Father of the bride attire?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 9:49 PM

Does anyone know what the father of the bride is supposed to wear? I have heard and read a few different opinions from etiquette "experts", magazine columns, and family advice so I'm not really sure what to go with!

Some people have said that he needs to match the groomsmen, others have said "no, he should match the groom", and then another said that he should just pick whatever vest and tie combo HE wants (the men in our bridal party are wearing suits with vests/ties, no tuxes).

I'm not sure what to tell my dad and he certainly has NO clue.

Thanks for your help!

Posted: Feb 25, 2006 10:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My father will match my FH....

Posted: Feb 25, 2006 10:41 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My father will match the groomsmen. We decided that because my FH has a royal blue tie and vest and the GM have a black vest and tie, so we went with the black for the fathers.

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 2:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am unsure as to whether my dad should wear a suit just like the groom/groomsmen or his own suit. Both my parents are walking me down the aisle. My mom thinks she'll have to wear a black dress if my dad wears the matching suit. Ack, so many stupid little decisions...

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 3:52 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hmm, well all the guys are wearing suits. FH will be wearing a vest and a cravat. I think my dad will just wear a suit and a grey and purple striped tie. Guess that isn't much help for you.
Megan

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 10:11 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

my dad will also match the groomsmen

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 10:52 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

My dad and his dad will match the groomsmen as well.

url=http://www.snugglepie.com] [/url

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 2:40 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

What about the grooms father? Will he just do the same as what the father of the bride is doing?

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

sorry I miss read what klj4879 said so nevermind.

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 3:20 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Fh and I are going back to the tux store to change the colors of his vest/tie and my dad's vest/tie. I just don't like them anymore. I had FH in a black vest and black and silver striped tie(groomsmen are wearing sage green vests and ties to match our colors). I also had picked out a silver vest and silver tie for my dad, but I'm thinking now that was a bad idea. Any thoughts? I thought the father of the bride was supposed to stand apart, but now it seems like he's supposed to match everyone else.

I'm wearing an ivory dress so I was going to go with an ivory vest/ivory tie for FH. Should my dad wear the same? I'm not really keen on him wearing a sage green vest and tie to go with the other 4 groomsmen. I don't know though?!

As if a bride doesn't already have enough to think about! Eek

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 7:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My groomsmen are wearing black tuxes, my dad is picking something else, but a tux still. I told him to wear a tun, but past that he can pick whatever he wants. He has good taste and I want him to feel special...not like a groomsman. I say leave it up to your dad. Afterall, this is a big day for him too.

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 10:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Besides walking me down the aisle, my dad is also marrying me and fh..he is a preacher. He will be wearing a tux with a black vest and black tie. Groomsmen are wearing a brown vest (actually called truffle) and tie, while fh is wearing a white vest and white tie. I thought that since he is marrying us that he should wear something different from the groom and groomsmen.

Posted: Feb 27, 2006 10:05 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

All men (dads, FH and GM) will be in tuxes. FH will have silver vest and tie, GMs red vest and tie and Dads black vest, silver tie

Posted: Feb 27, 2006 10:17 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Let's see I have an ivory dress, there is one dad and my bio uncle in tuxes. FH's dad is deceased, and I do not want my dad/uncle to be mistaken for the groomsmen, who have more white hair than dad.

FH- Black jacket, Ivory tie, Ivory vest
GM- Black Jacket, Black/gold vest and Tie
Dad- Black Jacket, Black Tie, Black vest

everyone is in ivory shirts!

Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, it's up to my FH to decide at this point, but if I was picking, this is how I'd do it.

FH - Tux with white tie/vest
GMs - Tux with silver tie/vest (BMs in silver)
FOGs - Tux with black tie/vest
Ushers - Tux with black tie/vest

I don't think guests will get confused between FOGs and the Ushers. If my dad was coming to the wedding, he'd be in black tie too.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine