Has anyone else noticed the level of disrespect on this board lately?

Online Users: 1,341 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 24
Re: Has anyone else noticed the level of disrespect on this board lately?
Posted: Apr 21, 2006 5:30 PM Go to message in response to: lori83

Don't mind at all!

I've been on MB board for almost a year, and I've found that when people only give half the story or simple posts, there usually is more to it, and it turns into what happened to you.  Just like in real life, you need to be specific in order for people not to assume anything, because unfortunately, many people like to assume!

Your original question was very vague and asked if the groom's parents didn't have any specific role (such as readings and candle lighting) should they attend the rehearsal....too vague, and yes I did assume, but hey, I didn't truly know what you were trying to say.

Anyway, we can go back and forth on this all day.  I've got old posts to dig up and a wedding to plan - whoo hoo!!!

But ya'll know something, drama can be a great distractor.

Posted: Apr 21, 2006 5:48 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

To be honest with everyone , I go on the Reception topic everyday .  I will find about 5 post a day.  I can go on Family and Friends topic and see all kinds bashing .  People will spend more time bashing then being helpful. . I hope people will get focused on why we are on this site.

Posted: Apr 21, 2006 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Interesting thread. I joined the boards via brides.com in January and right before the merge, there seemed to be a spike in snarkyness. I don't know if it was a characteristic of that board that others are now seeing after the merge or if this was happening on MB too. I honestly don't know because I was never really on MB boards that much. I think in general, some tone is difficult to pick up on with email, message boards, txt msging but it is true that some are pretty snarky. I'm like that sometimes but trying to focus on the positive.

RomanticGirl Posts : 777 Registered: 3/28/06
Posted: Apr 21, 2006 5:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yeah, it definitely isn't true for everyone that if they say something to the effect of "not to be rude but..." that they are genuinely intending to be nice. But I think often people use it as an excuse to go ahead and be nasty. Like "i'm acknowledging that this is offensive, but if I say I'm not trying to be offensive, then you can't call me on it." But that's just my opinion. Not everyone uses it that way, but I think some people do.

Posted: Apr 21, 2006 6:31 PM Go to message in response to: NatSeptBride

Haven't we all noticed it?  Luckily with the rudeness there are actually a lot of girls who just want to to help and support the brides on this board.  What I think happens, and it happens on any type of communication that isn't face to face, is girls just let everything go and say anything that comes to mind.  What I try to do and it might be good for all of us...  If you wouldn't say it to someone's face, don't say it on these boards.  Everyone has an opinion, but a lot of the time it could be worded a little better.  Everyone needs to remember there are real people behind the computer screen, even though you can't see their faces.  You can really help somebody a lot, but at the same time you can really hurt somebody.  I think everyone should feel free to vent, ask any question (within decency!!!) they want or just give out free great ideas.  Whether we like them or not, who knows?  We are all different and have different thoughts and ideas - that's what makes these boards great, numerous great ideas for my wedding have come from the boards, ideas I never would have thought of myself. Toast to a better boards, with many more ideas to come!!!!

Posted: Apr 21, 2006 7:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

This merge to the not-so-fun format and the "snarkiness spike" has really helped me get my bridal board habit under control. I definitely noticed it too, it's really shocking that people could be like that! Plus I think that because a lot of people are more scared about being attacked for a post, we are getting less interesting posts lately. Or maybe I've just been on the old boards for too long that I've already read everything? Let's all just agree to keep being as positive and un-assuming as we can be, and hopefully we can turn all of this around!

Posted: Apr 21, 2006 8:17 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I really hope it settles down.  I have been avoiding even reading the threads that become nasty.  A friend of mine used to have a fan site.  For a long time it had really nice people.  In fact, after she was bored with it, she kept it up just because a few home-bound women with cancer seemed to enjoy it.  Then, "pyscho" joined the board and ruined it.  She chased the nice people away, and the board died. 
One of the things I like about here is that we can talk about the things we can't talk about with friends and family. 
Personally, I think I am going to establish a 'one slap, and then ignore' policy.  We need to defend the attacked without feeding the attacker. 

Posted: Apr 21, 2006 10:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've been married since October but enjoyed coming back here to help, chat and keep up with the girls I came to know.  I agree...some have just taken a total "PMS all the time" attitude!!!!  I haven't posted much, because like others...just don't want my head bit off.  It's so sad to watch women who are trying to plan and have legitimate questions get barked at by the "I am the only one with the answer and what I say goes...and by the way....my way is the only way so I'll keep posting till you believe what I'm telling you" type posts.  I posted on MB and Brides and this "snarkiness" was never more in full force as it is now.

Posted: Apr 21, 2006 10:42 PM Go to message in response to: NatSeptBride

I am completely amazed at the recent cattiness that has been on the boards. There are a few brides that are just down right rude! I don't care if a bride comes on here and asks the dumbest or simplist question - she needs an answer. She doesn't need sarcasim, rudeness, cattiness, or aggression - she needs advice!

Just as the old adage says, "if you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all!"

I just wish we could have a peacful place to come to without having to sort through the bad apples!

Nicki

gemini5241980 Posts : 426 Registered: 3/30/06
Posted: Apr 23, 2006 4:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I just posted that same adage on a post of my own where one of our fellow brides got on me. Guess we have a few that didn't watch Bambi as children.
The cattiness on here has gotten a lot worse and then most of us are so sick of it we get catty defending ourselves or one of our friends.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine