Mother of Bride dress

Online Users: 1,233 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5
Mother of Bride dress
Posted: Feb 13, 2005 7:06 PM

What is a good style for a 60+year Mother of the Bride, size 8. Many of the dresses advertised for Mother of the Bride are matronly and others would look good on a much younger woman. Any suggestions for style? Where to buy?

Mother of Bride dress
Posted: Feb 14, 2005 10:20 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

My mom is almost 60 and I have printed out about 80 dresses because she is going to buy it when she comes to my city. I found them on this website, modernbride under dressfinder; mothers. There are all different styles. I checked out dresses at the bride botiques and I think those are the best options because they are actually made for mothers. I would like my mom to wear like a 3/4 length dress, plain, straight, with a blazer style jacket on top, she can take it off after the ceremony. It is hard to describe, but there is also a section on REAL MOTHERS, which can give you some good ideas too!

Mother of Bride dress
Posted: Feb 14, 2005 11:34 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I think the most important thing is that your mom not limit herself to only bridal shops and outfits "labeled" for the mother of the bride. Make sure she is looking at department stores and other formal-wear locations for things she likes - depending on the formality of your wedding, maybe a lovely silk or satin crepe suit, or an elegant but not-too-ornate evening gown. Worst case scenario, she can always have something made - that's what my mom did!
- Sara at www.classysassyweddings.com

Mother of Bride dress
Posted: Feb 14, 2005 12:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I suggest a good boutique or department store, rather than a bridal shop. Avoid anything labeled "Mother of the Bride" (usually pastel polyester!) and look for something chic and flattering to the individual. If Mom can wear a strapless ballgown at her age, great! If not, a soft suit or dress and coat, long or short, is a timeless look.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Mother of Bride dress
Posted: Feb 14, 2005 11:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

That designer St. John makes fabulous cocktail suits and gowns for ladies "of a certain age". I don't know what your mom wants to spend (it's pricey), but they are really nice and she'd definitely be able to wear it again. As Myra said, if she looks good in a strapless dress, rock it! She can also wear one of the little shrugs or capelets, that are popular right now, over it if she's a bit self-conscious. I don't want my mom to look like a matron, either. I think she should look elegant and regal, so those are my "buzzwords" I'm keeping in mind while we look.

Mother of Bride dress
Posted: Feb 15, 2005 6:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I went "mother dress" shopping with my mom and my future mother in law, both of whom are near 60. They found dresses they liked and which looked good on them, but did not scream "mother of the bride/groom". I suggest looking at Jade which is Jasmine bridals line of mother dresses (www.jasminebridal.com) and Montage & Cameron Blake, both mother lines by Mon Cheri (www.moncheribridal.com). My mom got dress # 24937 by Montage (under best sellers) in aqua, and it doesn't look mothery at all-we kept saying it would be perfect for formal night on their next cruise. All three lines are moderately priced and come in a variety of colors. Good luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine