Overweight but Inspired.......pls Join me!!!

Online Users: 1,353 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8,933

kelleyiskelley Posts : 11,590 Registered: 7/2/06
Re: Overweight but Inspired.......pls Join me!!!
Posted: Aug 24, 2006 8:44 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Summer...hows your "plan of Action" coming along???

Kelley Lynn:)

Posted: Aug 24, 2006 3:37 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Kellylynn~  Good looking out! 

This past Sunday I went on a mini-vacation with my 2 best girlfriends.  We went to Mt. Ranier, WA, where my friend's dad has a cabin.  (This was our third annual trip!  SOOO FUN!)  We brought ONLY healthy foods/snacks with us (except s'mores, gotta have s'mores!!!!!)  We rented a row boat and rowed around the lake.  We fished and had a lake picnic.  It was fabulous!  Rowing is great exercise!!!

HERE IS THE VIEW FROM OUR BOAT:

As far as my action plan is concerned, it is going great so far!  I don't own a scale, but my pants are fitting better, so that is a good sign.  I was afraid I was going to grow out of them and have to break out my 18s from the box in my closet!

We have been cooking at home more. I love it!  The main thing I have to keep in mind is PORTION CONTROL!  I like to load my plate up and then eat it ALL.  Now, I fill my plate with salad and have a regular portion of the main dish.  It seems to be making a difference in my mind set.  I still get to eat for the same amount of time, but I don't feel so gross and full afterward.  When we are too lazy to cook, we get subway...which is yummy AND healthy.  I like the veggie sub and I have them pile up ALL the veggies!

I have been doing well at avoiding soda.  I shared a sprite with hubby last night, but that is the first one I have had in 3 weeks!

We have also been doing well at avoiding snack foods.  Keeping them out of the house is the only way to go.  Trail mix is my favorite thing now.  I like the chocolate lovers kind, because it satisfies my sweet tooth and it's not as bad as a king size snickers, or something.

As far as exercise, as I said, I got some good time in on my "camping" trip, and since I have been home, I have been doing chores like crazy (we are getting ready to move, so there is a lot of hard work to be done.)  I like to put on the music and dance-clean.  It makes for a good time.  Plus I get to laugh at myself for being a terrible dancer and super goofy.

As far as my future goals (Quit Smoking/cut back on beer)  well, they are still "Future Goals" as of yet...but they are on the forefront of my mind.

I just read everyone's recent updates...it is cool to see other people following thru and making progress.  Thank you for inspiring me, Ladies.  Keep up the good work! 

jessd0320 Posts : 1,491 Registered: 7/4/06
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 12:56 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I feel so good with all my exercise and my mostly eating well.... but I'm going out of town this weekend and I don't know how I'll keep myself from pigging out! And I preceeded this weekend by eating six pieces of pizza this evening. I don't know what made me do that!

Posted: Aug 25, 2006 6:53 AM Go to message in response to: jessd0320

HA! Thats ok Jess.. I got lazy last ngiht and blew off the Gym. I wasnt feeling that great, had a headache, but then didnt help things by making linguni and italian sausage for dinner and eating way too much of it.... then I felt sick lol. I think once in awhile we just get sick of being responsible, disciplined people and we go a litlte nuts or get a litlte lazy. Just try not to beat yourself up about it and get back on track right away. One piece of pizza.... or six LOL... wont kill you. :) This weekend , I would just relax and make it your goal to try not to OVEReat..thats an easier goal than trying to eat freakin carrots and lettuce all weekend. Be active too if you can. HAVE FUN.

storm0075 Posts : 416 Registered: 7/9/06
Posted: Aug 25, 2006 12:21 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Ok I know I am not the only person out there with this problem, but here goes... I do not eat enough and when I do eat it is normally junk that I grab on the way from here and there. Does anyone have any ideas for healthy meals on the go? I am not at home several times a week and it is just easier to run to a fast food place than cook a meal when I get home at 9, 10, 11 at night. I have been eating healthier when I go to these joints but I would prefer to not go near them at all. As for planning it ahead of time that is a bust because I never know what is going to happen when I leave work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted: Aug 27, 2006 11:48 AM Go to message in response to: storm0075

hey storm... im the same way. I dont eat enough during the day, because im running around like a maniac going from Job A to Job B...subways,train,car etc... and I hate having ot carry a huge lunchthing with me on days I am at an officejob. ANYWAY...a coouple things Ive been doing that I have foudn helpful are....

Bring along one or a few of the following with you in your shoulder bag on days you are running around like crazy,when you get urges for junk or get hungry, go to these and eat one instead:

(put in ziploc bags and just bring it with you)

mini carrot sticks, trail mix or peanuts and raisins, small box of raisons, granola bars or protein bars, apple,orange, grapes, goldfish crackers, cheerios or some other dry cereal mini boxes, etc etc. There are lots of things you can put together QUICK by throwing into a ziplocbag and then eating it on the go... itll help cuz you wont have to use fastfood places AS MUCH while youre out,and you wont starve either. This helps me on my long 14 hour workdays when Im teaching at the University and cant really get out of the classroom to get food.

Depending on where you are going ..on some days.. you can also prepare other things or bring them to work if you are going somewhere whee you can make things or refrigerate things. For me, it depends on my day...but I work 3 days per week in an office...so what I do is to avoid having to carry stuff with me everytime I go in, I buy a big saladmix bag and some dressing packets, couple pieces of fruit, and microwavable soup or turkey on pita,and i throw it all inside a lunchbox thingy and leave it in the fridge at work. That lasts me the whole week,sometimes longer. Then when its empty, I bring it back home. This way Im only preparing the food once,and only carrying it once. (I work in NYC so its a pain in the ass to have to carry a million things with you while walkin the streets etc)

The last thing you can do is, as you said, when you DO eat the fastfood places, make better choices like grilled chicken sandwiches, salads with lowfat dressing, etc. Even getting a small fry and not large,or a hamburger without cheese,makes a huge difference in calories. Try not to drink soda or very litlte. CArry water bottle with you. And if youre near a SUBWAY, choose that over other places. they have so many great tasting healthy sandwiches that are low in fat. Also Boston Market is good...great side dishes, roasted chicken, etc. I hope this helps you :):)

Meanwhile, Im going to a wedding today!!! So excited to be able to relax and sit back, concentrate on someone ELSES wedding instead of my own just for one day. Its our good friends that are getting married, we are soo happy for them. We were invited to the rehearsal dinner last night and I got the salmon with rice pilaf and salad..it was really yummy and I didnt feel bad /guilty after eating it. Today Im going to treat m yself to the filet mignon since thats my favorite... but Im going to also use the hotel Gym and not fall off track. Ill let you all know how it was.

HOW ARE U ALL DOING???

Posted: Aug 28, 2006 6:58 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

Hi everyone!!  I've been hiding for a week or so....  my scale isn't budging and I have been SUPER unmotivated....  But I am jumping back on plan today!! 

So far I have been doing great today, lots of water and healthy snacks :) I'm going to my swimming class tonight and I am going to try and work out at least 5 days this week.  I need to make up for lost time!!!  You are all so inspirational, Kelley lynn thank you so much for starting this thread :)  I will be checking in every day so that I can lean on all of you for a little support (if you don't mind)  I promise to be supportive to all of you as well... :)  Anyway, just wanted to say sorry I've been avoiding this post.  Thanks for your support!!

Posted: Aug 28, 2006 10:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well... I didnt do too bad this weekend going out of town. I ate at McDonalds twice... but I didn't overeat... oh who knows, its over. My challenge this week is that the areas I use at my gym (pool and lifestyle center... treadmills, weight machines and such) are closed for repair/new equipment, until after Labor day. So I can take my workout outside, jogging and/or walking... but it will depend on the weather, and I got rained out today, so I don't think I'll get five workouts in this week, but who knows. I've got five days left, so I just need to be motivated for the next five days.... we'll see.

Posted: Aug 30, 2006 9:04 PM Go to message in response to: jessd0320

Hey Girls!

It is nice to see everyone checking in and being real.  This thread is so great! 

So I have to share my great news/exercise motivation:  WE GOT A PUPPY!!!  He is half chow and half pit bull.  He is 10 weeks old and SOOO sweet and smart!  His name is Gonzo.  He is so cute, here see for yourself:

Here he is in my mom's herb garden

I am thrilled, because now I have no choice but to get out and walk everyday.  He has to go out every 45 min to potty (slow walk up the block), and we usually take 2 brisk walks around the block every day.  I know as he gets bigger he will want to go farther, so I will be easing into a pain free cardiovascular plan as he grows. 

Eating at home is going well for us.  We ate out a couple of times this past week, but with all the exercise I have been getting I have lost 2.5 lbs!  I know that isn't much, but I am still glad to see some progress.  (I was up to 217 two weeks ago, and am now 214.5.) 

Hey storm...I have a similar problem.  My job is on the go and I usually end up eating fast food for lunch.  I hate it!  Packing a lunch is too much of a hassle.  I just keep ready-to-go snacks on hand so that I can just grab a couple items and stick them in my purse.  (Clif Bar ~ Peanut Toffee Buzz is my favorite flavor...it has caffeine in it!, nuts/trail mix, PB&J Sandwich is quick to make...If I HAVE to eat fast food, I try and keep it as healthy as possible.  My friend and I usually share a salad at Jack in the Box for lunch, it's not so bad.  To boost your metabolism you should drink plenty of water and eat every 3-4 hrs (small amounts, obviously)  It is especially important to eat within the first 1/2 hr of waking up (I struggle with this one!)  I heard some where that if you drink 6oz of cold water upon waking up it will kick start your metabolism BIG TIME. 

I'll be checking in again soon!  Let's keep up the good work!

Posted: Aug 31, 2006 5:00 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi Ladies!

Mind if I join the "support group"?!Smile I think this is so great. Everyone needs motivation ~ especially me! I have lost about 25lbs since getting engaged memorial day weekend. It has been a battle. Especially since all the ladies I work with bring in any kind of sweets, desserts, ice cream, you name it crap practically everyday! Then to top it off, my boss' office is packed with all sorts of candy, cookies, taffy, etc. And since I am in there everyday it is a real challenge especially at 11pm! All the little girls I work with (I say this because they are all 95-120 lbs literally) make me feel like a giant! I had one of them ask me "Well why are you trying to lose weight?" Well besides the obvious reason of me not being skinny I replied that I didn't want to be the big white girl in the big white dress. But I'm not bitter! =)

I recently joined the gym again and I will be going with a friend ~ she's one of the little ones but she has been my biggest supporter, cheerleader and coach. I told her to yell at me and she does! I just recently got an iPod from my FH and I love it when I take my doggie for our daily walk. He has a hard time keeping up.

Speaking of doggies, to Summerbride ~ your dog is adorable! He looks so cute and mischevious! Enjoy them when they're puppies because even though it can be stressful, it is such a precious and fun time!

Well, stay strong ladies!

Soon to be Lola Luce!

storm0075 Posts : 416 Registered: 7/9/06
Posted: Aug 31, 2006 6:04 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Summer that puppy is adorable!

Everyone WTG on the weight loss! Thank you for the great tips! I have been bringing snacks with me to work. I love some of the weight watchers snacks and have been taking them, they have these cheese twists I just love. I have been drinking water everywhere but at home. I still have not completely kicked the soda habit. I have been drinking less though so that is something. At my weigh in this week I maintained. The main thing is that I didn't gain! I know this weekend is going to be a tough one. FH and I are going to the beach to celebrate our anniversary. I just have to eat in moderation that is all. All those fat loaded goodies! I will just eat lots of seafood when we go out to dinner. :) There are tons of all you can eat buffets at the ocean and I tend to eat less at buffets. Mostly because I get a huge salad that I can never eat all of then tend to eat less of the actual food.

Posted: Aug 31, 2006 8:23 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey Lucky...WELCOME!!! Of course you can join us... the more the merrier. Sounds like youre similar to me in lots of ways lol I too work in an office where there is ALWAYS donuts, cakes, cookies, etc. Its always someones bday, shower, SOMETHING that we are celebrating and the damn cake goes around again. Reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine started refusing bday cake at the office when it was someones bday and everyone hated her for it lol

Thank god I dont work there everyday (I have 2 jobs, Im also a part time Professor, I teach Acting and Comedy Courses.)

LOVE THE PUPPY Summer, soooo cute!! Awwww......

Storm, glad youre doin well with bringing stuff to work. Im about to go pack up some cheerios in my ziploc for the hour ride out to long island to go teach! lol

This is awesome.... lets keep each other motivated... keep posting everyone!!!

Posted: Aug 31, 2006 11:54 PM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

The puppy is adorable! I have a little and energetic 1-year-old jack russell terrier, and on days where I might not have time, or maybe not all that motivated, I take her for a walk, so I still exercise and she does too. The plus is, when she exercises, she sleeps more and isn't so crazy all the time. Wink I am doing pretty well on motivation this week... I've been upset with certain issues, and for whatever reason, I get good workouts in when I'm upset (also when I'm nervous) because I've always seen working out as a good stress reliever. Anyway, only two more workouts to go this week. I'm also getting past my other problem... I bought a new pair of running shoes last week and they gave me a horrible blister on my right heel (of course I made it worse by running with that blister the next day). Ahhh, but I'm rambling... pretty decent week so far. If I can channel my upset into working out instead of eating I'll be all set.

Posted: Sep 4, 2006 9:28 PM Go to message in response to: jessd0320

OK EVERYONE I have a confession to make ......

I havent been to the Gym in over 5 days!!! AAHH!! I was doing SOOOOO well too. Then one thing after another... I started feeling sick, my stupid "monthly friend" is here and I feel like crap and can barely move, we went to a friends wedding out of town for 2 days, and Ive just gotten lazy this week. I dont know why but Im soooo tired lately. I think all the wedding planning plus trying to live my life ie WORK, teaching grading papers etc... is finally getting to me. Im still totally psyched about the wedding of course...and Im getting more and more anxious. I just think that my body has stopped functioning. So its really important that I DONT give up on the Gym right now ... and yet I cant find the damn energy or drive to get up off my ass after a long day at work and GO!!! I was doing soooo well before, I was coming home and then going to the gym right away.... I started to make it a habit going 5x per week. But the minute you fall off the wagon... ITS SO HARD TO GET BACK ON TRACK!!!!!

anyone else becoming a lazy bum lately? lol.

Posted: Sep 5, 2006 3:53 AM Go to message in response to: kelleyiskelley

I WISH I felt like a lazy bum! I worked SOOO hard this weekend at my extremely laborious job.  I sweat-ed the ENTIRE time!  Oh well, it's a good thing that I get my exercise at work, or I would never get any at all!  My new puppy isn't a huge fan of walks yet, but we'll keep trying.  I am hoping he will grow into it.

Good luck getting back on track, Kelly!  You can do it!  Keep your eye on the prize.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine