Here to help brides with Tight Budgets!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 47
Posted: Feb 20, 2005 7:33 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

ALL BRIDES READ THIS:

I don't know who recommended it to me, but I'm passing it on - for brides on a budget (and really, who isn't?), you absolutely MUST get the book "Bridal Bargains" by Denise and Alan Fields. I just bought it, and it's AMAZING. I'm having so much fun reading it and even though my wedding is still 16 months off, I want to get started right away! The book retails for $14.95, but I bought mine on Amazon for less than $5 - definitely worth it!

Posted: Feb 20, 2005 8:28 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I total agree Northwind this book is so worth it.
It helped me with my wedding planning.
Nicole
married 10/12/02

Posted: Feb 24, 2005 12:37 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am still in the planning process right now, but here are some of the things I have saved on:

-my dress: i got it at Jon's Bridal. They sell their dresses off the rack so mine was only $280.

-location: i am getting married on the beach and having the reception in one of the shelters nearby. it is costing me $49 for 6 hours. consider a public park or garden.

-invitations: i ordered 50 blank invitations and envelopes that have palm trees on them. my whole theme is casual and these were great. it was about $45. I am handwriting all the addresses. For RSVP's I am sending Florida post cards since the postage is much cheaper for postcards.

-Cake: I am ordering about 45 cupcakes and setting them on tiers. it looks pretty cool if you dont mind a less traditional approach.

-Favors: I spent $50 on 100 sand dollars to give away as favors and to use as decorations.

So far I feel I have saved in those areas. I am continuing to look for other budget-friendly ideas. I hope this helps. Good luck to all. T

Posted: Mar 3, 2005 4:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi all,

The best idea I have to save money is to do something unique. IF you do something original, like a backyard BBQ, or a picnic on the beach, or a breakfast at your parent's house, nobody will be thinking about how little or much you may have spent. Everybody will be focused on how unique your wedding is instead.

Also that can help if you want to skip some "traditional" big ticket items like a fancy cake or big floral centerpieces. Example: if you do a potluck in a park, you don't need floral centpiences on picnic tables. You could do candles to keep bugs away instead - instant savings. Or, if you do a BBQ, you could wedding cupcakes instead of a cake - much cheaper.

Other ideas to save - skip the favors. Nobody will miss them and honestly they get thrown away anyways. Just look at it this way, if you were going to spend $200 of your $5K budget on favors, you could put it to better use on flowers or food.

A way to save on decorations - use fruit. Coat citrus fruit in sugar and place in a bowl, or use apples and pears in a basket. It's pretty and its cheap to get them from a farmers market.

To save on food, try a picnic or potluck. Espeically if you're keeping your wedding fairly small, it would be fun to have your friend and family each bring something. If that doesn't appeal to you, do a breakfast wedding. It's much eaiser and cheaper to provide pastries, fruit salad, and coffee than dinner - plus you'll save big time on alcohol.

Lastly, either make your invitations or go with simple inexpensive ones. If you just do a basic invite with a basic color, skip the cheesy graphics, and if you really want ribbons them - tie them yourselves. You'd be surprised how much adding a little graphic or having an extra color can cost. IF you chose a basic, simple style for your invites, it will look elegant and stylish - not cheap.

Good luck all!

Posted: Mar 4, 2005 8:14 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I thought that our backyard reception would save us alot of money. WRONG! I didn't think about tent, chair, table, linen, lighting rental = $1800. The caterer is $2000. I have to hire 1 person each for shuttle service to and from large parking lot that I okay'd we use for the evening = $100 and one person to go around and make sure the tables are cleaned up and food/dessert is set out & cleaned up, etc = $100.
So that is already $4000. Another $500 on favors, centerpieces and dessert table.
The DJ is my family friend for free (thank goodness). The Video will be done by a family friend as well as the photography (we'll pay just for the DVD's and photographs, again, thank goodness).
So I'm up to $4500 without alcohol and refreshments and that is JUST for the reception.

So anyone thinking a backyard reception is cheaper, its not. Go with a hall rental and the price will include all those things you don't think of.

Posted: Mar 4, 2005 2:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey Everyone- I have to say that I ALMOST wish I would have taken the new car my dad offered instead of the "big" wedding. I thought that we would only spend 10,000 max, and we are almost to $20,000 already. How much do reception sites rent for where y'all live? My reception alone is 11,000.

MAybe I can save in other ways, but I've bargained just about everyone I know down from their original price.

Posted: Mar 6, 2005 10:51 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi Nicole

What are some of your tips for weddings on a budget?

Thanks!
Christine

Posted: Mar 7, 2005 1:18 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Just to give you an idea of just how tight my budget is, my parents are only paying for the following:

Sanctuary Fee = $150
Pastoral Fee = $150
Pianist = $100
Student Photographer = $200
and MAYBE the food at the reception, which will only be desserts & appetizers.

And I am paying for absolutely everything else... I make $1000/month, and $500/month goes to bills, groceries, etc. We're getting married in July, and I JUST got my bank account out of a sticky situation (situation being NEGATIVE in numbers). So you do the math... I still haven't gotten my dress, accessories, or any of that.

The book "Bridal Bargains" is helping like crazy!!

Posted: Mar 7, 2005 2:53 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

We thought that our site would save us money because everything is in the same place. Well, we only have one site fee but we have to pay for rentals and that has made the savings a wash again. Renting tables, chairs and linens costs big time. We're trying to decide about renting plates, glassware and cutterly now.

One thing that we have done is used our network of friends to find things locally whenever possible. And this has worked out in our favor more often then not.

Examples:
Our DJ is the hubby of a former employee of mine and he's amazing! And charging us less than the radio stations or traditional DJ services.

Our cake is being make by a former employee of one of my boss's colleague (we're all still on really good terms). She's charging less then what we were going to pay to have the bakery do it. Plus we are now going to serve the top layer too and order a replica of the top layer for our first aniversary. (Why do we want to eat year old cake?)

Posted: Mar 7, 2005 3:00 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

No kidding about renting plates, glassware and cutterly. Our site provides tables and chairs, I just have to rent the above and tablecloths. But I started pricing it out and !!!!! I'm currently debating using paper plates and plastic glasses and forks. Bleh. I'm not sure what I will end up doing.

Posted: Mar 8, 2005 1:29 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Really great ideas here... My wedding was a little more then 5k but even with the honeymoon which was really the most expensive part we were under our budget of 10k.

Posted: Mar 8, 2005 1:44 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Those of you keeping the wedding around $5000, how many guests have you had?

I'm looking at 150 - 250 people; both FH and I have large families with people we can't not invite. sigh I can't imagine having a wedding for that many people for $5000. I would have to get a caterer; no one in my family, even with help, could cook for so many people. We could have it at home, but the rental costs to seat that many people are sky high....

Posted: Mar 8, 2005 3:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

$11,000. girl! are you interested in the sacred event or the sacrificial event? reduce that. your desires seem to be bigger than reality. we are not Star Jones wannabees. trust me, we went from 120 to 80 folks. we went from the marriot at $115 per pers. to another locale at $40 per. we went from Limo to drop off svc. and to making our own souvenirs (cd's with our pics., theme, and date!) most folks throw that stuff out, but they won't throw away a cd. my girlf's father offered her $20k NOT TO MARRIED THIS GUY, she turned it down and is still PAYING....nuff said?

quote:
Originally posted by myweddingday:
Hey Everyone- I have to say that I ALMOST wish I would have taken the new car my dad offered instead of the "big" wedding. I thought that we would only spend 10,000 max, and we are almost to $20,000 already. How much do reception sites rent for where y'all live? My reception alone is 11,000.

MAybe I can save in other ways, but I've bargained just about everyone I know down from their original price.

Posted: Mar 8, 2005 3:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

girl.....try a friday or a sunday. just do appetizers and let folks GO HOME AND MOOCH. it's about the day not the people...i am learning that myself. you can do it.

quote:
Originally posted by Jes:
Those of you keeping the wedding around $5000, how many guests have you had?

I'm looking at 150 - 250 people; both FH and I have large families with people we can't not invite. sigh I can't imagine having a wedding for that many people for $5000. I would have to get a caterer; no one in my family, even with help, could cook for so many people. We could have it at home, but the rental costs to seat that many people are sky high....

Posted: Mar 8, 2005 5:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I did cut my guests down for my wedding so I could keep it under $5k. I originally had 140 guests, we cut it down to 125 and only 90 guests showed up. It is possible to do a wedding for that many guests for 5k, but you have to make some sacrifices, if you want to call it that. I shopped around a lot for prices and it really is amazing how many places differ in prices. We had one place quote us $1300 for flowers, the next place quoted us $600 and the next one $500. The final place we went quoted us $300 and it ended up costing us $230. We put our flowers the exact same every florist we went to. I stayed with basic roses and lamonium. One rose on each table with 2 votive candles surrounding it (we bought the holders for $0.48 a piece and Yankee candles 18 for $9.99.). Shop around and I am sure you could get your budget close to 5k if you wanted to.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine