Before you were engaged...

Online Users: 1,313 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 24

BlushingBride03 Posts : 220 Registered: 7/15/06
Before you were engaged...
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 1:09 AM

How long before you were even engaged did you start 'planning' your wedding? How old were you? I don't mean officially planning, but looking at different things and getting an idea what you want for your dress, music, etc?

I have been dreaming about it forever, and when i was probably about 20 i actually was looking online at dresses and things, not buying anything of course, but i loved picking things out!

and now, i feel like i have a lot of things taken care of already! 

Re: Before you were engaged...
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 2:10 AM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

FH & I have been together for a very long time --- almost 9 years.  We started picking stuff out for our wedding after about the 3 year mark.  We knew we would be getting married, it was just a matter of when.  I'm glad we did because otherwise, it would have been VERY DIFFICULT planning a 325 guest wedding in only 7 months.

Posted: Jul 21, 2006 9:45 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I didn't give even a single thought to my "dream wedding" before I got engaged, probably cause I didn't have one, lol.  I wasn't the type who, when I was 8 years old, dreamed about getting married.  It might have had something to do with growing up without a father figure.  Either way, even though it was practically love at first sight with my FH, I think I had one fleeting thought around the 5 year mark about maybe eloping to the Caribbean and getting married on the beach - and I probably mentioned it to my mother, who had the remaining 6 months till I got engaged to think about how to help fund something closer to home, LOL.

Personally, I will be engaged for 10 months when we get married, and I think it was WAY too much time.  This is coming from someone who is doing a ton of DIY projects (card box, pew cones, some gifts, decorations).  I didn't pick a dress that needed 8 years to be made - it was in in about 6 weeks, same with my BM gowns.  In fact, I did most of the major research and booking in the first week when it was established that we could manage this wedding with some help - after that week, I did NOTHING for about... 5 months.  When I remembered I needed a florist.  We will be inviting about 210 people, I think I would have put in the same effort so far if it were 500 or 5.  Well, maybe more effort if it were 5, because I would have personalized it more, haha!

Is there anyone else like me who never gave thought to a dream wedding?
Jamie and Bill
Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Jul 21, 2006 9:49 AM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

I wasn't a dream wedding girl either.. however, about 4 years ago I was engaged for a short time and started planning then for that wedding, which is WAY different then the wedding I'm planning now.  I started planning this wedding a couple of months before we got engaged, but we had already decided we were getting married by then. 

On November 2, 2007 I marry my love!!

Soon2BTaylor Posts : 258 Registered: 6/1/06
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 2:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm in the same boat as Sept302006Bride.  FH and I have been together 6 years, 7 by the time we get married, and I didn't plan anything until the ring was on my finger.  Again, we knew we wanted to get married at about the 3 year mark but we also knew we wanted to finish school and get our finances established before we had the wedding.  We were not planning to have any help from family, so when my dad decided to chip in, it was really great!  I think the only thing I knew for sure about my wedding before i was engaged, was that I wanted an oudoor ceremony. 

With that said, I am also at a stand still.  I jumped right in after the engagement, so now it's just a waiting game.  We're not having the wedding until Sept. 2007 and that is SOOO much time to plan a wedding.  This was mostly due to finding the right time of year to have an outdoor Ceremony in Indiana....Stupid Indaina weather, it's hit or miss with rain there.

MrsC Posts : 385 Registered: 4/7/06
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

I was never a dreamer.  I didn't start looking at anything until I was engaged.  I think Iw as more worried with getting out of college and getting my business off of the ground.  Plus, I never had anyone worthy of dreaming about getting married to.  I met Eric and we moved in together and we were happy as we were. shrug Laughing

www.ericandjodi.net

Posted: Jul 21, 2006 6:20 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

I definitely was not a girl who dreamed of getting married, in fact, I always said that I wouldn't get married. My husband and I had already been together for five years when he asked me to marry him and we got married 11 months after the proposal. 

So, I never really fantasized about what I wanted my dress or wedding to look like. But, for me, it all came together quite easily and I was surprised to find myself with 20 pounds of bridal magazines by my bedside within a week of the proposal. I got wrapped up in looking for ideas and easily found what I wanted the big day to look like.

It's great that you have everything taken care of and your ideas will come into being before you know it! 

Weather in Puerto Rico: Click for San Juan, Puerto Rico Forecast

BlushingBride03 Posts : 220 Registered: 7/15/06
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 1:36 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

well i guess alot of it had to do that i met my FH when i was 18. So after two years, i knew i was going to marry him so i began to think about it a lot. 

i guess it helps when you have someone in the picture! 

ChrissLady Posts : 1,352 Registered: 4/5/06
Posted: Jul 22, 2006 9:13 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

Honestly, when I got my first Barbie and Ken.  It started out a sick looking pink color. Tongue out  Then I started seriously planning about 2 years before FH and I started dating.  I was dangerously in love with a jerk that I just knew was going to come around one day.  Thank God I woke up.

Posted: Jul 23, 2006 1:44 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

I definitly wasn't one of those girls that's had her wedding planned since a little girl.  I never even gave it any thought until I became engaged, and so....when people have asked me for details, or what sort of wedding I want to have...my answer is always, "
I don't know!"

Kimberly

Our Website
"I loved you before I met you and I met you just in time 'cause there was nothing left."   -Don't Change Your Plans, Ben Folds Five

Posted: Jul 24, 2006 4:41 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

I always wondered what it would be like, not really dreamed. I am not particular about any of it. I have 4.5 months till my wedding and I would be perfectly fine if my mother came home on Sunday from her vacation and said ,"scrap everything, we're doing it differently." That's not because I don't love the wedding I have planned, I just don't care. As long as I have my groom, I'm happy. My FH proposed in May '05, I didn't dare actually start looking until one day in about March, my mom came home with a bridal magazine and said, "shhh, don't tell Nathan." We had been dating for 3.5 years already and knew at about the 2 year mark it was forever. 

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
imghttp://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10713;112/st/20061216/e/Linz+and+Nathan%27s+Wedding/k/25dd/event.png[/img]
[/url]

Posted: Jul 25, 2006 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I never dreamed about it or planned for it. My friends haven't married yet, even at 26 and I've only been to a couple of weddings of distant relatives or friends. I always dreamed about my career and so did most of my friends. We're all very career oriented and focused. When I got engaged, I didn't have the slightest thought as to what I should do. Do I announce it, I said to my fiance. I have slowly figured out what I'm suppose to do after a lot of reading and online browsing, but it's been an interesting journey. The wedding doesn't mean a ton to me...my relationship and the love I share with my fiance does...that means the world. A party is just a party. That's my 2 cents. 

Posted: Jul 25, 2006 6:28 PM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

well my fh and i been together for a few years we even have kids we always talked about it we never did the bend and knee thing we just started pricing hotels it was untill after we booked one that i even got a ring but i guess its better sooner then later so you can take you time and resurch prices thats what we are doing and ever thing seems to be falling in place knock on wood lol 
nt.png

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: Jul 28, 2006 12:09 AM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

I started looking at stuff the day my FH and I started talking about getting married.  I think that was September 2004, when I was 22.  We got engaged on October 16, 2005.  

Posted: Jul 28, 2006 9:01 AM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

I never actually started looking at anything until we were officially engaged.  I felt like i would of jinxed myself because that is my kind of luck!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;4;93/st/20060617/e/Our+Wedding+/k/1d94/event.png

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine