Gifts for parents?

Online Users: 1,289 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 7
Gifts for parents?
Posted: May 4, 2005 6:22 PM

Do I have to give my parents and his parents gifts? What's appropriate?

Gifts for parents?
Posted: May 6, 2005 5:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Please somebody, I really need to know.
I am not sure what to do since we are paying for the wedding ourselves...
Do couples normally give the gifts to thier parents as a token of thank you for paying for the wedding or is it just custom to give the parents gifts no matter what. I don't want to offend either set of parents but we also cannot afford elaborate gifts for them, especially since none of them are together so it would be 4 gifts instead of one to each couple.
Would a card be ok or is that even neccesary?

Times running short and I could really use some suggestions.

Gifts for parents?
Posted: May 7, 2005 2:49 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm really not sure what is proper, but I would say it is more of a "thank you for paying for our wedding and supporting us" kind of deal. Maybe when you get your pics back you could give each parent a simple dual-frame with a pic of you as a child and a pic of you on your wedding day or something like that. It should be more of something you do because you WANT to, not because you feel OBLIGATED to give them something. If it doesn't feel right to give them anything, then maybe you shouldn't. Good luck.

Gifts for parents?
Posted: May 7, 2005 2:57 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

thanks the-luckiest
I was going to do something like the picture idea after the wedding, I just wasn't sure if we needed to present them with a gift at the rehersal dinner (rehersal barbeque actually) when will be giving our attendants thier gifts. Again, I just don't want to hurt anyones feelings but no, I don't feel especially inclined to give them gifts- there hasn't been much support, monetary or otherwise, from our parents.

Gifts for parents?
Posted: May 7, 2005 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

That's a sticky situation, since they will be there when you are giving attendants gifts. I can definitely understand you not wanting to gift your parents. I think a card might still be in order though so you don't totally slap them in the face.

Gifts for parents?
Posted: May 8, 2005 11:38 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Give them flowers. Go to your grocery store and just buy them some flowers (no they don't have to be expensive) and write a little note and tie to the vase "thank you for raising such a wonderful son" or "thank you for supporting us through this very special time" or something like that.

You don't have to be elaborate about the gifts. I'm giving my parents nice gifts but that's because they're trying to help me in any way that they can. His parents on the other hand...well, we don't know if they'll be paying for the rehearsal dinner or not yet. But I'll be sending his parents flowers the day after our wedding saying thank you for raising such a wonderful son.

Gifts for parents?
Posted: May 9, 2005 12:42 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey there. We are giving our parents frames that match our wedding cake top. In the photo area we have chosen a cute little poem and later we are giving them parents albums. I saved by buying the frames on ebay. They were cheaper than buying them from the circle of love. Anyway a nice frame with a poem that can be later replaced with a photo of you and/or your husband is a nice idea. Macy's, Kohls, TJMAXX, and Marshalls usually have great sales on frames. You could do each gift for under 20 bucks. Best of luckSmile

Gifts for parents?
Posted: May 10, 2005 10:09 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

You are right--could get sticky if you give gifts with an audience. Could you give everyone their gifts separately, not in front of each other. I'm sure your personal heartfelt thanks while giving them the gift will be really special to them.

I gave my parents a nice verbal thanks, followed by a nice written thank you note, nice framed picture, and photo albumn with some hard copy of our wedding pictures, a CD with the rest of the pictures on it (so they could choose which ones to print if they wanted any more), a bottle of wine, and flowers.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine