engagement party

Online Users: 1,274 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 11

mereditor Posts : 16 Registered: 5/5/06
engagement party
Posted: May 9, 2006 8:45 PM

I just got engaged last week (in Paris, after dating for 10 years) and we decided we're going to wait until spring 2008 to get married so we can save some money and not be stressed about planning. Even though I have this pretty ring and a cute story to tell, I really
want to celebrate us finally getting engaged in a formal way very soon since the wedding is so far off.

What do you think about us having a casual backyard barbecue engagement party this summer? If you had an engagement party, what was it like, and how long after your engagement and before your wedding was it? Thanks for your help.

Re: engagement party
Posted: May 10, 2006 12:59 PM Go to message in response to: mereditor

first of all.... congrats! the outdoor bbq is a great idea... i too am using that we are having a luau...

i dont THINK it matters when u have it! this summer i think would be an great ttime so celebrate since the engagement just happened!

go for it!

mereditor Posts : 16 Registered: 5/5/06
Posted: May 10, 2006 6:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

thanks so much! ooh, a luau. you could do so much with that. Have fun with yours--and thanks for the encouragement for mine. 

MrsC Posts : 385 Registered: 4/7/06
Posted: May 27, 2006 6:26 PM Go to message in response to: mereditor

Our enagagement party was at a local bar.  We invited everyone out the night a Swing band was going to play.  We danced the night away and everyone had a blast.

mommybride1 Posts : 75 Registered: 5/11/06
Posted: May 29, 2006 11:23 AM Go to message in response to: MrsC

I'm not getting married until 2008 too, so I was wondering the same thing about when/ if to have an engagmen party. But what is really involved? Is it just a big dinner? Who is all suppose to be invited?

Posted: May 29, 2006 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: mereditor

We were in different states when we got engaged, so it was 2 months from the engagement (while I visited him) and the party, when he came to help me move--so it was kind of a going away party, too.  My mom had it in the room at her church that you can rent, with an oriental theme.  We had chinese food, fortune cookies, and little paper lanterns, dragons, fans, red plates, etc.  It was pretty informal and laid back.

Posted: May 29, 2006 5:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Oh, and the party was in 2004, but we are getting married in 2007.

BB84 Posts : 388 Registered: 3/31/06
Posted: May 30, 2006 3:28 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Our parents collaborated on a Mexican fiesta-themed engagement party for us shortly after we became engaged, complete with margaritas and a taco bar.  It was at my parent's house.  They invited our close friends and family....about 50 people.

Posted: May 30, 2006 5:16 PM Go to message in response to: mereditor

I am also having my engagement party this summer as a BBQ bash.  There's nothing wrong with it.

Posted: Jun 13, 2006 12:33 PM Go to message in response to: mereditor

I love the idea of a bbq, but am wondering if it is okay for us to throw the party at our home? My family has no interest in throwing an engagement party, but i would love to have one.Thoughts anyone?

tamie33

Posted: Jun 14, 2006 3:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My engagment party was in Sept 05.  We got married May 06.  My parents hosted it.   It was a backyard BBQ.  Very fun.  It did have a fall theme, b/c we were originally going to get married in Oct 06, but plans changed.  (I won a trip to Vegas).

Michele and Kyle

Posted: Sep 4, 2006 11:53 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think it's ok to host it for yourselves if there's really no one else to who wants to throw one.  It's not limited to your parents either, what about a close friend, possibly the MOH or Best Man? I think as a newly afianced woman, you deserve to not have to act as host and worry about the details at your own party - you know?
"Beautiful boy, how on Earth did I do something worth deserving you; My better half, how I cherish through and through every part of you - I Do." 

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine