wedding we all started to help clean up. One of the women walked in on the cater....THROWING FOOD AWAY!!!!! She said"Well, I have to take my trays with me, and I can't take the food home!" Um, these people paid for the food. It's theirs!! So we ended up boxing up what was left over ourselves so that the bride's family could take it home. But then, get this - the caterer before she left, had the GALL to tell everyone about her new business - something about putting a bistro conjunciton with someone else's business or something. I'm sorry, but 200 members of this church just witnessed your rudeness and unprofessionalism, and you want US to frequent your restaurant? I don't think so! AND (this is even better) she even as the bride's mother to write her a letter of reccommendation!!!!! HA!!!! Like that's ever going to happen!!!

I just could not believe this woman!!! the bride handled everything fairly well, all things considered. Had it been me, I would have let her have it! I don't know what they're going to do, since they had already paid her, but I think they might look into if they can get some of their money back.But I couldn't believe what happened!!!

Posted: Aug 11, 2006 8:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

WOW thats quite a story FFbride.... yeah, I think if I was that bride, I would have become a MAJOR Bridezilla at that point. Thats just insane behavior. I was literally cracking up at the part about "who woudlnt want Clean linens??" Too funny.:)

Posted: Aug 11, 2006 9:15 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I couldn't believe it either! I would have become a Bridezilla too! But we felt so bad because my friend was in tears!! But yeah. Who really wants to put on a wedding with dirty table skirts? And it wasn't just one, it was all of them. And they were HUGE stains!! Ick!

AlohaAroha Posts : 686 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Aug 12, 2006 7:32 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Wow!  That's awful!  My caterer was a bit of a disaster, but nothing like that!  She was two hours late, but signaled that the food was ready right on schedule, only when we sat down it didn't come!  I finally ended up checking on her, and then the food started coming.  It was being served family style, but after the salad bowls came out, it was forever before the mains came, and then they didn't have the purple sweet potatoes and rice that were supposed to accompany them.  That came out 15 minutes late!  And the servers were so bad my dad actually got up and started helping them!

But the food was really really yummy, and there were all sorts of extras like sashimi and limpets and haupia (coconut pudding) that were totally a surprise, so no biggie.  I'll take fabulous food and questionable service over perfect service and questionable food!

Posted: Aug 12, 2006 11:10 AM Go to message in response to: AlohaAroha

After reading the above stories mine is not that bad. But the biggest problem we had was when we were finish with pics and getting ready to leave to go to the reception I couldn't find my car keys. I had given to my MOH that morning to go get something out of the car and she put them on a table in the classroom we were getting ready in but no keys. So after my Dh fussed that I know better to give my keys to my MOH becuse she has a habbit of losing things. She drove us to the reception site me in the front seat and him in the back seat(there was a carseat in the back) we get there and come to find out my mom took my car keys she thought they were hers. So my brother and new ssil went to go get my car then they had fun writing all over it(was too cute)

RoBelle Posts : 1,236 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Aug 16, 2006 2:27 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

While getting ready in the bridal suite, the men in the party showed up so the photographer went to work right away and started taking pictures of them. My aunt showed up with some BEAUTIFUL flowers and gave them to the bridal attendant to be added to the centerpieces. Soon after it was time for the photographer to come into the suite to capture the photos of my dress, my shoes, the jewerly, my veil. . . . . my veil. . . . my. . . . veil. . . . wait a minute, WHERE IS MY VEIL?!?!?!? OH NO!!! I LEFT THE FREAKIN VEIL AT HOME!! OK NOW I'M BURSTING INTO TEARS BIG TIME!!!

What am I going to do WITHOUT a veil?!?!?!

GOD IS SOOOO GOOD!! Luckily the photographer grew up in the SAME neighborhood that we live in currently and KNEW exactly where we live when my husband gave him the address. HE QUICKLY offered to travel back to the Bronx to pick up my veil for me and he made it there and back within 45 mins. What a blessing he was for me.

Posted: Aug 17, 2006 10:32 AM Go to message in response to: RoBelle

WOW! Thats pretty amazing that your photographer was from where you are also from. Did you know this ahead of time or was it a surprise to you? thats sooo cool. Good to talk to another NYer:) I live in Jersey, but 10 min outside of NYC and my life is pretty much in NYc lol. I am in the city everyday for work etc. And our wedding is on long island. :)

Posted: Aug 17, 2006 11:21 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

What went wrong........THE HALL.......My wedding and reception was in the same hall (same room) It was theatre style seating for the ceremony and then the guests (32 small wedding) we brought to the bar to get a drink while they put my 4 tables out. (I set up ALL FOUR of my tables the thursday before my wedding with place cards for each guest and wrote their food selection on the back, set up the centerpieces I made, put out the disposable cameras, everything except for what the hall was supposed to do ie. plates, water and champane glasses, and they were supposed to light my candles on the tables) Somehow they messed up which table goes where, then the appetizers that were supposed to be served in my hall after the guests were told the could go back were instaed served right at the bar (the bar had other customers not just the wedding party) with no napkins or anything and they only made 2 out of my 4 appitizers, by the way I paid for all of this is full 2 weeks before the wedding, my bartender was not there guests had to pour their own wine and go to the bar to get their oun beer, the 2 servers I paid for for the ENTIRE night (till 10 pm) left after dinner was served (6:30pm) the servers had no idea who was eating what they were just putting food down and guests were trading plates, they caught a bread basket on fire, did not have the baby food I requested for my niece, they did not refill any water glasses or get anyone a drink...they put the food on the tables and hauled ass. The hall would not turn on the ac to the room I had rented because it was too much for the unit to handle WTF it was 80 degrees in there (I turned it down myself) they did not have my champane for the toast (the dj had to get the champane from the kitchen) we had no one to cut our cake (Hubby and hubbys step dad and a couple of guests did it) no coffee, they wouldn't put our pastries (we had 4 trays) in their fridge and they melted due to the lack of air conditioning. They took our serving set for the cake and our bride and groom champane glasses, and started having people clean the room at 9:15 and we paid to have the hall till 10:30, they threw away everything. They didn't decorate my ceiling the way I wanted it (with the decoration I bought) because they though it looked to gaudy (hello is this your wedding or mine?) They screwed EVERYTHING UP and that isn't even all of it I could go on for days.....we sent a letter demanding to be refunded some money for the services and food we paid for and did not recieve. Will we get anything back, doubt it!!

Posted: Aug 17, 2006 11:24 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Wow Kelley, that's freaky - I'm in the same situation lol, live about 10-15 mins out of NYC in NJ, but I was born raised, and lived until 2 years ago in the Bronx, lol - it's still home to me!  Nice to see you guys here :)

Gin.. oh my gosh, I would have flipped out!  I really think I would have sicced one of my larger GM's on someone who ran that place!  Was the owner there??

Jamie and Bill
Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Aug 17, 2006 11:58 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

That's one of the things I loved about having a wedding coordinator. She took care of all the problems we had, and we didn't have to worry about it. Even with my friend, the wedding coordinater made it very clear that the service the caterer provided was extremely unsatisfactory. Just imagine the sweetest woman ever being extremely pissed!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine