Cold sores (herpies of the mouth)

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 50
Posted: Feb 10, 2006 1:43 PM

When i was younger and had braces i got these like crazy now i only get them a few times a year thank god! But today i woke up and what did i get? Yup you guessed it another cold sore. I tend to get them from the sun, being out in really cold weather, chapped lips, and possibly stress. I believe it was from dry lips this time.

I am just wondering what other people have done to keep them under control? I am terrified that i will have one of these for my wedding. I have tried Lyseine (sp) but i dont take it every day just when i feel one coming on. I use abreva which helps some. And i have taken the herpie prescription (my dad got it from his dentist) and those seem to help make it heal faster but i dont have any right now. Does anybody have any thing they take or do?

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i know exactly how you feel. i have had 6 in the last 2 wks. its been 3 at a time. i have tried every otc medicine out there. when my gpa died about 3 years ago i tried acyclaver(sp) and it worked great i maybe had 2-3 that whole year. i changed insurance and changed drs, my new dr prescibed several different medicines including acylclaver and that didnt even work, since losing my job i have had many and nothing works. i have even gone so far as trying the aveno cold sore stuff, nope doesnt work. so now i am stuck with them but the dr did say that if they continue i would have to get on the medicine that you take everyday. i will want to get on that for my wedding bc i know i will get them and it will be bad like it is now. sorry its so long and may not have answered you, but i wanted to give you my experience with them.

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:32 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If they are inside your mouth i think they are called canker sores. I have braces and I am continuously cutting my lip and stuff on them. I use this stuff called Kanka. It creates a film over the sore so nothing irritates it and helps it heal faster and numbs it for a short period of time.

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 2:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

For ulcers of the mouth, try Biotene mouthwash, it's great. A little pricey but the price has been coming down. It has no alcohol, but I tried the Crest no alcohol and it just wasn't as effective; this stuff is great.

Keep abreva with you, because if you catch those before they get established it can take them away and prevent any outbreak.

Stay away from high carbs (pasta, potatoes, bread and especially sugar) because they encourage the body's inflammatory response. When the body inflames, the outbreaks start, which is also why you get them when you get stressed. Any refined foods and those with preservatives (fast food, frozen prepared meals, chain restaurants) are a no no, too.

Dr. Perricone has at least one book on a age-defying, beautifying diet which focuses on non-inflammatory foods. Check it out. Eat clean, be healthier. That pretty much sums it up. A virus like yours is going to have its way, but much less often when you work at staying healthy. I know they're painful and I wish you lots of luck and health!

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 3:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

are we talking about canker sores or cold sores, i dont eat a lot of carbs or sugary foods and have actually changed my diet and lost 50lbs in the last year. i have had cold sores my whole life and no dr has ever told me to stop eating those foods, so i am confused on what you (michelle9118) are talking about.

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 3:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Cold sores, also called herpes is a virus and it is transmitted from person to person contact. Unfortunately there is no cure for it, but there are many medications on the market that can dramataically decrease the number of times you have the outbreaks. Stress, dehydration, and poor diet/health can lead to more frequent outbreaks. If they are indeed true herpes cold sores, talk with your family doctor or your nurse practitioner...they can help you.

Mouth ulcers caused from braces or biting your lip, etc. are a different animal. These can be cured in just a few days with what michelle suggested or just warm salt water. They just need time to heal.

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 3:55 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
Originally posted by iowagirl1998:
are we talking about canker sores or cold sores, i dont eat a lot of carbs or sugary foods and have actually changed my diet and lost 50lbs in the last year. i have had cold sores my whole life and no dr has ever told me to stop eating those foods, so i am confused on what you (michelle9118) are talking about.

'Clean eating' is basically, garbage in, garbage out. You eat poorly, your body functions poorly. Clean eating is no processed foods or additives. It can really be quite tasty.

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Be less stressed... ha ha ha!
Seriously though, never take a perscription unless YOUR doctor has perscribed it for YOU! This is very, very, very important! By randomly taking an antiviral or antibiotic, you could make it less effective in the future. Not to mention that if it isn't the right medicine for you it could harm you, even kill you!
Use a chapstick with sunscreen always and be prepared for a break out when you are stressed or sick.
One last, very important, thing... Oral herpes can be transmitted to the genitals through oral sex and vice-versa. This is something that should be discussed between you and your FH and your healthcare providers.

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

OK sorry for the confusion. I am talking about cold sores that are outside of the mouth. I think i confused everyone because i said i got them more when i had braces and I really did at least every two months.
Iowagirl- I too get more than one at a time, i believe i have three right now i cant tell yet since they are small and probably still spreading. I have had some that grew on to my chin and my mom took pictures so i can always remember what i went through. What is the medicine called that you need to take everyday?
Michelle- when i woke up and felt the cold sore i couldnt find any abreva in the house so FH went to walmart and got me some but it was to late by that point. I two have not heard about the food thing.
Bridezilla Rex- Are you saying that it is only transmitted by person to person contact?

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:11 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Make an appointment with your family doctor. She/he can do blood work to see if in fact you have the virus. Then you and she can discuss treatment options.

Herpes can be transmitted from person to person through sexual contact, meaning mouth to mouth, mouth to penis, mouth to coochy, etc.

Genital herpes can also be transmitted from mother to baby through a vaginal birth.

It's very important to see your doctor and discuss it with her.

Good Luck Sweetie

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

ok i missed some while i was typing.
Deelightful- i really dont think it is stress because i am not really stressed at this point i dont think. I could be though since i just started school, but like i said i have found that i also getting from other things. As for why i took some on my dads prescription ya i realize that might not be the smartest thing but it was like my dad had a physical done on him to see if it was good for him. It was prescriped by his dentist. And when you have one of these things you will do anythint to get rid of it. Not always the smartest thing. I carry a spf 30 chapstick on me at all times. And for the oral sex, yes i know there is no doing that because it can be transmitted through that.
Does anybody know if this is something heritary(sp)? On one side of my family almost everyone gets these.

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Bridezilla i am really confused! This is NOT gential herpes but i do realize it can be transmitted through oral sex. Why would they have to do blood work to see if i had the virus? There is no doubt that i do. Plus the thought of going through blood work makes me want to faint thinking about it. I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:27 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
Originally posted by FutureMrsKostka:
Bridezilla i am really confused! This is NOT gential herpes but i do realize it can be transmitted through oral sex. Why would they have to do blood work to see if i had the virus? There is no doubt that i do. Plus the thought of going through blood work makes me want to faint thinking about it. I just want to make sure we are on the same page.

It's good medical practice for a doctor to do a thorough check up on you...if they just "take your word" I would question their medical ethics (I was a family practice nurse for 15 years). You should NEVER EVER take anyone's medicine - you could have a fatal reaction. Let a doctor prescribe it for you.

I understand what you are describing is NOT genital herpes, but thought the information should be out there in case there was anyone who was reading the thread, but to shy to ask.

As far as YOU are concerned, I really, really do understand that it scares you to even THINK about getting blood work. I'm the worst patient! But, if you want answers and solutions, you really need to see your family doctor. Certain viruses can be detected through blood work, and herpes is one of them.

Sorry if I confused you.... Wink

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Aright thanks for the claification and now that you said you put the information out for other people, i understand and think it was a good idea.
I dont think i can get myself to go see a doctor for this for the fear that they will take blood.
Story time: I had to have a surgery once and the doctor told me they needed me to take a urine test to make sure i wasnt preggers so i went were i was told and they sat me in this room where i realized i wasnt going to be peeing in a cup instead they pulled out the needle and i ran. They screwed and i got to take the urine test! Smile

Posted: Feb 10, 2006 4:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I can't do anything to change your mind about needles - that's something you need to deal with yourself.

But I can say that (solely from a medical perspective) that it's not healthy to stay away from the doctors office just because of this fear. Talk about it with your doctor, maybe go in to see her when you have an outbreak (you may get lucky), but don't jeopardize your well being and health because of a needle fear.

(i do understand - i really do!)

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine