If he doesn't ask me soon I'm gonna freak!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 33
Re: If he doesn't ask me soon I'm gonna freak!
Posted: May 12, 2006 1:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, my dad said they had a nice long talk so I am assuming he asked the big question.  I have been calling and getting quotes on things but I haven't put any money down yet.  I will wait on that for the ring. :0 

futuremrsperry Posts : 1,904 Registered: 4/23/06
Posted: May 15, 2006 2:38 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

He wants to suprise you.... Jon asked me when I stopped asking him.  It's nerve racking for him... regardless of if he knows the answer or not.  Jon was nervoous and quite, he barly said a word to be right before he asked me.. I thought he was mad at me!  Stop asking.  Worry about the date after he asks you

Posted: May 16, 2006 6:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I wish you luck, and I just wanted to ask if you are dead set on October of this year.  Two of my friends just got married when they had only 5 months to plan, so it can be done, but my understanding is that it was extremely stressful for both of them.  The wedding turned out beautiful, but the bride told me a couple of times that she wished they had more time to plan, like FH and I did (we will be engaged for about 17 months when our wedding takes place).

You may be able to swing October, but that is cutting it really close, and you will likely be quite limited in your options in terms of venue, caterer, photographer, etc., as many are booked a year or more in advance.  Also, you will likely have to limit your options for your dress and your BM dresses to stores that can get them fast, like David's Bridal.  I have been so grateful that we did not try to plan this too quickly and gave ourselves plenty of time.  Both FH and I work full time, and I don't know how we would have gotten everything done if we had anything less than a year to plan. 

I'm not trying to freak you out if you guys are dead set on October of this year, but I thought I'd give you a little warning that it definitely won't be easy, and you may not get your first choice of a lot of things (hall, dress, ceremony site, etc.)

Posted: May 17, 2006 12:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I hope you keep us updated, Lizbeth. It'll happen. And I wouldn't worry about the comment that offended you; I must say I'd have been somewhat offended, too. The thing is, this is a public forum and website and anyone is free to view and contribute to it. And checking out this site is the type of thing one does when she knows she is going to get married, ring or not. Even if you can't start "officially" planning (i.e., booking a venue, gown shopping) it is not a bad idea to start looking around and getting ideas, which is what I suspect you are "doing on this web site." And I think that's perfectly fine.

That said, I certainly relate to all of you ladies in this situation. I am in it,  too, but at this point it has sort of become a joke. I do know it will happen, and probably soon, I've even seen my ring (it's a family heirloom and is being cleaned/ appraised, beyond that I'm clueless as to the plans). I told myself I'd just be patient and not bring it up, but I cracked. So now I've taken to just exclaiming things like, "What are you waiting on?! When's it gonna happen?" but it's all in a very joking spirit. And then he'll crack too and start to tell me, and I'll say, "No! Don't tell me! I don't want to know anything!" and I'll run away with my hands over my ears. Poor guy, I'm obnoxious.

Love is a piano dropped out a fourth story window - Ani DiFranco

Posted: May 17, 2006 3:38 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thank you Yoko.  It is so nice to talk to someone who actually understands how I feel!  At this point I feel like I am doing planning.  Thanks to the girls who are concerned about me having enough time.  Like I said before, I have a lot of hook ups since I work for a local bridal magazine.  The great part is we already have decided on having an outside wedding at his parents land and using a canopy for the reception.  I already have my dress, got it in Feb :), his uncle will be doing the photography and videography, my sister and aunt and other women are helping me with the flowers.  My fh works for a catering company and we met with them last night to go over details.  They can do it, so I really don't know what there is to stress about. I still need a band, a cake, invitations and a few other things.  I think when you are having a family style smaller wedding with people you know helping you out, you really don't worry about not getting the things you want.  Plus, I think it would kill me to be engaged for 17 months.  There is nothing wrong with that, but I want to get married and live with my husband.  I am ready for that now, not in a year and a half.  We have been dating for three and I just bought a house.  Mortgages are expensive and I want the house to be ours.  I think it depends on your personality too.  Some people might need more time to plan and choose and I am just a really decisive person who loves to plan.  It will be a challenge but I planned my high school prom, so I have a little bit of experience. :) 

Posted: May 17, 2006 4:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Good, I'm glad you have most things worked out!  Smile  When we got engaged, we knew we wanted a summer wedding, and, since we got engaged in February of 2005, all the halls were booked for last summer, so we had to set it for this summer.  Even that far in advance, several dates were already taken for this summer.  Then we had to really push to get the videographer (the only one in my hometown), because another couple wanted him for the same date (and this was still almost a year and a half in advance!).  I just wanted to make sure you were prepared, but it sounds like you are ahead of the curve.  Good luck!

Posted: May 17, 2006 5:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thank you!  But I am still missing one very important thing!  I'm not engaged yet.  Today my boyfriend was joking and said can't we just skip the engagement?  I said we could if we eloped, but I would still need to get engaged, I think?  I feel like he might be waiting for a nice day and it has been rainy all week.  Aghhhhhhh, I am trying to be patient, and I just think it is funny.  We have so many of the details worked out, I just don't have the ring on my finger.  I will let you all know when I do!

Thanks again!

Posted: Jun 1, 2006 11:59 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Oh my god, I'm freaking out over here. My boyfriend and I are restoring a Jeep CJ-7 that I bought, which will be my daily driver once it's completed (very soon!). This project has taken my mind off the whole engagement thing, and we basically have one last repair to do. We've been talking about the final repair all morning, going through the manual, and then right before he leaves for work he asks for my dad's number, totally throws me for a loop, then leaves! I played it cool, I think, but right now I am just freaking out! We are planning to take the Jeep to St. Augustine (the nearby town we were planning to be wed in) this weekend as soon as we are done to give it a chance to stretch its legs, which was my idea, but now I'm thinking there is going to be more than just a picnic on this trip! Oh god, I shouldn't be overthinking all this stuff! Someone slap me!

Posted: Jun 1, 2006 3:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think my outlook may be a little different from all the others.  I would honestly just sit back and relax and stop thinking about getting a ring and being engaged.  Your going to freak yourself out about it so much that you wont even be able to enjoy your engagement.  You dont want to take away the excitement and the hapiness that comes from being engaged if your freaking out so much about geting one.  He will give you the ring when he knows the timing is PERFECT and just like some people said...he may want it to be a suprise which may lead to October of 2007. 

So my advice....sit back, relax and enjoy what you have at the moment!  When it comes, it will be perfect and you will feel like the luckiest girl alive! Wink

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;4;93/st/20060617/e/Our+Wedding+/k/1d94/event.png

Posted: Jun 1, 2006 4:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I know I already posted on here, but I am with Dimondgirl.  I'm sorry if this comes off negative, I don't mean it to, but there is a natural progression and flow that is typically followed and you are all over the place and so anxious to plan and get married when you aren't even engaged yet.  Please, sit back, relax and don't bring it up to him anymore.  I have a feeling and have even seen a case where nagging, planning before engaged and constantly bringing it up makes it take longer to happen and is a lot less special when it does.  Please, just be patient and go with the flow.  When it is meant to happen it will.

Can't wait to be a Porter!!!
Daisypath Ticker

Posted: Jun 2, 2006 12:01 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Whoa, whoa, I think you two misinterpret. I was merely expressing excitement, and I am not stressing about anything. Sorry, but there comes a time when the eminence is clear. Our relationship dynamic is not such that I have to wait and wish and hope for him to ask me to be his bride. We have already agreed to get married.

Message was edited by Yoko on Jun 2, 2006 12:03 AM

Posted: Jun 2, 2006 10:22 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok, honey, Myra said this before, but it bares repeating.  YOU ARE ENGAGED, RING OR NOT.  You are planning a wedding.  You have a dress.  You have a date and some vendors.  I hope you and him understand this.

DH and I talked alot about getting married.  I never planned anything.  I joked, but that's it.  We got engaged of Feb. 05.  That's when we really started planning.  You however are not joking, you are planning.  Having a ring doesn't make it offical.  Good luck.

Michele and Kyle

Posted: Jun 2, 2006 10:34 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm not trying to be rude here so please dont take this the wrong way.  I'm just responding to your post about you stating that I misunderstood.  Maybe I did but i was responding to your post wtih subject, "if he doesnt ask me soon I'm going to freak" and then at the end of your post, you clearly stated that "you were a worried mess and your not even engaged yet"

That is why I said just let i thappen naturally, sit back and relax and enjoy what you have at the moment.  Believe me....when it happens it will happen when it's MEANT to happen and when it does,  it will be beautiful and you wil be the happiest girl on the planet.  But until then, dont worry too much.....the stress (if you get any) comes after your engaged once the planning begins...not before!

GOOD LUCK!

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;4;93/st/20060617/e/Our+Wedding+/k/1d94/event.png

Posted: Jun 2, 2006 10:54 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Sorry Dimondgirl,  I think you are confussing Yoko for me.  This was originally my post and I said I was a worried mess.  So, whatever advice you have for yoko is fine, just make sure you know those were not her posts.  Yoko, I am excited for you.  The same thing happened to me. My dad told me my boyfriend was trying to reach him and I got sooo excited.  That would be great if he did it this weekend.  

Anyhow,  I got engaged on the 23rd of May.  It was awesome, he did end up suprising me.  I had a feeling it was going to happen that night but didn't know how he was going to do it at all.  We then went to SC for a friend's wedding and I got to see all my buddies from college and tell them in person I was engaged, and of course they got to see the ring.  So, thank you everyone for your advice.  But Yoko, I am so with you, if you know you are getting married and you have picked a time of year then you really are planning on it and are engaged.  People kept telling me, oh just be patient you can wait until Oct. 2007.  Well thats for a different person and I do not want to be engaged a year and half or more!  This stuff shouldn't turn into your life, it should be a mere step to making your life what it should be.  Marrying the man you want to be with for the rest of your life.  I am just excited for the honeymoon and living together after that.  So everyone can consider my post finished, because I am done freaking. :)

Posted: Jun 5, 2006 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My advice....stop talking about it to your boyfriend completely.  Stop asking questinos, stop dropping hints.  Guys don't like to be harassed with questions of when they are going to propose.  They want it to be a surprise, they want to plan it, they want to be in charge of it.  I can promise you, the sooner you stop talking about it all together and stop worrying about it, the sooner he will ask you.  If you really want 6 months to plan a wedding, then don't freak if you can't get married in Oct.  Do keep in mind that most venues book 1 year in advance, so your options may be limited if you are planning 6 months or less.  Just because you talked about having it in Oct doesn't mean that's when it HAS to happen.  My FH and I had different ideas of when our wedding should be and it boiled down to what was available at the venue we wanted our reception at.  It will all work out in the end.  To help with your patience...it doesn't hurt to work on your ideas now...where to have it, what colors you want, etc.  Just don't talk to him about any of that, until after he's proposed to you.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine