Wisdom Teeth

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 28
Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 1:56 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

A fever is usually a sign of infection, and you should definitely see someone ASAP to have it checked out.

Not to alarm you, but just to warn you, my wisdom teeth removal experience was horrible, and I wouldn't have wanted to do it a week before my wedding. I couldn't eat for days because my jaw was so stiff, and then only soft foods. I was really swollen, and I couldn't take pain meds since I couldn't eat (although the pain really wasn't bad so that wasn't a big deal after the first day). But, my bottom 2 teeth were severely impacted, so that may have been why. Also, I highly, highly recommend being knocked out. I couldn't be, and that was the worst part.

That being said, my sister had her wisdom teeth removed the week before Christmas, and she was fine the next day. She drove out from Tesas to SC without a problem 2 days after the surgery.

So, it all depends on the person, but I would try to get in sooner than a week before the wedding.

Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 10:04 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm a certified dental assistant and I would, as the other girls have, recommend getting them out sooner than a week before. Most people are well healed within that time, but as has been mentioned there can be complications. Try to find a good oral surgeon and prefferably one who uses IV sedation rather than local anaesthetic. With IV sedation you are still awake (some people fall asleep and snore!), but you are so "stoned" you won't remember a single moment of the surgery. This allows the surgeon to get in there and get them out in less time, which reduces the risk of trauma to the area. They regulate the anaesthetic, so that you can walk out of the office, though you will definitely need a ride home! The effects are less severe than general anaesthetic, but more effective than local. Good luck and no drinking through a straw on the first day!!! I just realized that this is the case in Canada, so I'm not sure if the same procedure applies in the States. Hope I could help!

Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 2:40 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

DON"T do it a week before. The last thing you want to be is miserable during your wedding, if you are still having pain. Also, the swelling may not go down completely. I looked like a chipmunk for a couple of weeks after having mine out. Also, during that last week, you are going to want to get a lot of stuff done, and you won't have the motivation if you are too sore. I would do it way sooner than that if you can. Explain to the oral surgeon what's going on and see what they say.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

just had to share, it was the best diet i have ever been on. yeah i was in pain for a little while after the wisdom teeth came out but wow did i lose some weight.

Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 3:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Swerds is right. Dentist ASAP. Normally if there is an infection they will make you wait until the infection is gone before they will take them out. I got all 4 done at one and it was a damn good thing because I was in tremendous pain for quite a few days, and swollen and brused. If they would not have done them all at one time, I would have NEVER went back to get the rest done. All 4 of mine were impacted so they had to dig them all out.

Call them today. Right now!!

Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 3:27 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

as if all the above info wasn't enough to convince you to get them out sooner rather than later, but sister just had hers taken out about two weeks ago.... one week after having them taken out, her tounge was still numb! she was afraid that they had hit a nerve... turned out the anesthesia hadn't fully worn off yet. so just another thing to consider! good luck! Smile

Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 17, 2006 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I got the appointment made!

March 28 at 11 am is the big day!

Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 10:32 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Good luck, girl!

I could tell you my long, disgusting story, too, but I won't. Instead, here's some advice--to help prevent swelling and bruising, ice is a good thing. But, how do you keep ice on your face? We got some bath washcloths wet and folded them over and draped them over some frozen food so that they froze in a shape to fit my face. Then, we put them on my face and tied a larger towel around them to hold them on. Yeah, I was really cute, but I could even sleep with the ice on my face. Unfortunately, although that did keep me from bruising at first when I was using them, after the first couple of days, I stopped. I bruised on the fourth day.

Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 1:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Good Luck, Keep icing them for the first couple days then switch to heat. It hurts like hell but should be better by day 3, mine hurt for weeks bc the stiches got down in there! But anyways Good Luck and I am glad its about a month before the wedding instead of a week!!Smile

Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 9:15 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Katie, I know that you've already made your appt, but just for your info I just had a oral surgeon remove a severely infected molar last Monday(1 week ago). My infection was into my jaw bone, & as soon as they removed it...AAAHHH! relief! They gave me meds for the infection & pain, but by day 3 all the pain was pretty much gone. Only problem is the antibotics made my BC pills not effective. Frown I have stiches still, but as today being a full week it is healing so nice & I have no facial swelling left. My socket is now about the opening size of a eraser on a pencil. You should be plenty fine by your big day, just be sure to FOLLOW their instructions so you don't run the risk of dry socket or complications. I have had all wisdoms out too and they were a piece of cake(compaired to this tooth)! You may also drop a pound ot two because of your change in eating. Big Grin Good Luck to you!

Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 11:00 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks about the BC tip, how long does it render them ineffective? For the course of the antibiotic? I definitely want them working fully for the honeymoonWink

Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 11:29 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

If I remember correctly, you want to use alternate or additional BC for at least a week after stopping the antibiotics or until your next pill pack starts.

But I'm not an expert so a call to your Doc or local women's health clinic would be a very good idea.

Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 4:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

You might not want to take any other sort of medication at all. Whe I got my three wisdom teeth removed, the combo of pain meds, birth control and anitbiotics caused me to develop a serious disease called henoch schonlein purpura. This means that your joints will swell and that from the waist down you will develope a nasty rash that is long lasting and very very painful. the rash starts out small, but then developes to boil size all over and then forms on the inside of your stomach lining releasing toxins and blood into your system which would cause severe kidney damage. Be safe about what meds you combine to safely avoid what I had to go through for just a routine surgery.

Wisdom Teeth
Posted: Mar 23, 2006 4:43 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I definitely would not wait until a week before the wedding. When I had mine out, I couldn't eat for about a week but I had bad surgical bruises along my jaw from where they clamped my mouth open.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine