Running...NWR

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13
Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 3:20 PM

Hi Girls. I have always hated running and also have always been terrible at it. At 5'8" I am a top heavy size 12 - carrying most of my weight in my stomach and chest (size 38DD Frown) and every time I try to run, my hips hurt, my knees and ankles hurt, I have to wear 2 bras, etc. I really would like to be a size 10 and 36D or 36DD by my wedding date in October.

For the first time in YEARS, I ran 15 minutes straight on the treadmill at a 5.3 pace!! I couldn't believe it!! Eek I did it two days in a row - Saturday and Sunday! And I didn't have any pain. I am thrilled because I always hear that running is the best way to lose weight, especially around your middle! I just had to share in this joy of my stamina and tolerance for running building up! I hope to be able to increase the time by a couple minutes in the upcoming weeks! I hope those of you who are working out and trying to lose weight are seeing great results and stamina and endurance too! Good luck in your workout endeavors! Big Grin

Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 5:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have to herald the wonders of the eliptical machine on your discussion...
I used to run all the time, and loved it. However, my skiing habit ruined one knee and having to be on my feet all the time ruined the other. I couldn't run anymore. My physical therapist recommended using an eliptical machine (once I was healed, of course) to simulate running without the jarring impact on the body. It's great! My dad recently bought himself an eliptical machine and lost 10 pounds in two weeks doing just 20-30 minutes a day. Cardio exercise really does make a difference!

Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 9:30 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Running....I HATE the thought of it....but I love to run LOL

I feel so good when I am on that machine. I push myself every other day to do a little more than I did the day before. i was doing so good then I got sick last week and now I am right back to were i started Frown

Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 9:33 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I also love the elliptical running machines. I got really nasty shin splints when I played rugby in college, so running with all that impact doesn't help! But the elliptical I can run forever on and not get any pain. Smile

Great job on your increased stamina! Speaking of stamina, its time for me to hit the gym...

Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 9:49 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Reporterbride,

I am also top heavy (36dd) and I don't like running. I was running regularly up until about two months ago when I started having hip pain that I'm still having late at night. I still workout, I kickbox, spin and do a body shaping class. I agree that running keeps the weight off best though. I don't know you but I'm proud of you for doing it.

Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 11:47 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks Mrs.Schultz_2U! I do those same things you listed too! I take spinning on Tuesdays, Circuit class on Wednesdays and then plan to run 3x a week to keep my 5x a week workout regimen. Now if I could just eat better and wasn't always starving... Roll Eyes

Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 11:59 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have the same problem (38DD) and the pain in my ankles and hips. I also get a feeling like my throat is closing off and have a hard time breathing. It only happens when I run. I either walk really fast, without having to run, or do the eliptical. I LOVE the eliptical. I go to the gym Mon-Fri and do a body sculpting of Tue & Thurs. Good for you. Keep runnin!! Wink

Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 12:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm a top and tummy heavy girl myself- and this thread has totally inspired me to start running or doing the elliptical machine (or both!). I need to lose some bust inches in order to zip up my dress... I have 4 months and I know I can do it!

Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 16, 2006 7:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i too have a 36d top and i have lost 50 lbs but still have a 36d top. i too have a treadmill that had helped lose most of the weight. i worked at a place where you could all day long, so i stopped doing that. i have bought those 100 cal snack packs, cheese nips, southbeach wheat crackers, and special k snack bites. all these have helped me from eating crap that i didnt need. its hard when your fh doesnt eat the same as you, he likes pizza and the like. he also does not eat fruit or veggies. but keep up the good work.

Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 8:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i suggest that you try and increase you distance in the time that you run...say your 15 mins. the futher you run in that time is better than building up the time you run because you would probably be slowing down youre pase.
once you get that down then try and increase your time. and do it over again. start increasing every week. so if you did 5.3 this week next week do something like 5.5
hope that i have helped you.
5 days a week is good take the rest off.
good luck

Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 26, 2006 11:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I started exercising Jan '02...I was on an treadmill and speed walked 5x a day. I only needed to drop 10lbs and I hardly dropped anything until I cut out my fritos. (I ate Fritos everyday with my lunch)...then I lost it all in 2mos. Didn't change anything else. Well...I eventually turned the speed walking into running. I run 2 days on...1 day off. I run about 2miles. I love the way I feel when I am done and love the way my body feels since the running. I do NOT run on a machine....I run around my neighborhood. I do this...cuz I don't like to watch my stats, time, etc. plus I don't want to get "lazy" and hop off when I get tired. All in all...I love running the best...out of the elliptical, aerobics, tread, bike...etc.

Plus...exercising makes you want to eat healthier. I usually have a small glass of OJ and a hard boiled egg in the morning. Very light lunch (3 slices of meat & little bit of cheese) and moderate sized dinner. No snacking...and drinking ONLY water during the day. I do however, cave in with wine occasionally. And my lovely FH has an ice cream addiction..so I may have a few bites of his occasionally. I also try and not eat all my dinner...leaving some behind on my plate...so I don't get in the habit of finishing everything on my plate. Bad bad habit I have had to fight. Feeling good....weekends are hard for me sometimes...being home with FH...he loves to eat. I have to turn him down...it's so friggin hard!! hehe.

Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 11:09 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks for the tips bad choice! I'm still running, but haven't increased time/speed, BUT I have made it in to a little circuit, doing weights in between my 5 minute runs. So, I run 5 minutes, then stop and do 20 pushups, hop back on run 5 minutes, get off and do 15 bicep curls, etc. So I do about 25 minutes of cardio with weights in between. I am going to increase the speed of my running starting this week from 5.3 to 5.5. I've heard circuit workouts are great for weight loss. Anyone else heard of this also?

Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

circuit training is great! it helps you build muscle while keeping your heart rate up. the great side of building muscle is that your metabolism will increase. if you DO start doing circuit training, try not to pay too much attention to the scale... you may not see the numbers move, but this is because you are adding muscle which weighs more than fat. good luck, and great job on the running! i wish i could run- my throat does the same thing and i feel like i can't breathe. walking fast on an incline is really great to do if you get bored with the running.... it will increase your heart rate and give you that cardio workout all while also working your hamstrings and glutes (butt)!

Running...NWR
Posted: Mar 27, 2006 12:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Congrats on the running success! I hate running, but i do it anyhow...and I although I cannot not sympathize with you (i wish i were more top heavy!) it gets easy the more you run.

When it starts warming up...running outside is a lot easier than on a treadmill. Sunny days runs are actually very enjoyable.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine