BRIDES: Share your WEDDING DISASTER Stories, and how you dealt with it!!!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 102
Re: BRIDES: Share your WEDDING DISASTER Stories, and how you dealt with it!!!
Posted: Oct 11, 2006 9:34 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Wow, It never ceaces to amaze me that there are people out there that can screw things up so royally.  I am a wedding Photographer and I always make sure I make the bride happy (lots and lots of photos and of the type she and I both want-around 400 or more)    A wedding I did a couple of years ago, was almost  a disaster when the caterer booked another wedding on the same day.  Bride was in tears, everything was a mess so I called a friend who runs a restarurant and convinced him he could cater - all in a matter of a few hours.  Called another friend who flowers and decorations (interior decorator of all things) and we got the wedding off beautifully in less than twelve hours.  The bride even got complimented on the wonderful caterer.  Sorry you were dissatisfied with yours,  - just remember - its not the cost of the photographer or caterer, its the experience and overall reputation you have to consider.  

Posted: Oct 11, 2006 11:27 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thankfully my wedding got by with only a few Minor incidents.

The biggest being that i had planned on my friend Decorating the reception hall for me on the morning of so me and my girls could go out for breakfast... well i found out the day before the wedding that she had suddenly come down with strep and that the doctor had ordered her on bed rest. So i had to change plans and with the help of 3 of 5 BM's we got it done in an hour. Thankfully though my friend was able to be at the wedding.

Secondly me Aunt was told that we where not doing pictures with the Grandparents so both of my Grandparents left so opps. The whole reception the where glarring at me for being rude when it was just a mix up as to that my aunts pics where to be taken at the reception. As a resualt the pics of my grandma's look really bad...

Thirdly... my veil would NOT stay in. it was breezy that day and it literally blew away at one point. Everyone was just staring at it blow arounfd the church parking lot. i was like... umm can one of you go get that? so much for "attendents" just kidding.

Everything else went splendid!!!

I just love wedding planning to much to stop now!

Married the man of by Dreams June 10th, 2006Daisypath Ticker"

Posted: Oct 15, 2006 3:00 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

When a friend of mine was getting married we decided to have the batchelor and batchelorette party the week before so no one would be green the morning of the wedding.  We were having the parties in separate places. The girls were headded to a bar with the grooms mother as designated driver (she was so cool).  The boys were having a little party of their own at the best mans house.  They had more than enough food and drink and were told that in the event that they needed something our DD would leave the bar we were at (5 min down the street) and get it for them.  Later that night after our party I got a call from the bride telling me her FH was in serious condition undergoing surgery after being in a car accident.  (they were racing and hit a house)  The wedding was less than a week away and she didn't know what was going to happen.  Turns out he was able to make the wedding day.  He had to wear black sweat pants because his tux wouldn't fit over the cast.  The flower girls wanted to practice walking down the aisle while the bride was getting dressed.  The bride got upset when the flower girls cried and said her FH looked like a monster with the cuts and stitches in his face and they were afraid to walk down the aisle.  To top it all off they had to switch their suite to a handicapped room and have the FOB carry the groom into the room.  Fortunately he learned his lesson and they are doing great.

soulfulsista Posts : 75 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 15, 2006 10:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well I did not have a BIG disaster, but there was something. My bridesmaids and I were at the hair shop very, very early in the morning getting our hair touchups and makeup done (our wedding was at 10am) and I was due to the ceremony site to get dressed at 8:45am. Well we were probably not even 5 minutes late (got to the site before 8:50am) and when we got to the site, there were already guests there! I couldn't believe it, who is actually on time for a wedding, let alone 1 hour early! Well anyways, the guests watched me and my bridesmaids and groomsmen scrambling to get our stuff and me to the bridal suite. Yet through all of this, the best man had the nerve to say, "we're not supposed to see the bride yet!" I replied, "then turn around and you won't see her!"

Posted: Oct 16, 2006 5:22 PM Go to message in response to: soulfulsista

Everything was running on time and I was just seconds away from walking down the asile when there was a beeping on the intercom system. My bridesmaid said "Does that mean that it is time for us to go???" I shrugged my shoulders and looked at everyones faces. Then suddenly their was a bright flashing light on the wall and all the doors in the building shut. FIRE AlARM!!! My dad dashed for the door thinking we were going to be locked in proped it open and took off down the hall, my jaw just dropped I could not belive this was happening. My girls tried to keep my mind off it by making silly coments like are the firemen coming you know how I like firemen! And another said well if the sprinklers start going off dive under the table! Everyone in the room waiting for me to come out did not know what was going on they could just see the flashing light, by this time in my bridal room there was a voice on the intercom saying "a fire has been reported in the building please report to the nearest exit" The manager came in and said he does not know what is going on but to no evacuate the building. After about 10 mins. they finally got it turned off and I was able to go get married! We made light of it the whole night with silly fire alarm jokes. The manager discounted our bill for the night by about 80% and they gave us gift cards to come back and eat. I think that counts as a disaster!

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Oct 18, 2006 11:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Wow these are all great stories..thanks everyone for posting.

Gin,are you saying you got 80% off your final wedding bill??? DAmn, thats a great deal! A fire alarm, what luck lol.

Kelley Lynn:)

elitegrp Posts : 1,048 Registered: 9/12/06
Posted: Oct 19, 2006 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

when i married Eric the first time..and now we are remarrying.. my weddng day was so comical..  the video has it all so that is what makes it great!

lets see.. the photographer went to his place instead of coming to me at the hotel where we were getting married.. so photos of him getting ready instead of me.  NEXT.  i went to put on a pair of beautiful mobe earrings that he bought for me.. with diamonds and a tear drop shape.. absolutely beautiful.. and i broke the post and we had to super glue the earring to my ear.. that was interesting.. skin with gold.. i could not take this earring off for 3 days...  NEXT.. my flowers were roses.. oceanas.. and if they get too hot they get this combustion going on.. and they explode.. and fall apart.. all my roses fell apart.. not too cool when my bridesmaids were only holding a single rose.  LOL>. that had to be my favorite.. we were all cracking up. NEXT.  the ring bearer did not want to walk down the isle.. which was my son.. because he did not like to be around the flower girl.. they were contstantly fighting..  so i had to have them seperated the entire time.  Overall it was a great wedding.. we all had time.. at the reception the only thing that happened agan that wasnt cool.. the kids got into the fondue station... hands faces etc... it was a mess.

Tammy@elitetravelgroup.net

www.HoneymoonGiveaway.com

for daily specials www.elitetravelgroup.net

Look forward to hearing from you and helping in any way I can, from one bride to another!!

Tammy Levent

NatSeptBride Posts : 888 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 8:34 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

My florist was suppose to drop our flowers off at the church at 8 am.. My husband or the best man were going to pick up the bouts for the groomsmen, and me or my mil were going to pick up our flowers at 9 am.   My husband went to pick up his bouts, at 9 am.. They were not ready, my mil went to pick up our flowers and they were not ready.  Meanwhile the florist was suppose to of already been at the reception facility setting up, and he hadn't even started some of the bouquets... In the meantime we're all dressed and ready to go, but my mil is still waiting at the florists, and doesn't have her cell phone... We couldn't leave without her so we had to wait... The men left for the church with no bouts.  45 mins AFTER the ceremony was suppose to start we were finally on our way to the church, with out bouquets... Mine which was totally wrong, and brown.  When we arrive at the church the florist had just gotten there to deliver the flowers, and the bouts.. The bouts were ALLLLLLL wrong, and ALLL completely different!!!!  They didn't make the corsages for our mothers, and grandmothers... So they pinned bouts on our mothers!!  Actually it was some of the family that was helping to pin on flowers because the florist was doing who knows what, just not his job!  The girl that delivered my flowers to the front of the church walked up infront of my guests in track pant capris, and a belly shirt.  They forgot the roses that were suppose to be given to our mothers during a rose ceremony we'd planned as a surprise for them.  In the meantime the ceremony started and finished.. The reception started at 12... And the florist showed up late there to set up which apparently caused my guests to have to wait outside the hall for them to set up....  We had to pay more for our limo, miss out on pictures with our photographer, our videographer was doing nothing basically during the time they were waiting for us at the church, and we were paying for a cocktail hour for our guests who didn't get it when they were suppose to due to our florist being late yet again....... We've talked to a lawyer and he's advised us to take the florist to small claims court as he's not willing to refund our money. 

On top of all that garbage, my cake was wrong.. It was suppose to have red ribbon with red flowers and white frosting with rose petals sprinkled on it.... It was a coffee color, the ribbon looked like a brownish red color, and then the red flowers on top absolutely not rose petals on the cake.... However the inside was correct which at that point in time was all that mattered to us. 

It was an absolutely amazing day, and I wouldn't change any of it...  The florist owes us money so we're taking care of that, he didn't follow through on his end of the contract.. As for the cake it was a minor thing so it's not a big deal.. It was delicious after all!

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Posted: Oct 30, 2006 8:45 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

HEY ALL!!! I am married!!! I got married on Friday! Now I can finally, months later, post on this thread that I started on Wedding Disasters. YAY! lol. First let me say that my wedding was incredible, and not at all a Disaster (see my post about it under the Friends Section.) HOWEVER, there were quite a few huge bumps in the day that made for a stressful panicked morning leading up to the wedding itself. Most of our problems happened before or after the actual wedding and had to do with travel...

Note to self: Having a wedding at 5pm on a Friday in NY, probably not the best idea. SO MANY people had travel problems, were very late, missed the ceremony entirely due to AWFUL traffic, or got totally lost trying to get there in an area they were unfamilar with. My photographer was supposed to be there at 2pm, so we could do all our pics before the 5pm ceremony. I had it all set up for bride and groom pics at 2, parents arrivign at 3, siblings and wedding party at 4, etc... well she got on the wrong train and ended up 2 hours away from the venue! She was over 2 hours late and didnt get there til almost 4pm. We had family and MOH, BM all standing around doing nothing forever, and I was a mess. I was so grumpy and panicked about time. I kept asking EVERYONE What time is it ? What time is it now? every 5 seconds, because we were so rushed. When she finally arrived, we had to do all these shots really rushed, and we missed out on a bunch of things I really wanted to get on camera. Im still a bit peeved about that, but what can you do?

Then, we were supposed to have a rehearsal RIGHt before the actual ceremony. Rehearsal at 5, ceremony at 530. So 445 comes around, no Minister. 5pm, no Minister. FINALLY he calls at like 515pm and calmly tells me he is stuck in traffic and will be there in a few minutes. Again Im in a panic. He finally arrives and we have to QUICKLY run through the ceremony in about 5 minutes time. I was literrally sweating my ass off at this point because everythign was so rushed lol. Once we finally got started though, things were great... but I thougth I was going to have a heart attack before the ceremony even began.

EVERYONE seemed to have some nightmare story about getting to and from our wedding. Travel nightmares all around. My husbands sisters flight back from NY to Ohio was cancelled THREE times and they sent her back and forth to diff airports ... freezing rain and wind in Cleveland. A normally 90 min flight took her almost 12 hours to just get home. Another friend driving up from Massachusetts forgot her suitcase at home lol. So when she got to NY she had to find a Walmart and buy a dress, pantyhose, underwear, everything! Another group of friends rented a Limo to get to our wedding in, and they all got stuck in traffic for over 2 hours getting there. They missed the whole ceremony and barely made it for the end of cocktail hour. Another friend went the wrong way while driving and somehow ended up going over the GW bridge... TWICE! She was also late by 2 hours.

So lots of travel issues, but all in all, an absolutely wonderful day.

Kelley Lynn:)

Posted: Nov 1, 2006 8:23 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

WOULD YOU WANT TO TELL YOUR STORY NEXT TUESDAY ON THE GREG BEHRENDT SHOW? IF YOU'RE INTERESTED,Currently we are looking for wedding disaster stories. If you and/or a friend have a wedding distaster story that you want to tell on national television. We are also looking for women with horrible bridesmaid dresses to model in our "Worst Bridemaid Dress in America" fashion show. Email your photos to me at cmattison@sonypicturestv.com or respond to this email.

Look forward to hearing from you. 

Posted: Nov 2, 2006 4:41 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I also got married this past Saturday. Our only nightmare was my brother (the bestman), his gf, and my aunt's flight was delayed by two hours and the airport is 2 1/2 hours away. Then they lost their bags. So my mom and I were sitting outside Atlanta Hartsfield for 1 1/2 waiting for them to get their stupid bags and then finally (at like 2:30 am) we got to head home and didn't get back until 5 am (on the day of the wedding!).

RockysGirl Posts : 1,125 Registered: 10/24/06
Posted: Nov 14, 2006 1:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Isn't it funny how a vendor (sonypictures) can post something without a single response and one of us posts it and there are so far 5 pages?  I hate that everyone views us as some strange phenomenon to be gawked at just because we are under a lot of stress and wearing big white dresses. 

Posted: Nov 15, 2006 9:46 AM Go to message in response to: RockysGirl

I really don't think anything meritted disaster, but the day before the wedding my dress (which I paid to have steamed) was unwrapped from its sheet, and was completely wrinkled!  Since I got alterations from my own seamstress, DB wouldn't steam it (oh did my mother let THEM have it, considering how much money that store made off my wedding), but thankfully right before the RD my stepfather talked his cleaners to have it done by the following morning (day of the wedding).  I can't believe that I managed to sleep that night, stressing over them ruining my dress - but everything turned out fine.

Other extremely minor things - the processional started too early, which I think was due to one of my BM's having too many mimosa's ;p  J/K, but I think they misinterpreted a cue, or just didn't think, but she started going down the aisle before one of the GM's rolled down the aisle runner.  Again, which was okay, his partner just went down with my brother instead, and they rolled out the runner before I went down.  Nobody noticed, and the shot of the GM was taken on the way out of the church.

I think people didn't read the guestbook poem.  I do know that all three cameras are MIA, lol.  Not a big deal at all, since a ton of people were taking pictures and assured me I would have copies of all of them.  It's actually saving me money on developing them.  However, one thing that irked me was an aunt of mine (one who has no couth whatsoever) supposedly signed a very lewd message in the book, and signed it with someone elses' name.  This person came up to me to rat her out, lol, but now I think I will just put a picture over this aunt's message - kinda sad, but typical of her, seeing as my future kids might want to read the book one day, and having X-rated material next to heartfelt sentiments is just eww.

One last thing - the main female vocalist to the band (who I LOVE) was sick!  Argh!  I was told this right as I got in line for the reception entrance!  The band leader assured me that her replacement was spectacular - and she was! - but I was still sad that this woman couldn't make it.  The band was still phenominal.

Oh yeah, and the kicker - not that this was a disaster, though I think my heart skipped a beat and my jaw dropped for a split second - but the garter toss was just hilarious.  To make a long story short, all of my BM's wanted to catch the garter - a few of them had long term boyfriends, and a few had their eyes on some of the GMs, lol.  From various sources throughout the night, I was told to NOT aim it at any of them, because their boyfriends were feeling pressured!  So by the time the bouquet toss came around, I took a peek, and all of these ladies looked rather determined.  I decided to aim for for my DH's brother's girlfriend.  Right before I throw it, my photographer tells me to not throw too hard, cause it will catch on the chandelier - the problem was, it was a toss bouquet, and really light, which made it hard to aim.  So, my DH's cousin's girlfriend catches it, which was awesome - though of course I see her boyfriend groan.

Okay, so now it's time for the garter toss - the retrieval was interesting, I kinda hiked the garter WAY up my leg cause I was afraid it would fall off, and I think my DH commented about how he had to travel halfway to Timbucktoo get the stupid thing, lol! - and the photographer reminds my DH the same thing he told me.  Well, obviously, he wanted to aim for this girl's boyfriend (his cousin), and the boyfriend placed himself right behind my DH.  In a moment that will be forever immortalized on my wedding video, DH makes the toss... and my 13 year old brother made a FLYING DIVE that Joe Montana would have been envious of, catches the garter in midair, and lays sprawled out on the floor.  My jaw dropped, my FH bursted out laughing, I think her boyfriend was stupified, then he started laughing, and the girl...

... was not embarrassed in the SLIGHTEST, she winked at my brother, sat down on the chair and hiked up her skirt!  My brother turned beet red, put the garter WAY up her leg but really really fast, and RAN, lol!  The band leader couls barely speak from laughing, my mother was speechless, everyone cheered him on, and the girl cheered him on!  Later on that night, she was the last person I spoke to, and she told me she had a fabulous time, that I had an adorable brother, and that she chased him down afterwards (he was still beet red), and tossed him the garter in the hallway and cheered him on.  No one was stressed or annoyed or grossed out about it - it was honestly hilarious and done in good fun, though I think my mother wanted to kill my brother, and my stepfather wanted to hand him a cigar. ;p

Jamie and Bill
Daisypath Ticker

laurahope Posts : 1 Registered: 2/7/08
Re: BRIDES: Share your WEDDING DISASTER Stories, and how you dealt with it!
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 2:28 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

While no one ended up dieing at my wedding that is about the only way it could have gotten worse- and almost did. My wedding was all outdoors- ceremony and reception. First, we were worried sick about Hurricane Gustav. At the time it looked like it was going to hit anywhere from Alabama to Texas. My wedding was in Mississippi, and even an indirect hit was still going to give us rain woes. Second, my floral supplier called two days for the wedding to tell me my entire order of flowers had been cancelled... way back in June. Why they waited to so long to tell me I don't know. A family friend got up at 6 am and drove an hour and half to the nearest Fed Ex store to pick up my flowers on the day of the wedding, take them to the florist and begin arranging the rest for the reception. Then to doozy... my hubby went quail hunting the morning of our wedding, the gun jammed and blew shrapnel in his neck. He has emergency surgery to remove the piece of  metal from between his carotid artery and internal jugular vein. We ended up getting married later and it actually turned out great. It ended up meaning even more because were both happy, healthy and safe surrounded by people that cared about us most. I also heard the reception- which went on as planned while we were at the hospital was a blast!

Moral of the story- A wedding is just a party for a bunch of mostly casual acquaintance. A marriage is for the two of you and that is really what you should celebrate.

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Re: BRIDES: Share your WEDDING DISASTER Stories, and how you dealt with it!
Posted: Sep 30, 2008 6:21 PM Go to message in response to: laurahope

copy/paste from MY thread wink

The worst thing that happened to us on our wedding day was that his Best Man forgot my wedding band.

I was doing pretty good until then.

His family really tried to help out though. They tried getting all the girls together and going through wedding bands to see if any of them fit me so we could use it for the ceremony. It was nice but none of them fit and I really only wanted to use my own wedding band.

We ended up just using my engagement ring for the ceremony. I was really nervous handing it over. But it worked out well. And when we got back to the beach house we were staying at, my hubby made sure he put it on me.

Also, hubby's mom showed up AFTER the ceremony was over and she was really upset about it but by that time I was just so happy to have it finally over and done and we were finally husband/wife!

Mrs. Pinky

Photobucket 

taken in Galveston 3.5 months before Hurricane Ike destroyed the island

Our Wedding Website

"When you're working with glitter, expect to have it on you forever. Glitter is the herpes of arts and crafts." - Demetri Martin

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine