How fast is healthy to lose weight?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 22
Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey, ladies,
Thank you so much for all of the advice, and for sharing your experiences. I guess I wasn't totally clear enough. When I said "slowing down" I meant that I am down to about 2-3 lbs a week. The first week, I lost 16 lbs, the second, 6, and the next two, 4. This past week (as of last night), I have gained one back, but I think that was because FH and I did a lot of going out to eat for V day.
I do need to go to the doctor, and see about the best way to do this. I will admit that I was a little discouraged when it started slowing down, but I realized dropping that much weight so fast wasn't healthy.
Thanks again for all of the advice. I scheduled an appointment with my doctor for Saturday morning. Have a great day!

Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Everyone gave some really good advice...I just wanted to add that when you have a significant amt of weight to lose...and you lose it very quickly...you have a high chance of developing loose, saggy skin and stretch marks.

Posted: Feb 25, 2006 5:52 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Just wanted to add something else, that I have forgotten to post before:
I said my goal wasn't unreasonable because I planned on losing all of the weight by next October....that's about 1 year and 7 months away! I set this goal for so far away because I planned on losing weight slowly...imagine my surprise when I saw that the scale was down 16 lbs!

Posted: Feb 25, 2006 8:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i eat under a thousand calories a day. WATER is key. That much weight in one month is not generally healthy. Hate to burst your bubble but don't be surprised if it starts to come back. Don't loose too much weight too quickly because you'll end up with excess skin, and that is only removable by a knife. Keep up the workouts though and good for you! Smile

Posted: Feb 26, 2006 12:36 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
Originally posted by soontobeMrs.Holmes:
i eat under a thousand calories a day. WATER is key. That much weight in one month is not generally healthy. Hate to burst your bubble but don't be surprised if it starts to come back. Don't loose too much weight too quickly because you'll end up with excess skin, and that is only removable by a knife. Keep up the workouts though and good for you! Smile

Under a 1000 calories a day is starvation. Not healthy at all. If you continue this, you are going to cause yourself a lot of health problems.

Posted: Mar 16, 2006 11:58 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
Originally posted by AngelRN823:
Under a 1000 calories a day is starvation. Not healthy at all. If you continue this, you are going to cause yourself a lot of health problems.

...Including hairloss, teeth decay, and a boatload of more serious ailments.

Posted: Mar 16, 2006 12:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I just wanted to update on my weight loss situation. I got to a doctor, and she said that what I was doing was healthy, and that your weightloss DOES jumpstart at the beginning.

I have been losing 1-2 lbs per week now, and I am sitting at 168 (I haven't seen the sixties in about 3 years!), and loving it! Last night, I ran on the treadmill for 30 min! A personal best. Then I lifted weights for 15, and did ten minutes on the stationary bike.

Just a quick question - is it better to break up your cardio like that? (cardio - weights - cardio) or to just do the weights at the beginning or end? Thanks!

Posted: Mar 16, 2006 1:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

1-2lbs per week MAX. Confirmed by my co-worker who is a fitness trainer and licensed nutritionalist.

I have always been told by trainers that it is best to do weights first and then cardio, if you are going to do them in the same day. Otherwise, alternate cardio one day, weights the next day.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine