How fast is healthy to lose weight?

Online Users: 1,254 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 22
Posted: Feb 23, 2006 11:40 AM

Okay, here's the deal:
In mid January, I started dieting/working out. It had been over two years since I did any cardio of any form, and I never stuck to diets (I would lose 5 lbs here and there, and then gain back).
I ws 196 lbs, and 5'6" (NOT healthy), and I wasn't happy with my body. I don't have unrealistic goals set, I want to be at 150 by next (2007) October. The most I would want to lose is 50 (145 ish) lbs.
Here's what I am doing. I am eating 5 small meals a day, totalling about 1300 calories. I drink a ton of water. I do about 30-45 min of cardio daily plus 20-30 min daily of weight training. This was a struggle working up to this.

before all this, I was eating out several times a week (out of convenience), and not watching what I was eating.

So....in conclusion, I have lost a total of 26 lbs in the past month. I think it is mainly because I hadn't exercised in so long, and I finally started eating healthier and drinking more water. My weight loss is slowing down (perfectly understandable), and I am happy with the weight that I have lost (and the muscle that I have gained).

My FH has started making comments like he is worried that I am starving myself (I totally am not, I hate the idea, because I love food so much...I could never ever give up food!), or throwing up (again, something that I hate...it just doesn't make sense to me why someone would go through that just so they could eat something). I know he is worried about me, but his concerns are starting to make me concerned. Am I losing too much weight too quickly? I thought that my plan was pretty good, and that I was doing everything that I was supposed to do, in the right way. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for the help!

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 11:47 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Healthy- 1 to 2 pounds a week.

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 11:47 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm not a doctor - however, people who have a significant amount of weight to loose will often loose a lot of weight quickly in the beginning. Your body got a wake up call when the calories dropped, then the metabolism went up with the cardio and weight training. You should focus on 2 lbs a week but loosing more in the begining is normal. If you don't start tapering off I'd be concerned.

However, considering your goal weight loss you should def. be discussing what you are doing with a doctor to make sure you are doing what is best and safe for your body.

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 11:49 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks for the advice ladies. I will take that into consideration.

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

losing more than 1-2 pounds per week can really mess with your metabolism and that weight will actually be gained back faster. 1-2 pounds per week will stay off longer. Smile

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 7:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

by the way, i think 1300 calories per day is too low if you're doing cardio 5-7 days per week. I would up the calories or exercise 3-4 days per week to keep yourself healthy

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 9:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Congrats on your weight loss!! In the last year I lost 35 pounds following the LA weight loss program. What I learned was that one to two pounds a week are ideal. I do agree that you may want to increase your calories with the amount of cardio you are doing. Way to go by the way! YOu are right on target by eating small meals throughout the day. We should be eating every three hours. I also learned that balancing your protiens, veggies, fruit and good fats are best for your metabolism. Strive for three servings(which are smaller than i had thought, but you get used to it)of protien, four servings of fruit and veggies and one of good fats.(like olive oil) Starch should be one or two(that was the hardest!! Well, kudos to you and your weight loss and good luck. I hope that all made sense!

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 10:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Your body reacted quickly to your newfound eating habits and excercise. 26 lbs is a LOT to lose in a month, but from what you stated earlier, your body had quite a bit to lose. It should start getting harder to lose weight, (actually a good thing, it means you are getting to a healthier weight for you body!) For example, I am at my ideal weight, if not on teh lower end, so if I wanted to lose 5 lbs, it could take me 6-8 weeks of working really hard!

I think you should up your calories, the more you burn the more you want to eat--to an extent. Or else your body will just be burning muscle, and you don't want that! Can you add in one more snack a day? Fruit smoothie, or handful of nuts, or cheese stick with whole wheat crackers? Some ideas.

Posted: Feb 24, 2006 3:42 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
Originally posted by totallyawesome206:
losing more than 1-2 pounds per week can really mess with your metabolism and that weight will actually be gained back faster. 1-2 pounds per week will stay off longer. Smile

100% Right on. I'm taking nutrition right now, and its being pounded into my head...

Posted: Feb 24, 2006 5:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think that for people who are significantly overweight to begin with (not saying for sure that you are/were, but just in general) that once the body is put on a diet and exercise program, that it can sometimes shed a lot of extra water weight or whatever right away, and then slows down. If you are concerned, then go talk to a nutritionist. 26 pounds in one month sounds like a lot to me, but it sounds like you are doing things the right way.
Megan

Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:43 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

26 pounds is a bit much to lose in one month, even when you have a ways to go. It's a great ego boost to start with, but don't keep on that way. Continuing to lose that fast will NOT be healthy. 1300 calories a day is not enough for a full grown 5'6" woman. Most women need somewhere in the 1500-1800 range. Mind you, I'm not saying jump right up to that, you'll probably gain back a good chunk of what you've lost. Increase slowly, while maintaining your workouts... or even cut back by one workout. I know, I know... It's hard after trying for years & finally dropping weight to slow down & do something different than what's working... but you need to, or enventually you're going either stall out or gain back REALLY fast when your metabolism hits starvation mode. 1-2 pounds a week is generally considered to be healthy, and more importantly, sustainable weight loss. If you're interested in a good support circle, come join us over on the Weight Loss Buddies board!

Posted: Feb 24, 2006 8:58 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

To add to WTW post - up your calories - but not with wonderbread and nachos. Adding extra calories in the form of fresh fruits and veggies will give you energy and nutrients (which you are losing while working out) but they are healthy foods that will metabolize well and not be stored as fat. You can't really go wrong by eating a few extra fruits and veggies.

Posted: Feb 24, 2006 9:10 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

You and I are the same it seems in terms of height, starting weight, weightloss goals. I am 5'5 and started at 192 in April. I began an exercise/diet regimine with seriousness in June. By November, I had lost 52 lbs. Just about 3lbs a week. I LIVED at the gym and was vigilant about my diet; protiens from veggies, fish (ate so much I thought I was growing scales and fins)Good carbs. "Healthy smoothies" when I was on the run. I never ate more than 1500 calories a day and my mantra was "burn more than you put in" EVERY time I went to the gym, I NEVER left unless I burned minimum 1000 calories. I dropped weight like a bad habit.
Difference is, before I started all of this, I had a long long sit down with my doctor and intensly reviewed my medical history. Everyone's history is different, just like everyone's metabolism is different. Everything I did at the gym I did with his knowledge and approval. Everything I put in my mouth was something he told me I could eat. And the second anything started to get funky, I was on the phone with him. Your body IS going to very quickly drop weight in the beginning. It's not used to exercise and moving. The trick will be what you need to do to continue to lose HEALTHY once your body adjusts to this newfound activity level. It will then be healthy to lose 1-3 lbs a week. Please do this with a doctor's assistance. Let them guide and help you. That's what they are there for. It's been a year nearly since I tipped the scale at 192. I'm 138 now. And I have kept it off, but it was a TEAM effort between the doc and me.

Posted: Feb 24, 2006 11:23 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Aim for about 1600 calories at least since you very active now. 1-2 pounds lost per week is the goal, but often more or less is lost. I would visit your doctor, let him/her in on your plan, share your weight loss and inches lost to date, and see if they agree that you are on a healthy plan.

Posted: Feb 24, 2006 11:35 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Just wanted to add in - I am a VERY active person. I cardio 5 times a week, but thats in addition to my job which is extremely physically taxing some days. My recommended daily intake is - no joke - somewhere around 3000 calories a day and I'm 5'2 Smile Now, I don't eat that much. Couldn't even if I wanted to, but I do consume well over 2000 healthy calories on a busy day. Those days I don't do as much, I'll eat around 1500 - 2000 calories. Granted I'm not dropping weight quickly - maybe a pound a week - but it IS important to feed your body the calories it needs just to FUNCTION. Otherwise you'll find yourself burning out and hitting a wall quickly!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine