Weight Loss Buddies - Chapter Three!!!!

Online Users: 1,245 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 163
Posted: Jan 19, 2006 9:33 AM

Hey, girls! Here we go! Chapter Three!!!

Here's a quick refresher! (And luckiest, I'm using yours this time!!!!)

BOARD RULES
1. EVERYBODY is welcome here!!!
2. Try to check in about once a week... most of us (including me) have been avoiding that lately, and over the holidays, we all understand! No actual weight number is needed, just your +/-.
3. Absolutely no negativity allowed! That's right, not even on yourself! Or as some have said "NO STINKIN" THINKIN'!!!"
4. No unhealthy dieting on this board! That means no starvation diets, no fads that do bad things to the rest of your body, no crazy workout schedules. The first and foremost goal of everyone here should always come back to being healthy!

TIPS

1. First, several of these are counter-intuitive, but they work!
2. DRINK YOUR WATER. The human body requires a full gallon of water every day to function at its peak, but can only absorb a maximum of 4 ounces every 20 minutes, so chugging doesn't work. Yes, you'll be making more frequent visits to the ladies room, but it's worth it. Get one of those big ounce-marked sports bottles and keep it filled!
3. EAT. Again, counter-intuitive, I know, but every single time I get stuck, it's because I'm not eating enough. Smaller meals more often is the key... the thinnest healthy people I know are ALWAYS munching on something. Here's a link new folks should check out:
http://www.dietitian.com/ibw/ibw.html - you put your info in and it gives you all kinds of useful information, like your BMI & other cool stuff.
4. DO NOT WORK OUT TO THE POINT OF EXHAUSTION. "No pain, No gain" is a load of horse hockey. If you're hurting, you're injured, plain & simple, and pushing through it is just going to aggravate the injury. Yes, a little muscle burn is a good thing. Having difficulty walking the next day is not. And remember to drink water throughout your workouts, especially the cardio work. 64 ounces is what your body needs when you're not working it. Exercise = you sweat = replace that water.
4. In order to jump start weight loss... GO FIRST THING IN THE MORNING... For about the first two weeks, you can jump-start your metabolism by getting in a good cardio workout first thing, before breakfast. It forces your body to burn fat for fuel instead of carbs. Again, this only works for about two weeks, then your body adjusts & starts storing carbs from dinner the night before, so you'll need to start switching up your workout times.
5. DO NOT DENY THE GOODIES. I know, as soon as you think weight-loss, you think "but that means I can't have chocolate" . Survey says? WRONG. It's okay to have chocolate, or whatever your particular goodie is, as long as you control the portion size. Allow a little bit of your goodie every day, or every other day. One piece of REALLY GOOD chocolate nibbled over 5 minutes is far more effective than a whole pint of ice-cream, and it won't go straight to your hips. The trick with goodies is to eat only what you are hungry enough to savor, and leave the rest in the box.
6. LEAVE THE FAD DIETS ON THE SHELF. Atkins? Yeah, you'll drop in a hurry, but ketosis does nasty things to your kidneys. There are similar problems with most other fast-loss diet plans, and even some of the moderate-pace ones. If you need that kind of structure, South Beach is a far gentler approach that works for a more long term maintainance, rather than swift weight loss. Oh, and weight loss pills? Don't even go there. There is no substitute for determination, hard work, and long term maintainance.
7. This is just a suggestion... Get ahold of a scale that measures body fat & body water percentages as well as weight. They're about $30 at Walmart. These are far more reliable indicators of overal health than just your weight. Also, invest in a tape measure... even when you haven't lost weight, you can still lose inches if you're t

Posted: Jan 19, 2006 9:41 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well, folks, here's my check in!

Weight: 179.8 - that's up a little blush
Body Fat%: +/- 0, still hovering at 40.5%
Body Water%: +.5 to 38%

Posted: Jan 19, 2006 10:38 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey!!!
I sign on this every so often...
Update...

now down another 3 pounds... Heaven without DEPO!! Smile

LETS KEEP GOIN GIRLS!!! WOOO!!!

OK Just FOund Out My Best Friend is getting married!! Smile YAYAYA!! But IN HAWAII!!! OOOO MAN!! MUST WORK QUICKER NOW!!!

I'm sleeping really well now, over 20 inches gone!

Posted: Jan 19, 2006 12:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

ok ladies I lost like 10 pounds since the last check in!YAY!!!!209to 198 Big Grin 30 more pounds to go !!!! pray for me! SmileI'm still depressed about my weight I'm still not sleeping at night so hopefully I'll get there!!!!I GOTTA KEEP TAEBOING, GOTTAKEEP TAEBOING,GOTA.....KEEP.....TAEBOING Confused
oh gosh who am I fooling? Confused

Posted: Jan 19, 2006 1:53 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok ladies I dropped of the weightloss weagon a while ago but I re-joined WW this past Monday. I weighed in at 186. I will check back in next tuesday morning to let you all know how I did on Monday evening. My goal is to be at 165 or even 160 by my wedding (May 6th). My ultamite goal is to be at 140 but I know that is not possilbe by May. I will keep you all posted on my progress. I will stick to it this time.

Posted: Jan 19, 2006 4:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

hi ladies! I have been reading part two for a while, but figured i would wait for part three to come out so i didnt have to go thru 10 pages. well, my wedding is not for a long time (2 years at least) but FH and i are going to Spain this summer and i want to lose some flab before i hit the land of the bikini. i am pretty skinny (115) but im really short too (5'1). im just looking to tone up my belly area. its nice to have encouragement and know people are in this stuggle with you! ill be checking in to let you all know of my progess! thanks
~Christyne

Posted: Jan 19, 2006 6:28 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Can I be a weight loss buddy without using numbers? I haven't actually weighed myself since about 7th grade because the numbers often dishearten me (nothing like seeing a bigger number than I'd like to get me calling in for pity pizza), but I'm starting to work out and trying to eat more healthily and want to work my way down a dress size or so. I'm 5'5" and fit in a size 14 but mostly wear 16's because I like clothes a little looser than most people I know. When I was in high school and never eating and constantly working out I was a size 12 and could just barely squeeze into a 10, so I think wearing 12's and 14's is a reasonable goal for now. Smile

Posted: Jan 19, 2006 6:49 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok I haven't joined in on part 1 or 2 but I better bc I REFUSE to go to Hawaii fat!! I also joined the YMCA last month and have only been there once Red Face Sooo....I need encouragement and someone to check in with to keep me going there. Weight right now 160, would like to be 145-150 by time of wedding. Thanks for the support girls, and get on me if I am not checking in!!

Posted: Jan 19, 2006 9:10 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey girls. This is my first ww thread to join. I weigh about 177 and I would like to lose about 20 lbs by my wedding in September. I have been eating smaller potions and exercising about 4-5 days a week. FH and I have started lifting weights together and jogging. I am also determined to not go to Hawaii fat.

I do have one question to ask you girls....I haven't bought my dress yet...(the goal is to buy by March) What are you doing about your dress if you plan to lose more than a couple of lbs? Will you be able to get it altered??? Just wondering...

Good luck girls!!!!

Posted: Jan 20, 2006 12:54 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey Ladies! I just got engaged and just joined the boards here, but I think that the Weight Loss Buddies might just be the motivation I need! Holidays are over now so it's time to get serious huh?
~Amy Jo

Posted: Jan 20, 2006 3:07 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

WOW! Welcome everyone!

SoontobeMrs.Miller, just a reminder that the goal here is HEALTHY weightloss, which means eating, among other things. Also, BE POSITIVE! No stinkin' thinkin'!!! You'll get there.

Lady_megs, I think sizes are a great benchmark for weightloss! Much better indicator as well, as you gain muscle weight that negates weight lost from fat.

WorththeWait, I laughed when I read your post. "Mine" is essentially yours! I didn't change much, but thanks for the shout out!

As some of you may know, I suffered a terrible sunburn recently so I have not been to the gym in a week. Just for the record, I wasn't even trying to get tan!!! I was just bored and wanted to feel all warm and fuzzy for a few minutes!!!!! I'll update on my regular day, Monday, next week. Good luck and have a productive week ladies! Cool

Posted: Jan 20, 2006 10:10 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Just wanted to check in for the week.

First of all: Welcome to all the New Buddies!!

I've been bad this week, well, not bad, but I haven't had the ability to work out. Had a little spill on Monday, injuring my surgical site, so no activity for me until doctor's visit next Thursday.

I did weigh this morning, and I am +2. Not bad for no activity. I've increased my water and decreased my carbs and will continue to do so until I'm cleared to resume normal activity.

This just goes to show you guys, that inactivity does lead to weigh gain, we can't just do it on diet alone.

Keep up all the great work everyone, continue to be healthy, and NO STINKIN' THINKIN'!!!

Posted: Jan 20, 2006 10:25 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm within two pounds of goal. A quote I see every week on WW.com is from Aristotle: "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence then, is not an act, but a habit."

No one became a concert pianst by fooling around with a casio keyboard on occasion. Just like getting good at anything else, weight loss takes education and practice.

You all are doing fabulous ladies!!! I just want to mention that I've lost 15.8 pounds since June. JUNE!! The weight didn't exactly fly off. Don't be discouraged by "only losing .2" .2 adds up evenutally!!!

Posted: Jan 20, 2006 1:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Congrats, Kaliope! And, yes, every little bit counts.
I gained about 5 pounds over the holidays. I weighed in today at Weight Watchers and I'm down 3 pounds. Yay! I'm back on track. I'm 5'8" and down to about 154, and I started at about 205. I'd like to lose about 10 more pounds and then I'll see how I feel.

Posted: Jan 20, 2006 4:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well this is the perfect thread for me. I'm going to weigh in at 180. I've started weight watchers so I'll inform you all about my weight loss. My goal is to lose 40 pounds before my wedding in Feb 2008 so lets hope I can do it. Wish me luck girls this is my start to a healthier me.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine