anyone else need to lose alot of weight before their big day?

Online Users: 1,314 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 124
Posted: Dec 3, 2005 8:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

HI everyone, I am the bride that doesn't want to lose weight, but I need to lose inches. I don't mind the big hips and big bootie, but this spare tire around my waist has to go. I was on the patch (after having my 2nd daughter) for a year and gained 35lbs.I believe that 35 is around my waist, and I kid you not. So, my goal is 165 and I will be HAPPY!!

Posted: Dec 4, 2005 4:38 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I havent personally tried the atkins diet, but I knew someone who did try it. She did the low carb, high protein diet. She said it worked really well. I am not sure how much weight she lost. My fiance' said he had a few friends who were on it and they were really tired at first, but after about 2-3 wks they had alot of energy and lost all of their weight. I would suggest at least trying it out. I hope this helps.

Posted: Dec 5, 2005 2:00 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I tried Atkins for a short while a few years ago.. I lost some weight very quickly but I was pretty miserable. I found it to be a little too unbalanced, and quite frankly pretty weird. I switched to Southbeach and have been thrilled. The meals are great, I'm losing weight, and I don't even crave the foods I used to eat that caused me to gain the weight in the first place.
100 pounds in 6 months is, to be honest, somewhat unrealistic and may be setting yourself up for failure. Just make sure that no matter what diet you do, keep up with the exercise! Cardio exercise helps you lose the pounds faster. Toning muscles will boost your metabolism, and make you look like you lost even more weight. And if all else fails, I got a tan an everyone said it made me look almost ten pounds lighter. Smile

Posted: Dec 5, 2005 1:38 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would really like to lose 15 lbs before I go try on dresses (two months away) and then another 15 by the wedding (another 7 months). I went from 85 to 135 very quickly, my metabolism is SHOT and I have a ton of medical conditions that make it nearly impossible to exercise. At one time I had lost 15 lbs two years ago but I've since gained every bit back. The optimum range for my size is 85-110, and I think about 100lbs for the wedding would be nice. I just have no idea how to do it. I keep trying and nothing happens. I count calories until I'm blue in the face but that doesn't keep me from eating something I shouldn't - I just happen to know how much I actually ate. And exercise, ugh, I'm having trouble getting out of bed and getting to work 3 days a week, I have no idea how to exercise without hurting myself.

Posted: Dec 5, 2005 4:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

What kidn of injury or physical condition do you have? I have a really bad back and as recently as this summer was hardly able to move without serious amounts of pain. So if it's your back, I know a few exercises for that. If not, or if so, try an elliptical at the gym. It's low/no impact, and so much easier on the joints, etc. Swimming is also great. If you're counting calories, maybe you should switch to something else. I counted calories and worked out religiously a few summers ago, only to gain twenty pounds. Ouch. I switched to follow South Beach and lost weight very easily, even when I reinjured my back and couldn't work out.

Find small motivations, an extra lap around the grocery store, parking a few spaces farther each day, and keep careful track of exactly what you're eating. Figure out what foods are impossible or hard to resist, and find substitutions.

Posted: Dec 6, 2005 9:25 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I also did Atkins last year and lost 10 lbs in 1 month. The problem is that if you go back to eating all those carbs, you will gain in back in no time.

Before my FH moved in 6 weeks ago I weighed 142, I weighed myself this morning and I'm at 150. I'm strictly contributing this to carbs because I am now snacking on pretzels at night and eating bread, etc at dinner with him.

So as of this morning, I'm back on Atkins. I'm not promoting it, it's just the only thing that's worked for me.

As far as exercise goes, I really hit it hard last week - I jogged 3 miles, 4 days last week and guess what, I still weighed in at 150 this morning.

In my opinion what you eat has a far greater impact that exercise because it very, very hard to burn off extra calories. Frown

Posted: Dec 6, 2005 10:53 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

it's not just what you eat or how much you exercise it's a combination of both. When you first start exercising you gain weight because you gain muscle. For me, if i don't exercise I don't lose weight so I try to balance them out. If you keep at the exercising moderately- believe me it will definitely help!

Posted: Dec 6, 2005 11:19 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

ME !!!!!! and today is the big starting day!! My FI and I bought each other gym memberships for christmas and I go tonight to meet with a trainer and set up a routine!! I am 5'3 and about 200 lbs (YUCK!!!) but I WILL get to at least 150 by May 3rd) one month before wedding and the last chance to alter my dress! We are going on a cruise for our honeymoon and I want to look good in a swimsuit!!!

Good Luck to all and if you are in the Durha,Nc area and need some support email me... kimberann13@nc.rr.com

Posted: Dec 6, 2005 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Alright. I have some excellent advice, although it is VERY effective, many of you may find it very difficult. I lost 60 pounds in about 9 months or so when I moved out of my college dorm. I call it "The Poverty Diet".
Get a job where you run your butt off, like a warehouse, or waiting tables. Now you can barely afford to eat while burning calories.
Either get rid of your car, or pretend you don't have one, and bike to work and eveywhere else, and the largest food supply you may bring home is what fits in your back pack.
Meat is expensive, beans and rice are cheap. A vegetarian or even better, vegan diet will force you to only eat exactly what you need, or the protein/ iron defficiency will make you sleep 14 hours a day.
Coffee and ciggarettes help, but I can understand if you want to avoid these habits. Oh, and THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH CARBS! Atkins DIED for crap's sake.

Posted: Dec 6, 2005 4:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have always had a hard time with keeping off the weight. I have been doing weight watchers and that has helped alot. I went from 180 to 147 and I am trying to be 138 by my wedding on april 15 2006. I just wish that I had a friend to work out with. I think it would be more fun. Way to go girls just keep it up!!

Posted: Dec 6, 2005 5:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I find that I like working out alone (strange because I'm very, very extroverted) I think of it as my personal time- where I can think and not have to worry about anyone else. I zone out to some music and enjoy the workout. (Picturing myself finally looking awesome in a bathing suit)

Posted: Dec 7, 2005 12:59 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Barista is joking, right? Please tell me she's just joking.

Posted: Dec 13, 2005 9:16 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yes, I have a lot of weight to lose as well. I've recently been put on a diet by a doctor, and I've lost about 6 lbs in 2 wks. I just cut my calories to about 1500 and walk 4 miles a day. I started at 322, and now I'm at 316. I hope to be about 250-260 for the wedding. I weighed about 190 last September when I moved from California to Arkansas, but since I've been around this fried food and fast food again, I've piled on over 100 pounds, because of my health problems. My overall goal is to be healthy, and I'd like to weigh 130-150.

Posted: Dec 13, 2005 10:09 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am working on this as i am sure we all are ! BUT what I have been doing that is easy cheesy !! High protein low carb ! 2 years ago i was in a whooping size 22-24 jeans . In one year I went down to a size 14 which I am currently at, I wear a size large shirt when before i was at a 1x-2x

Now - I was on herbalife HPLC program . You dont have to do herbalife - you can get a low carb high protein shake mix at walmart or any grocery store. Just make sure that you are getting the one with the most protein and lowest carbs. I use the hood carb countdown chocolate milk. I used 8 ounces of milk with the shake mix - one scoop. depending on what brand you use and what they say to do .

but anyway - shake first thing in the morning, protein snack like boiled egg, string cheese, beef jerky stick - about 10 am , shake at lunch - i premade mine in the morning and take to work. protein snack about 2 pm, and you can have another snack later in the afternoon if you need it - but always protein. and at dinner you eat normal.

and lots of water, or green tea.

and it works !! If you stay and count to make sure you get 100 grams of protein and stay under 30 carbs a day you are good to go. and if you want to know more I can help ya out.

thecountrypetal@yahoo.com

I lost this weight and didnt exercise either . I should of but - ya know how it goes.

Posted: Dec 13, 2005 3:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Do those protein shakes fill you up? I think they do once you get used to them (I think your stomach shrinks) but in the beginning I was still hungry after drinking the shake. I use Carb Solutions, 20 g protein, 3 carbs.

What other protein snacks do you eat besides a hard boiled egg? I do celery & peanut butter but I am trying to get away from the high calories of PB.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine