Plus Size Maid of Honor

Online Users: 1,297 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10
Plus Size Maid of Honor
Posted: Mar 16, 2005 6:31 PM

My sister is my maid of honor and she is about a size 26-28. I am looking for a style that would work for her. Strapless or spaghetti dress won't work at all. Any ideas on a type of dress that would be flattering? This is a touchy subject as she is looking at dresses that won't suit her at all. Help!

Plus Size Maid of Honor
Posted: Mar 16, 2005 7:02 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've got some ideas as I'm a BBW myself, but what is the style that you would like her in? Is she the only female in the bridal party? Or does she need to coordinate with others too? If you mainly are concerned with color then once the two of you have picked out her dress then maybe your other gals can wear a complimentary style in the same color? In that case just make sure that all the dresses are from the same designer.

I also wear size 26-28. I'm closer to an hourglass figure than to a pear, but here are some links to things I have tried that I thought looked decent.

Jasmine B2 from Spring 2004 or Fall 2003 (the straps are not solid in back. They break into strings of two or three but are very pretty):
http://www.jasminebridal.com/web1/b2/jasmine-b2-carrydetail.asp?contactid=77%20&imgid=B5303

Romantic--- only seen this designer on Bride Save but it's pretty and modest.
http://bridesave.com/search/index.cfm?action=details&product_id=3898&opt30=1443&opt31=1621

Davinci Maids (plain but pretty) http://bridesave.com/search/index.cfm?action=details&product_id=12007&opt30=930&opt31=3372

Also, bring her with you when you go looking for your dress. When you make your appointment tell them that the appointment is for your dress and your MOH's dress. That way they will be ready to help both of you. A good bridal shop consultant should be able to pick out some things that will be flattering.

Two more things--an A-line is flattering on almost anyone. And the Empire Waist gowns that a lot of people try to put plus size gals in are not flattering on everyone. On some of us they look like an A-line that wasn't let out enough in the bust or may us look rather pregnant.

Sorry this was so long. I hope I've helped at least a little.

Plus Size Maid of Honor
Posted: Mar 16, 2005 9:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

You could do seperates for your MOH and bridesmaids; pick a color and fabric and let them mix and match. She could find a boat or square neck top with 3/4 sleeves, and if you have other BMs and they want spaghetti straps or strapless styles, they can go for it.

Plus Size Maid of Honor
Posted: Mar 16, 2005 11:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi there -

I would suggest you avoid any strapless or spaghetti strap options. As one option, she could buy the same dress as the rest of the bridesmaids, but order extra fabric and get a bolero jacket made or have 3/4 length sleeves and a higher neck and back sewn in.

I would also suggest you look for dresses with a fitted bodice, an open neckline (but no cleavage showing) princess seams, and an overall A line shape.

I was a Maid of Honor recently and the bride chose a spaghetti-strap Alfred Angelo dress for us attendants. Now, I am only a size 10 but have a E/F bust! There's no way I could wear spaghetti straps. So - we ordered more fabric (one yard) and changed the dress' neckline to more of a tank shape (thick straps) and added a cuff to the neckline for more coverage. It looked beautiful AND I could wear a regular bra! In comparison to the other attendants' dresses, mine looks more 'finished' then the others.

Best of luck - and remember, a good seamstress can do anything!

Mary

Plus Size Maid of Honor
Posted: Mar 16, 2005 11:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest
Plus Size Maid of Honor
Posted: Mar 17, 2005 10:18 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Kiss+Makeup. Just a question and I don't want this to come off an snotty or anything.

Is there a reason that you suggest no cleavage? And a High Neck? Even with larger gals we all have different shapes and different things would look good.

I meantion this because personally, a high neck or even a boat neck makes me look even bigger. And much older and no matter how goothe the bra it makes my bosom appear to be dangerously close to my belly button. This may not be the case with the larger gals you know or with andy's MOH... But I was just wondering if you had noticed something that I hadn't.

Andy--I'd suggest again that you make an appointment at a bridal shop for your sister. Try to find someplace that will have a variety of styles and sizes so that she can actually try some things on. A good bridal boutique should have a consultant that can help point out things that would flatter your sister. But make an appointment and try to go during the week, and during the average workday if at all possible. The reason is that the store will be much quieter and you'll have more oportunity for individual attention.

Plus Size Maid of Honor
Posted: Mar 17, 2005 5:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks for the great dress advice. My sister is my only attendant so she can have any type she wants without worrying about it matching others. I just want the best look for her and for her to feel good in it.
thanks for the email addresses. Smile

Plus Size Maid of Honor
Posted: Mar 18, 2005 1:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Probably the best thing for both of you is a shopping trip or two where both of you decide what looks best and feels beautiful. You don't need to go to bridal shops alone. Many good departments stores (Macy's, Nordstrom's) have excellent choices for plus size women and will make your sister feel totally comfortable. They even have personal shoppers (free) who are experts and will search the whole system for just the right thing. So, try to make it fun and a bonding experience for the two of you.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Plus Size Maid of Honor
Posted: Mar 19, 2005 11:19 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I have a girl in my wedding party that is worried about her size and the dress chosen. I have 7 girls to accomodate for...I would up choosing a 2 piece Alfred Sung dress. I chose a color that is deep/dark. It is plum. I know that light colors make people appear larger. Most of my girls have avg to large frames. The 2 piece allowed the to choose sizes to fit their proportions and the color if NOT BLACK and still dark and flattering. I think no matter what the size of the girl, each woman has something positive to accentuate. If she has great cleavage why not show it a little...if her she has nice calves and her legs are shapely, choose a tea length over a fulll length skirt. Maybe a sheer shawl to wrap around to cover larger arms?

Plus Size Maid of Honor
Posted: Mar 19, 2005 12:57 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Try a skirt with a flattering top...you could do different style tops for the different girls...Just an idea

Plus Size Maid of Honor
Posted: Mar 21, 2005 3:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

One of my MOH BB girl."I have 2 MOH, 2 BF" Emmie Bridal is awesome. They dress are beautiful. Alfrd angelo also makes beautiful gowns for maids. Hope I helped

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine