why don't people respond to posts?

Online Users: 1,252 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15
why don't people respond to posts?
Posted: May 12, 2006 1:02 PM

I'm new here, but have been lurking for a while. I've noticed that people don't respond to people's posts and when people post something they don't come back and respond to others who have given them advice! What's up with that?

Re: why don't people respond to posts?
Posted: May 12, 2006 1:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi June4th!

I think there are a few things going on at the boards that might be contributing to the lack of posts.  I think a lot of brides have been discouraged since the merger of the brides, modern bride, and other boards into this single board.   I came here from the MB website, and there was a lot of activity there, and much less here.

Also, there have been some less than supportive posts of late.  It seems that some people feel the need to judge other brides rather than help.  Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of awesome, supportive brides here, but there are also some bridezillas.

Anyhow, there are a lot of helpful DIY tips under the Invitations forum, and there are a bunch of us here who like to help when we can.

Good luck to you in your wedding planning!

NatSeptBride Posts : 888 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 12, 2006 1:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I definately agree that it has alot to do with the merger as well as that there have been some people who have posted less than supportive responses..  Not to mention that it's taken so long to figure out how to use the boards that I think alot of brides just got frustrated and went else where..  I also came from Modernbride and we had alot of interaction on that board.  Although I enjoy all the new people, and their opinions it sucks that we've lost so many.. Hopefully things will start to pick up again now that the board seems to be a bit more easy to use...  Don't let it discourage you from coming here, we can use all the support, opinions and ideas that you have.  Smile

Posted: May 12, 2006 1:27 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If I don't respond to something, it's usually either because I don't have a good answer to someone's question, or somebody else has already said what I wanted to say. 

Posted: May 12, 2006 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i agree that this board is going through some transition....I was a brides.com member and I left there becasue of some hostility issues.  oNce the boards merged i decided to come back because the people i did not like had left and go to other person's persoanal board.  Anyway, i am off topic...when ever there is change, there is period of transistion.  I wouldn't give up get...things seem to be moving along more and more and i have noticed more posts and responses.

2.  I think there are soooo many different sections to this new format that it is hard to get through all the different threads in one sitting...therefore not all the posts don't get answered right away.

3. Sometimes,,,,i really don't have an aswer....some questions are very random or they are specific to a certain area of the county.

I wouldn't worry to much, THings will get better and the closeness of the other boards will return,,it just takes time!

BB84 Posts : 388 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: May 12, 2006 1:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think it will get better as more people join and we learn how to use the new format.  A lot of regular posters left, so we have to rebuild the community. 

I really haven't noticed that many negative posts, but I don't get offended that easily....I hope those who are offended can overlook unhelpful replies and help with making this board like it was before!

Posted: May 12, 2006 1:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think some of the people who have been around for awhile get tired of seeing the same posts over and over again, or else some posts just get lost among the others and get pushed off of the first page so then no one sees it. 

Megan

Posted: May 12, 2006 4:02 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I agree with the other..i used to go to modern bride all the time (ccmich) but when i merged i stoped posting..i just signed up today to check it out and i agree there are so many forums its hard to remmeber wher you posted so you can go back and check in on responces.

Posted: May 12, 2006 4:17 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm a former modern bride poster too. I have to say that I miss the other board, just because a lot of us were comfortable with the format as well as eachother.  Hopefully it will just take some time for everyone to get used to the new board.

Posted: May 12, 2006 4:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I sometimes get so confused on which sections I have read.  On the old boards there were less categories so it was easier to see all that was going on.  I also don't always reply if someone else has said what I wanted to say.  I have also seen so many girls "attacked" for stating their opinions that if I don't have anything nice to say then I won't say anything!  Don't be discouraged though...I have gotten some wonderful ideas from the brides here.

Posted: May 12, 2006 5:38 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I also just recently changed my settings so I can watch all the posts I've started or replied to. I don't know if others are doing that. I also used to respond a lot more in te local sections, just because I know more about things in my own area. I agree though, that a big problem is that ther are too many catagories! Sometimes I just don't go where ther's a lot of action, and I'll be honest, I've started threads in sections that I know people view more.

Posted: May 12, 2006 6:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Personally, I think it has a lot to do with the format.  There are so many subdivisions, I have never looked at some of them, and others I look at maybe once a week.  I think if there was one link to see all the recent posts, then things would really heat up again. 

Posted: May 12, 2006 7:30 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Agreed on all:

1 - WAY more subtopics than the old board. It's timeconsuming to go thru ALL so I stick to a few main ones.
2 - Negativity in responses! Not to mention that a few people have started posted DEFENSIVELY as a result, I think (i.e. "Ok, DON'T tell me this, this, or that...")
3 - Sometimes I'm personally at a loss for helpful info. With as many posts as I already have, I don't want to look like a know-it-all (I just type really fast!), so if I can't truly contribute, I try not to.

myra Posts : 5,550 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: May 13, 2006 2:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I try only to respond to posts where I truly feel I can be helpful or have something different to say from what others have added. Also, so many posts ask questiions where the only answer seems to be, "Do whatever you want," or "It's really up to you," so I avoid those. Finally, there are some queries that are so long and have so much back story that I just give up on reading them.

myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: May 13, 2006 2:33 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

The only reason I have not been responding to posts is because I could not. The site would not let. Finally it's letting me again. After so long. I will try now to respond, if it continues to let me.
http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10716;2/st/20060723/e/Our+Wedding%21%21%21/k/f5f3/event.png

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine