Totally NWR, But I'd Appreciate Your Opinions

Online Users: 1,246 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6
Totally NWR, But I'd Appreciate Your Opinions
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 9:29 PM

While attending medical school for the past two years, my FH has lived in Philadelphia, which is about four hours away from our hometown; I've been living back home the whole time.  FH is finally moving nearer to home!  He's doing his last two years of school in Pittsburgh.  He finishes his finals on Friday, May 12th, plans to clean his apartment and pack over the weekend, and move back on Monday.  I (and probably FMIL) have been planning to drive out over the weekend to help him pack and to move his stuff back. 

I recently realized that if I go to Philly as planned, I will be gone over Mothers' Day (May 14), and my mom is upset about that.  She says it will really hurt her feelings if I am not in town to celebrate Mothers' Day with her. 

It's not that I don't want to be with her on her special day; I do.  It's just that I've been planning to help FH move back, and after him being away for two years, I'm really excited to help him move back home!  What would you do if you were me, go to Philly as planned or stay home in order to celebrate Mothers' Day with your mom? 

PS
In case you're thinking of compromises, I doubt my mom will want me to celebrate Mothers' Day with her after the fact; also, I'm not sure if going to Philly but leaving early so as to be home by Sunday is an option.

Re: Totally NWR, But I'd Appreciate Your Opinions
Posted: Apr 28, 2006 9:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well I would talk to your FH about what to do, overall I think I might decide to spend a last mother's day with my mom before becoming married.  I think that's probably what's really going on here, is she wanted to spend one last mother's day with you 'her little girl'.  Plus that way your FH can also spend some quality time with his mom while he's still single.  Anyway, overall, I think you can work something out, but that's my take-I mean he is moving closer to you so its not like its the only time you'd get to see him.

Posted: Apr 29, 2006 9:22 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would say go help him pack.  Mother's Day is so overdone anyway.  You can't even find a place in a restaurant that day. 

Of course, this is coming from someone who has been unable to spend Mother's Day with her mom for the past ten years, due to college and moving abroad. 

Megan

Posted: Apr 29, 2006 10:51 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

It seems to me that Mother's Day could be celebrated before or after May 14, but since that's not an option...I say maybe let your FH decide.  I know that when I've moved in the past (before the wedding), I really the needed help and would have been upset if Ryan chose not to help me.  Men are usually fine moving by themselves, though, so your FH may not care.

Posted: Apr 29, 2006 10:53 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Maybe you can surprise him with an early visit and help him pack ahead of time. It will still help him pack, and it will be a cute surprise, and you can just leave Sat. or early Sunday depending on the distance and still  be home for Mothers day! Its a win-win situation.

lori83 Posts : 1,852 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Apr 29, 2006 11:52 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

What would you do if you were me, go to Philly as planned or stay home in order to celebrate Mothers' Day with your mom?     If I were you and my mom said she would be really hurt I would spend the day with my mom. I am saying that as a daughter not as a mom.

As a mom I would not say that to my kids. I also believe that Mother's Day is to over rated. I refuse to go out to a restaurant that day. Of course if my kids want to see me that day that is great and I would do almost anything to make it happen. If they had something else going I would atleast expect a phone call.

Posted: Apr 29, 2006 2:11 PM Go to message in response to: lori83

Well, we're going to Jamaica on Mother's Day weekend, so I won't be able to spend it with my mom.  I don't think it's the "day" that really matters.  Whether you do something with your mom the day before, the day after, or another day, it's just a day.  Maybe you could arrange a "mom and daughter day" the week before or the week after...maybe a spa day?  That's what I'm planning....my mom would be understanding if something else came up or if I did something with her later on in the afternoon on Mother's Day.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine