Cold sores (herpies of the mouth)

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 50
Posted: Feb 20, 2006 3:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

A girl at work just had what you are describing. It is called foot-mouth disease or even trench mouth. I looked it up online to find out more about it. I had never seen anything like it. The doctor told her that it is mostly found in children. It is very contagious. It took about a week for her to get over it.

Posted: Feb 21, 2006 12:51 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks for telling me that I will definately be finding out more about it. I knew that my doctor had no clue, he just made something up. I hate it when they do that. Thanks again.

Posted: Feb 22, 2006 4:05 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I just checked it out and it literally grossed me out. I found out that I have this crap because some idiot didn't take care of their teeth, how stupid can people be. I mean really if you don't brush your gonna have bad breath and your teeth are going to change colors and fall out I mean come on people, gross. Sorry I had to vent for a moment, I am a big hygeine freak and it just makes me so mad that I have always taken very good care of my teeth and some idiot who could care less about themselves gives me this crap to deal with. Well I haven't broken out with it in a year and my son never has so maybe I've gotten the infection out of my blood stream by now or something.Lonestarbride I thank you very much for telling me what this is. I urge all of you who read this to take my advice on the silverware thing there are some nasty people in this world. I have one question how could someone stand to walk around all day without brushing, that has to feel disgusting?? I think I'm done now..

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 3:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

After everyone else has responded nobody will prolly read this bc I didnt bother to read any of the other responses either. lol. But I too have the exact problem (was worse when I was younger) and it flares up from the same things. Take my advise and take Lysine!! Unlike the other stuff that treats them after you feel them coming, it actually prevents them. I never bothered till my mom heard about it and bought some for me and now I take it daily. I get it a GNC and take a 1000 mill pill each morning. You have to take it consistently or it won't work at all. You can ask your doctor about it but they told me it is fine to take and the few weeks prior to your wedding you should probably take 2 pills a day just to make sure you don't get one on your big day. Good luck Smile Hope it helps.

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

luckygirl-thank you for your info...I will defninitely give Lysine a try as it would be my luck to get a cold sore a few days before my big day!

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have heard from a friend who has this issue that eating one serving of yogurt daily and using a nonfoaming toothpast keeps hers in check. Just FYI

Posted: Feb 23, 2006 4:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yogurt is high in lysine content and it helps prevent yeast growth in the mouth which is another thing that causes ulcers. So, it's a doubly-good idea!

Posted: Feb 25, 2006 8:08 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

OKAY. I'm a Certified Nuses Assistant and am going to nursing school, so I think I can sum this up for you. Cold sores ARE transmitted perso to person. But it can be from contact. Ever shared a drink with someone? That can cause it. When you were a baby were you kissed by a lot of people? that can cause it too. It's really NO big deal. Some peope seem to be naturally imune to them, but if you have them they don't just go away. You are stuck with tem for life. Unfortunately only time can really heal them. Abreva or a perscription is really the only thing medically that you can do. I don't know any crazy family remedies myself, but I just thought I'd clear that up for everyone. Campho-Phenique is pretty strong stuff, I would continue to use it. Also sometimes stress can cause them to appear, so try to stay calm. Wear chapstick at all times to try and help prevent them and wash your face at least twice a day. You can also try using rubbing alcohol on your face after you wash. If you have dry skin just apply moisturizer a half hour later. I would try to use something organic myself.

Posted: Feb 25, 2006 9:02 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am a 4th-year Clinical Laboratory Scientist student, and we study these critters nearly every day. Herpes Simplex, Types I and II are both transmitted through person-to-person contact. It could be casual contact, such as kissing or sharing a drink, all the way through sexual relations. You could have the virus orally, genitally, or subcutaneously (on the skin or eyes). It is also the most common cause of shingles. It is very common, and most people who are exposed do not experience outbreaks. It can be spread at any time (not just during outbreaks), and anywhere from a few days post-exposure to five or more years post-exposure. Whenever you do have an outbreak, it is because the virus strain residing in your body mutates. It goes away when your body forms a new antibody to it, and you will never experience another outbreak... until it mutates again. While not the only factors, stress, poor diet, irritating chemicals or clothing (like facial cleansers or use of washcloths) and the onset of your period can aggravate the conditions your virus live is, and can cause an outbreak. It's best to get an antiviral, such as Valtrex or Famvir during individual outbreaks, although taking it daily about 2 or three weeks prior to the wedding will help prevent it for the big day. There is no such thing as "bacterial herpes" (they're all viruses). Lysidophilus will not help with Herpes, because it is a BACTERIA, but it may help if you tend to get fungal/yeast infections in the mouth (it will outnumber the yeast/fungal cells). It is used to treat gastrointestinal problems. Lysine is an animo acid, so it will also not directly help with the Herpes outbreak itself, but it will help your skin heal the damage it causes. The blisters they cause will go away quicker if you dry them out. Keeping them moist, although it's less painful, will keep them hanging around a lot longer.

It can be managed easily though. Abreva or Campho Phenique will help with their anti-viral ingredients. Talk to your doctor about taking an anti-viral during outbreaks and daily before your wedding day... and keep that stress to a minimum.

Posted: Feb 27, 2006 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

66nova you did say some good things, such as drying them and not keeping them moist, using abreva did not help mine, campho does help but when you are getting them 3 at a time and almost every week you can only handle it that much. i have tried other medication prescribed and nothing. You say to keep stress to a min well i am not stressed that i know of and i just got rid of 3 sores now i have 2 more. this is like a month of cold sores. my fh is getting depressed because we cant kiss, i am also because i love to kiss him and when these stupid things pop up nope sorry cant. i do think that if i go to the dr again he will most likely prescibe valtrex or the like, i have tried acyclvir(sp) the first time i took it, it worked then the second time it did not. the dr said that i might have to take medicine everyday for the rest of my life but hey if it will help keep them at bay and not have them every week then so be it.

Posted: Feb 27, 2006 4:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have actually in the past used aloe vera gel. It works pretty well. It is used on blisters and burns so I thought what the heck I will try it. I have not had many problems at all the last few years since I have been taking Lysine. I have one about once a year and it is really small.

Posted: Feb 28, 2006 9:18 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

iowagirl, I am hearing people say they've had SO much more success with Valtrex than they ever had with alocyclovir or even Famvir. I wouldn't waste a minute getting a prescription for it; I've only heard very good things!

Different people with these viruses report different frequencies of eruptions/outbreaks. Lysine does help, but it will also depend on the individual. Lack of lysine in a food item correlates to allergen food items. Allergens or trigger foods tend to have more arginine (another amino acid, but in this case less desirable) than lysine. There are food charts available which show the lysine:arginine ratios in various foods. So, while lysine won't do much to stop an outbreak once it's started, taking it in pill form, or eating foods high in it, will help keep a good amount of it in the body and reduce the chance of allergic reactions (which manifest as outbreaks). This is merely a supplement, though. In the same way taking Vit C can help prevent colds, it will not guarantee that or cure a cold once it's established.

Get the Valtrex Wink

Posted: Mar 4, 2006 3:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

ok so i tried the lysine, i would have to say it works pretty well with the campho-phenique. i had 2 sores and now they are barely noticable. i guess we will see what happends now and to see if it keeps working.

Posted: Mar 8, 2006 12:57 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am a nursing student. I know that a dermatologist or a nurse practitioner in dermatology can prescribe you something like acyclovir ahead of time to prevent the break out instead of curing an outbreak!
This is great news for those who suffer in this way!

Taratheweddignplanner and nursing student

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 1:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Im going to give you the solution to your problem. Valtrex. Take 2 grams at first sign of cold sore (Itching, tingling etc) and then again 12 hours later. No cold sore will appear. I gotta say that it is such a relief to know that I can be prepared...especially during special occasions. Talk to your doctor. Here is the website to learn more.

http://www.valtrex.com/coldsores/relief_coldsores.html

Lizzy

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine