Questions about the pill

Online Users: 1,283 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 34
Re: Questions about the pill
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 10:59 AM Go to message in response to: BlushingBride03

I'm no M.D., but I am a chemist so I know a little something about hormones.  Lindsay, you may have to correct me on this, but I believe it is only okay to skip your period if you're on a MONOPHASIC pill like Yasmin.  Multiphasic pills like OrthoTriCyclen-Lo have different doses of hormones in each week, and I'm not sure it's safe (from the standpoint of getting pregnant) to go directly from week 3 to week 1 of the next pack.  Just wanted to bring this up for those of you who are using other pills.

Oh, and I love NuvaRing (I've been using it for 3 months now)...it's definitely worth a try if you're in the market for a new birth control method and don't mind playing with your hormones a bit.  I personally love that my period is 3-4 days of medium-light flow, rather than 7-8 days of heavy-medium flow, and I haven't gained a pound!

Posted: Jul 21, 2006 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi All:

After reading this post I was wondering what I am going to do.  My weding is in 28 days, and the last thing I want to stress about is being on my period on my wedding day or even the honeymoon.

I went to sme website (I forgot which one... but I will go look for it again).  On the site there are regimins on how to skip your period 9depending on which type of birth control you are taking).

So, for ladies takin orto Tri...

Take 7 white, 7 light blue, 7 blue then go to the next pack BUT SWITCH THE ORDER

7 blue, 7 light blue, 7 white, then the placebos... PERIOD.

I am definetly going to try it... ok let me find the site for peope who use Yasmin, Nuvaring, or even the patch.

Posted: Jul 21, 2006 12:53 PM Go to message in response to: Guest
Posted: Jul 21, 2006 4:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If you just started on the pill--like the OP--I would suggest talking to your doctor.  Or using condoms, too, at the very least.  'Cause I think you may end up pregnant if you're doing that in the first month of being on it.

storm0075 Posts : 416 Registered: 7/9/06
Posted: Jul 24, 2006 1:13 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have personally been on Ortho Tri Cyclen, Yasmin, Depo Provera and Norplant, not to mention a few other pills over the years. Yasmin was great as it did not make me gain much weight. Ortho Tri Cyclen worked for me as it did one of hte other posters, I had horrendous mood swings and was just not myself. The Depo shot made me gain about 80 lbs in two years and I know many people that have been on it and gained weight, some lost it when they went off of it and some didn't. I was not one of hte lucky ones. :) The Norplant if it is still around was the best I was on. I had it in for 4 years as I moved out of state and wanted it taken out by the same people who put it in. With the Norplant as soon as you have it removed you become extremely fertile. The Norplant is/was also one of the most effective bc's out there. The only drawback that I had with it was that I would spot lightly for two weeks but I got no period. The spotting was the kind where I only needed to wear a liner. I have not tried the patch or the ring but from what I understand if you are not under a certain weight then it will not be effective. FH and I are just using condoms as I am not good at taking pills and didn't want to take any chances. GL in your decision.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine