Natural BIrth control?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 43
Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 1:05 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

This natural method that you guys are talking about is based on your monthly cycle. Not everyone's cycle is 28 days. This is a really risky thing if you do it this way. There is also sperm in the preejaculatory fluid. Even when he withdraws.. it only can take one. Ovulation begins approx. 2 weeks after the first day of your last menstrual period.
NOT RELIABLE!
I hope this was helpful

Taratheweddingplanner and a Nursing Student

Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 10:49 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm definately not an expert on NFP, but I think some of you are a little confused and/or misinformed about what the method entails. NFP uses signs such as cervical mucus and body temp to alert you to fertile times and infertile times. Since things like temp flucate during the same time of every cycle, it shouldn't matter if you have an irregualr cycle or not. Right?

I think this is an interesting thread. FH and I haven't decided if we want to try NFP or not. I've never been on any hormonal BC, and I'm a little nervous to start. On the other hand, barrier methods totally take away any spontanaity, so NFP might be a good choice for us.

Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 8, 2006 9:23 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Tsk tsk tsk ladies. I am always amazed by just how little women know about their own bodies and just how misinformed they are about natural family planning. This is NOT the rhythm method, this is has nothing to do with religion or anything else.

I am have been using this method for the past 3 years and have yet to even have 1 pregnancy scare. Yes it involves taking your temperature and abstaining from sex for approximately 1 week per month. It also involves basic knowledge that every woman should know about their own body and no it isnt complicated at all.

Ive used this method so long I dont even need to take my temperature, chart my periods, or pay any special attention to anything other than the date.

If anyone is interested in obtaining information on this subject I suggest you do not go to your doctor or local sexual health clinic. When I first became sexually active both these locations refused to give me any information and told me to take the pill even though I have a genetic liver condition that disables me to take the pill or any hormonal method of birth control. Nice eh?

What I did was get a book called Take Charge of Your Fetility by Toni Weschler. (I know it sounds a bit new age and feministic but it isnt. I cant stand that stuff!!) She explains everything you need to know and includes all kinds of software and charts you can photocopy. There may also be natural family planning clinics in your area, try the yellow pages or the internet.

This method is actually easier than popping a pill. People are so put off by the fact that they have to read something that this method gets such negative assumptions. I think it is ridiculous just how little women know about their own bodies.

Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 9:46 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Andele, thanks for your post. I think it was helpful, especially since NFP is a method FH and I are considering using. I looked up the book you mentioned. I'd like to learn more about NFP, but I DO NOT want to attend one of the church-sponsored classes they offer around here. Talk about a turn-off! Anyway, the book got great reviews. I might end up buying it, but I am a little put off by the fact that she claims to teach you how to choose the sex of your baby based on different positions. That's bull, as far as I'm concerned. It still might be a worthwhile read though. Thanks again!

Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 5:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I dont remember her saying she can help you choose the sex of your child based on sexual positions but I do remember her saying you have better chances of conceiving your desired sex based on when you have intercourse.

Im not sure the validity on this one but quite frankly it has nothing to do with the method and the biology she describes. I tend to think that the gender of your baby depends entirely on two things. Luck and genetics. I know so many people who can only have girls (or boys).

But as with any information you need to weed through what you believe and what you dont believe. Im glad you question what you read Lindsay!

Definately give the book a chance, its the most condensed and relevant information I have found on the subject anywhere.

And I dont blame you on the church group thingy... they dont even fully get the whole method because they are too caught up on the religion of it all as opposed to the science. This method is a science and really shouldnt be mixed with religion.

If you ever have any questions, please feel free to private message me. I remember when I was seeking out information I had nowhere to go and no one to turn to. And I happen to be a pretty scientific and no nonsense sort of person who definately can not handle children at this point in my life... I wouldnt steer anyone wrong!!

Good luck!

Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 8:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hello, I just saw your message about natural birth control. My fiance and I have taken classes in this and it is wonderful. It is not the old rythym method so dont let people tell you this. Couples that use nfp actually have about a 2% divorce rate!!! We have been abstinate for the entire 2 yrs of our dating and cant wait to use this. You can email me j.enderica@sbcglobal.net I would be glad to tell you about it.My name is Joann. Also you can type in natural family planning online and get some info. Also, we attended an engaged encounter weekend which was great and if you contact them they can refer you on where to learn nfp. dont worry, it is easy and fun because you meet other couples doing the same. This is safe for your body but also teaches each of you great respect and love for one another. It has been a great experience for us. Take care and best wishes.

Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 9:36 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Before anyone starts any kind of birthcontrol...natural or not...TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR. Websites/forums/emails whatever...are not reliable sources of information.

Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 5:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks again, andele. I went back and reread the description of the book. I was mistaken; she indicates that you can influence the sex of your baby based on when you have sex, not on position. Regardless, it doesn't make sense to me. A fetus's sex is determined by the father, not the mother. I'm curious about what evidence she cites in her book. Like I said though, I might check it out anyway. I agree that her opinion on choosing your child's sex is secondary to the biology behind the birth control.

FH and I talked about it a little more, and we decided that we definitely want to learn more about NFP. Hopefully we can do that and still avoid the church classes, which our priest is really pushing. We'll see what happens.

Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 10, 2006 8:19 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have heard both good and bad about natural birth control. One lady I know used it for about ten years and only became pregnant because she didn't pay attention to what day it was. She said she pretty much knew she would be pregnant when she realized what day it was and she was right on the money. She is a firm beliver it works, though. Another girl I know used it and got pregnant on her honeymoon. So, it just depends on what risks you really want to take. I am going off the pill after our wedding and will probably just use condoms. If something happens and I get pregnant, then it was meant to be.

Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 14, 2006 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

ANDELE, Thank you for your posts, So many people are against NFP that it's nice to know someone isn't.

DOES ANYONE have any idea where you can buy the ideas you need for NFP? Someone told me i can get it through a church around here if i take the classes but i'm not too excited about that.

Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 15, 2006 3:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Your local Catholic church will have classes on Natural family planning NFP. You can check there. It is reliable when done right. And no artifical hormones to deal with. You can attend even if youre not catholic.

Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 16, 2006 7:33 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I can't take the pill because any type of artifical hormone makes me a RAVING B!#$h, so I guess we use a natural type, its called the when in doubt, pull out method!! it's risky we know but we both want kids, when they get here they get here I guess

Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 18, 2006 12:35 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Actually, Mkille it sounds like your new doctor has given you bad information on IUDs not your old one. I've done quite a bit of my own research about them and I think your new doctor was scaring you unneededly.

Natural BIrth control?
Posted: Mar 19, 2006 11:40 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

read up on the depo shot. It is a small dose of a hormone. It stops you from ovulating. Takes a couple of months and you might spot between cycles but has worked for me and is proven more effective then the pill. Plus have him wear a condom double team his little guys so you don't end up with little guys of your own. BC is the responsibility of both partners not just us ladies!!!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine