Excited and scared just ordered melissa sweet gown

Online Users: 1,308 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12
Posted: Mar 5, 2005 2:28 PM

I just wanted to share wtih someone that i just ordered my gown. Do you guys like it? Its for an august 05 wedding - outside ceremony. Melissa Sweet Moriah Gown. It was so expensive - its so scary to spend so much on a dress for one day. I'm so scared the mermaid style will make my hips look too big or round - i want to look thin. I looked for 8 moths for a dress. morian gown

Posted: Mar 6, 2005 3:58 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

it's gorgeous but $3000?
If it's in your budget,do it

Posted: Mar 6, 2005 12:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

It was more than i wanted to spend - and i probably spent too much ... but i loved it. My other fav. gowns were by Lazaro. I only have 5 months left though and i haven't been able to make a decision on anything. Now, i'm wonering - what do people wear under their gowns ... for a flat stomach, etc. I want to be comfortable but i don't want any lines to show, etc.

Posted: Mar 6, 2005 6:34 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think it looks beautiful. I know what you mean about not being able to make decisions....I've been waiting til the last minute for everything! As far as undergarments...did your dress salon recommend a slip? I am asking everyone this question b/c they told me I should wear one and I don't want to. Smile

Posted: Mar 7, 2005 12:44 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Your dress is beautiful and you deserve the dress that you want for your wedding day. I just ordered my dress yesterday then I totally freaked out. One of my bridesmaids was with me and calmed me down, now I feel confident with my choice. As far as undergarments have you ever heard of Spanx? They come in all different styles to flatten stomaches and/or contour hips. Whatever you need them to do.

Posted: Mar 7, 2005 8:49 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I went to nearly all of my dress shopping appointments myself ... mostly because my mom and i don't agree on me getting married (i'm 30 and have been with this guy for 4 years i know what i'm doing, mom) and my bridesmaids all live out of town. Sorry, tangent. Anyway ... i am very excited about my gown but i was shaking all the way home. that's so much money to spend ... but i'm so happy i chose this one instead of one i didn't really want becuase it was cheaper. I was thinking i can always consign it after the wedding if i want to. We'll see. Thank you for the suggestion ... i'll look for Spanx -- do you know where its sold? I think i'll start looking in department store lang. sections. I was going to call the store, Priscilla of Boston, and see if they have recomendations. I don't know if i need a slip - i'm not into puffy and don't really want the crinoline. But i guess i might need a slip, too. I NEVER wear those things. LOL! Smile Thank you guys for listening and responding.

Posted: Mar 7, 2005 10:29 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I totally understand where you are coming from with spending a lot on a dress you like. I didn't spend as much as you; my dress is about $1600, but then I got a 20% discount. But I was willing to spend $2000. I wanted to get a different kind of dress, something I really liked, and I knew that meant spending a little more. I did draw a line, though. I loved a Priscilla of Boston dress, but it was $4200, and that was just to much for me. I jokingly told my fiance that I had found the dress of my dreams (this was after I already decided on the one I have now), and it was $4200. He's so sweet that he told me to go ahead and get it, if it's what I really want. But I think he was very relieved when I told him the truth.

Anyway, I think that it's really up to you on if you want to spend the money. If you are paying for it, and your fiance is ok, then who can really say anything? It's your money and your wedding, after all.

by the way, just in case you want to see (and I also just love to show everyone!), this is my dress- style 601 on this page.

Posted: Mar 7, 2005 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Congrats of picking out your dress!

And thank all of you for helping me feel better about what I spent on my dress too. Although I'm thinking I have a much smaller budget.

What are you folks doing for hair and jewelry?

Posted: Mar 21, 2005 9:53 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I just ordered the same Moriah gown from Melissa Sweet in Atlanta over the weekend for my Sept. 05 wedding! I absolutely love the gown. I haven't decided anything about undergarmets or jewelery yet though. I would love to know what you decide on.

Posted: Mar 21, 2005 11:28 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks for responding!! We'll have to keep each other posted. I just loved the gown so much. How long did it take you to decide on this gown? Thanks for responding!!! Its nice to know someone else who is going through what i am. Smile) GOOD LUCK!

Posted: Mar 22, 2005 2:45 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Oh my goodness it's so beautiful. Very fairy-taleish without being poofy or Cinderella-ey. (not that either of those things are bad). It just looks very dreamy and ethereal...love the embroidery. Also don't worry too much about the shape...it's a soft mermaid shape, it looks like it flares just below the hips rather than down at the knee, so it should drape and move beautifully on you, esp when YOUR dress is fitted for you and the right length and all.
I sincerely believe that if you can afford it you should ALWAYS get the dress of your dreams. That is one thing not to skimp on. It's one day, yes, but it's THE daym, and it's the only wedding thing you will experience ALL day and in all your memories. You should feel like a princess/goddess/angel whatever you dreamed of, and you will in that dress.

Posted: Mar 23, 2005 5:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

It's beautiful! I'm getting married outdoors this August too! I had a helluva time picking a gown, finally just bought one Saturday off the rack for $465; ivory, strapless, satin aline, very elegant, beading, etc. I bought a slip but not the scratchy crinoline kind. I didn't want one at all but the salesgirl said that a lot of brides that don't wear them, especially with it being hot, have issues with their dresses gathering between their legs as they walk, so I decided to buy it; it was only $40, a little puffy but not bad.
I say if your budget allows it, good for you! I have a HUGE indecisiveness problem, so picking it was not a great moment b/c I'm always worried I'll find something better, or I should've gone with white; but in the end I love it, so that's what counts.
Good luck with everything!

Posted: Mar 23, 2005 5:53 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Congrats! It's a beautiful gown! I went on my first trip to a bridal shop this past week. (One of my bridesmaids is getting married before me, and she wanted me to try on bridesmaid dresses since I'm a bridesmaid in her wedding.) I was in awe! I tried on one gown (a Mori Lee) that I later found listed for $600 in the most recent Modern Bride and for $465 on BridalSave.com. No decisions yet (my day is waaaaaay off), but I was entranced. My parents told me that they think I should buy my own gown (my mom did that), so I'm the one scrimping and saving. I'd have loved to have a Maggie Sottero, but my price range falls much lower.

Suggestion for a slip if you need one, ask around with your friends, like I said I have a friend getting married before me, and my sister has crinolines if I feel like going that route.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine