Weight loss, what else?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 14
Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 7:37 PM

Hello. I am 5'9 and 172 pounds. I am following WW points system which seems to work for me (for about a week only...was 175). I have a few questions:

1) What do you think is a realistic weight loss goal for me? I know that 1-2 pounds a week is good, but do you think getting to 140 is realistic (i'm 21, and used to be about 140 a few years ago)

2) What do you do when people bug you to eat out, or order pizza, and make faces at you when you don't want to eat the junk?

3) Does green tea stain your teeth less than normal tea?

4) How do you stay motivated to go to the gym when you don't see results fast enough.

5) How much should I work out? And is mixing up machines at the gym just as good as going striaght on one?

Sorry for so many questions, I just really need motivation/support right now!

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 7:08 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok, here goes...
1.) I know that for my height (5'6") I should weight 146 pounds. So I think that 140 at 5'9" is a little to thin. BUT, it should be where ever you are most comfortable, and can easily maintain.

2.) If these are supposed to be your "friends" that are trying to sabitoge you diet/exercise plan, don't go out to eat with them. they should understand that you are trying to feel better aobut your self and be reseptive to that. They should be supporting you, not trying to sabitoge you. Just tell them NO! Simple as that.

3.) I'm not to sure aobut the tea thing. Sorry.

4.) I go to the gym at 5am. I have a locker included in my membership so I take all my stuff with me on Monday morning. My shampoo, conditioner, make-up, deoderant, soap...everything I need to get ready in the morning. I leave it all in my locker all week long and then take it home of Friday. I have to leave my stuff there to force me to get up and go. I shower there and then go to work. That's what works for me.

5.) It really depends on how you feel. If you are working out 5 days a week and feel OK, keep doing that. If you go 3 days and are a little sore in between stick with that. They say that 20-30 min of cardio 3 times a week is good. You should really add some weights into your workouts. You would be amazed how quickly you will loose inches doing some light weight, toning I guess. Also, you should mix up the machines a little. You body will get to use to one thing and plateau.

Hope this helps you a little bit. Good luck.

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 10:02 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

1) how did you feel when you were 140? was it easy to get there AND stay there? i am 5'7 and got down to 124 about a year and a half ago- i looked gaunt and if i ate like 100 extra calories, you could see my stomach bloat! it was so hard to stay there. if you know that you can get to 140 and it is easy for you to maintain that, then go for it. if not, try something like 10 or 12 lbs less than you are now.

2) let yourself have a "cheat meal" one time a week. that way, you don't feel like you are depriving yourself, and you don't look like a martyr in front of your friends. if you don't feel comfortable doing that, however, let your friends know that they are making it difficult to reach your goals. remind them how important it is for you to reach your goals and that you need their support. if they look at you blank faced, give them ideas on how they can better support you.

3) um, i'm not sure! you might try googling it Smile

4) what motivates me is having a personal trainer! i know it sounds expensive, but just having that connection at the gym, knowing that someone else is looking for me to be there, helps me and keeps me going. call it low self esteem, but i like feeling like she is my personal cheerleader when i come in! you don't even need to see a personal trainer every day or even every week.... set something up, get yourself on a plan, and make a good relationship with your trainer. that way, even when you don't have something scheduled, they are still checking up on you because you have that connection Smile if a PT doesn't work for you, get a buddy to go with you to the gym, or make friends with someone at the gym that you see every time you go.

5) you should work out at least 3 times a week for about 45 minutes. i highly recommend mixing cardio AND strength training. increasing your muscle mass will increase your metabolism, making your body burn more calories. again, if you can get with a trainer for at least one or two sessions, they can set you up on a plan, and you can keep up with that plan every time you go in! my trainer set me up on a plan for full body, so i alternate days- one day is upper body and cardio, the next is lower body and cardio. remember, if you are putting in strength training, you will increase muscle mass, and muscle weighs more than fat. instead of focusing on pounds lost, try measuring inches or your body fat. my trainer told me (and it totally makes sense) you can be 105 and wear a size 4 or 135 and wearing a size 4... it all depends on the amount of muscle one your body.

good luck, and if you need any more motivation, let me know! i used to HATE going to the gym, and now i'm a little gym rat....i love it! Smile

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 10:13 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I lost 62 lbs in the last year. I lost it the HARD way. Diet, excersize and work. If your "friends" are behaving this way, they ain't yer friends. Good book to read about this whole phenomenon of "closet anti-sisterhood" is called Tripping the Prom Queen" you aren't nuts. There's a mindset of women where if we are truly envious, we DON'T want to see you succeed and improve yourself. The hand that holds you can also be the one to hold you down. Limit your contact on a social eating basis with these people. You have to do what is RIGHT for YOU during this time and I suspect you are deep in the throws of "tripping" syndrome. They are going to order pizza just to foul you up.

Let me share some of what I did.
5 days a week, cardio for at least an hour.
3 days moderate weight training. An hour. I was not interested in bulking up, I did this just to be sure that what remained wasn't loose.
4. Cut portions in half. When I ate out, first thing I did was to half the portions especially.
Eat veggies, fruits, protiens. Stay away from breads, sugars, beer, softdrinks. Tea is your best friend and green tea is a great antioxidant that will NOT turn your teeth, so you can relax.

1-3 lbs is normal weightloss. I kept the motivation up by varying the activities on each day. I bought my wedding gown smaller on purpose so I HAD to do something. Big risk, but the day I married, it fit BEAUTIFULLY and it was a tremendous reward. It is NOT an overnight thing. You have to understand and accept that from the get go or else you can wind up doomed to failure. I looked at it like a weekly thing. Every Friday I would celebrate a little and let myself buy myself something. As I lost the weight, the reward was buying clothes that were stylish and fit well. Every week I came home with a sweater, pants, something. At the end, I set a BIG reward for myself. My husband andI made a deal that if I lost 50 lbs by the wedding, I would pick WHATEVER bedroom set I wanted. I wanted a beautiful pecan and maple set. He wanted a bedwall (which I hated) guess what? We have that pecan and maple set. You have to set up some sort of rewards system. Just don't make FOOD the reward. Say to yourself, when I lose 15 lbs, I am going to book a facial for me. when I lose 25, I am going to buy myself that ring I wanted. When I lose X I will do X. The pictures of my wedding are in the link below my name. The day I decided to do something about my weight which was late June, I was 192 at 5'5. My wedding day November 5 2005, I was 140. I continued to lose post wedding, and am now at 128. It took a long time. It was worth EVERY day.

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 10:49 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think you've gotten great advice, I just want to add my support. I've been doing Weight Watchers for a little over a year. I'm 5'8" and I weighed 205 when I started WW. I'm down to 152 and I'd like to lose at least 10 more pounds. I think your goal is realistic, but you should check to see what your healthy goal weight range is and talk to your doctor. As you lose weight, you'll be able to get a better idea of what you can comfortably maintain.

As for people who are trying to sabotage your weight loss, tell them that you want to be healthy and lose weight. If they can't deal with that, then they have their own issues and aren't being good friends. There are a lot of people who won't want to see you change, because they are comfortable with the way you are now. There are people who may feel superior to you in some way and will have to re-evaluate that if you lose weight. There are people who don't want to face the fact that they need to lose weight, too. I've had to deal with this, too, and it's not easy or fun. For inspiration, I will show you before and after pictures of myself. I'm not exactly ready for a bikini, but I've made a lot of progress. This is hard for me to share, but here goes:
Before

After

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 10:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I just want to tell you that YOU LOOK AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well DONE!

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 11:03 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm not sure about all your questions, but I did buy this book off Amazon called Buff Brides. I haven't tried it yet, but it does have some great reviews, and the author goes over some basics about working out. You will have to buy some equipment like a stability ball and some hand weights.

Another option (if you have the money) is to talk to a trainer from your local gym. They'll have programs depending on what you can spend per month (they can get pricey!) And they'll have the answers to most of your questions.

Good luck!

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 11:26 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

If you don't want to totally cheat on your meals when you are out with your friends, you can also make little modifications.

Blot your pizza so it's not as greasy, and only eat one slice instead of two or three. My mom always makes a salad whenever my parents have pizza ordered in so that there's some ruffage to fill up on in addition to the greasyness (I, however am not nearly so saintly). You can also request half the cheese on your order. Get a veggieburger or grilled chicken instead of a regular hamburger, and like I said earlier, get a side salad instead of french fries.

The best way for me to stay motivated is to make going to the gym an appointment. I try to work a class or a date with a workout buddy into my schedule so I feel guilty about breaking it. Right now (at least when I'm not injured, but that's beside the point) I take a dance class once a week and work out with my husband at least twice a week. He pushes me extra hard because he's a guy and naturally uses more weight than I do. We're always trying to best each other, though I think the deck is stacked in his favor.

I also find something fun. I love to dance so I take a jazz class. It's a good hour of cardio once a week, and it's also one of my favorite things to do all week. Smile

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 12:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

1. realistic weight loss goal- don't know. How were you when you were 140? underweight, etc.
2. Have one piece and call it quits at that, plus have a side dish of salad or something else healthy
3 Don't know about staining your teeth but it is supposed to be good for weight loss.
4 Don't weigh yourself! Use a tape measure once a week. Plus repeat the mantra "Muscle weighs more than fat but takes up less volume"
5 Try to work out at least every other day.
Megan

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 12:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks, Ginny, you look awesome, too!

nynje/Jenny

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Okay, here goes...I do not know about this from personal experience (as in I did not experience it) but my FH has. Two years ago he started out at 6' 310lbs. Today (drumroll please...) he weighs 168lbs!!! I am so proud of him. Anyway, here is what he had to say about this - For the first month all I did was drink only water. I didnt change my eating at all, I just cut out all the soda, etc. and replaced it with water. I lost 30lbs in the first month. Then, I started modifying my diet. I basically ate a lot of salads, veggies, Subway. The main thing is, you cant eat junk. You just cant. If your friends arent being supportive of your weight loss, find new ones. I'm serious. Otherwise, good luck. You can do it, believe me, no matter what anyone might be telling you.

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 5:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Congrats on getting your butt ingear to start losing the weight! Smile As for your questions...

1. I wouldn't base your goal on a weight number. I'm 5'8", started at 168 and wanted to hit a goal of 135-140, a weight that I had been before at this height. Watching the numbers was driving me crazy, so I switched to measurements. Ah, much better. I got to a point where I LOVED my body.. and I was at 150. (Mind you... I gained some weight back and am now at 158.. not so happy) But, I went off of my waist measurements, not my weight.

2. Suggest going someplace else. If they want to go out to eat, they can go someplace where you can eat too. Applebees has some great WW menu items. Pick restaurants you know you can eat at. I know some places here with great salads, I also love Chipotle! (Not entirely healthy... but you can cut out the carbs easily)

3. Don't knwo about tea...

4. I use stickers. I put a star on my calendar for every 30 minutes of cardio, another star for days I do weight training, and another star if I follow my diet. It's lame.. but it makes me happy and I feel accomplished when I see what I've done.

5. Hm... I use only the eliptical for cardio and have not hit any plateaus or any of those type things. But, I cannot recommend weight trainign enough! Are you a member of a gym? I'm not a professional, but I can tell you what machines I use that have worked wonders for me. Weight trainign will NOT bulk you up, provided that you do it right. Low reps, High weight = big muscles. high reps, low weight = toned muscles. I generally do a minimum of 30 minutes of cardio plus my weight circuit for the day. 5-6 days a week

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 16, 2006 1:23 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

When it comes to weight loss and what is healthy, you need to speak to a Dr. Not get random opinions.

One girl who is 5'6" said she should weigh 146 pounds. However, my Dr. and a fitness trainer and a licensed nutrionist have all told me that I would be prefectly healthy weighing 125 pounds. And I'm 5'5-1/2".

My advice to you...talk to a Dr.

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 16, 2006 1:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

as with ANY weight loss plan, it is ALWAYS best to consult your doctor. What I failed to mention is that EVERYTHING I did was doctor sanctioned. I did NOT put a piece of food in my mouth unless I knew it was approved, nor did I perform ANY activity unless the doc knew of it. He became my partner and I checked in with him 3x a week until the weight was gone. He based his stats and activities for me on an average built woman approaching 30. My advice to you is to indeed check with them in all cases. But I did want to put this up here incase you felt my advice to be "random". It is QUITE the farthest thing from the truth. Enlist the aid of your doctor and make them your partner in this process. You'll be glad you did.

Weight loss, what else?
Posted: Mar 20, 2006 10:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Don't focus so much on weight as a number, if you build muscle you'll loose inches but your weight will not go down as fast. Focus on being healthy, and make sure that what you eat is nutritious, not just low in fat or calories. You don't want to be 140 lbs and pass out on your wedding day! I've found that taking exercise classes (I like step aerobics) will get me to the gym more often, and I work a lot harder than when I'm on my own. You'll meet motivated people in classes, and they can cheer you on too.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine