Directions for Beading a veil

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 0
Directions for Beading a veil
Posted: May 5, 2005 2:42 AM

Hi ladies,

I've been receiving a ton of emails about directions for beading a veil. I love helping you out, but I wasn't smart enough to right out the directions in word and just copy and paste. So here are the directions. Please note: This is not the ONLY way to do it, but I find it works well.

1. Go to your local fabric store and buy illusion tulle. Obviously however much you need depends on how long you want your veil. Measure from approx. where you veil will sit to where you want it to fall (you'll need help for this). Add a few inches for good measure.

2. Cut out your tulle in the shape that you want for your veil. If you want a blusher that is attached, Cut an oval with the intention of folding it in half later. If you just want one tier, cut a half circle, oval, square, whatever. I recommend that you have already tried on veils at a bridal salong w/ your dress and know what looks good with it.

3. Choose some beads. The best size for this are seed beads. They're small and you can get them at any bead or craft store. Also purchase a set of beading needles (you can get them at fabric stores). Trust me. It will make your life SO much easier.

4. Make sure that your beads match any embellishments on your dress. For example. Don't get pearls if your dress is all sequins or crystal beads. Crystal beads do tend to be your best bet. I went with a small irridescent seed bead. I got fancy and added a larger faceted crystal bead, but you don't have to.

5. Buy thread that matches your veil color or that is clear. Beading floss is easier to work with than fishing lure for this type of thing.

6. Thread your needle. Keep the thread at a single width if it is beading thread. Knot the end so that it will be big enough that it won't pass through one of the holes in the tulle.

7. Now that you have you thread started in your veil, put 5-6 seed beads on your needle. If you are using a larger accent bead as well, Use 5 seed beads, then the accent. I find this number seems to work the best.

8. Once you have pushed your beads down to your veil your going to bring your needle around the edge of the veil and up the other side. This is called a whip stitch. What this does is finish the edge of the veil without you needing to sew it before you sew your beads on. If you are using only one type of bead, it creates a beautiful line. If you are using the 2 bead sizes, it creates a tiny scallop which finishes off the edge beautifully.

9. Keep doing this all around the edge of the veil. Make sure that your keep your tension on the thread consistent. You don't want it too tight or it will look bunchy. You don't want it too loose, or it will look sloppy.

10. You will probably have to get a new piece of thread along the way. Simple whip stitch a knot around the edge. You'll be able to hide the knot with the new beads on your new string.

I realize it may sound complicated but it is actually really easy and it will save you a few hundred dollars. It took me 4 hours to bead my veil. It's something that's great to do when you're watching a movie or Dr. Phil.

Try not to introduce anything new with your beads. You can keep them simple like the irridescent and faceted that I used. OR, if your dress has color in it, pick a bead that has that same color. However, I would avoid matte beads. Get something that is clear or has an AV finish on it. Matte beads in a color may not look great.

If you have any further questions, now that I have given instructions, please feel free to contact me. Or if you want any advice or suggestions.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine