Here to help brides with Tight Budgets!

Online Users: 1,311 guest(s), 2 user(s). Replies: 47
Posted: Jan 26, 2005 6:51 PM

Hi Ladies,
I just wanted to give everyone out there hope of having there dream weddings without spending the big bucks. There are lots of us out there that have a tight budget. I was one of them. My whole wedding cost me $5000 and you would never know it. With Time and effort that is all it takes. I want to help anyone who is stuck and afraid they can't get that dream dress, wedding ring, cake flowers etc..... Email me I will be glad to share with you how to make it all come true.
Nicole
Nicole0276@comcast.net

Posted: Jan 27, 2005 4:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi! this is Monica. I was reading your letter. It was very interesting to me. It sounds like the type of situation that I'm in. I am also trying to budget my wedding with 5,000.00 if you have any requests or ideas please e-mail me back at: mnunez@amfam.com
Thank you

Posted: Jan 27, 2005 8:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I also did my wedding for $5k. It was nice and just what we wanted. Since our wedding, I have seen things I like even better than what we did and it would have cost less. I would have spent the money differently than I did, but I am still happy with how my wedding went!

Posted: Jan 28, 2005 11:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi! Kelly,
I was wondering what it was that you saw for less and liked to have had at your wedding.

Posted: Jan 28, 2005 12:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Monica,
I would be glad to help you out with any question you have. Email me at my email address. Nicole

Posted: Jan 28, 2005 12:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi Monica! One of the favors I wish I would have done was a votive candle holder with our names and dates on them. Buy the candle holders at a dollar store. Use the paper that is sticky and clear, just like tape, and type on your name and date. That is one of the things I would have liked better than the cookie cutters. I also would have cut down the prices on the cake, dj and hall. We could have tried to work out a better deal than we got, but we were afraid that people would have gotten mad at us if we asked them to lower the price. Those are a few things. We did not use a professional photographer. We used a girl who just graduated (1 week before our wedding) from a school in RI for photography to take our pictures. It was nice not to have to spend a lot of money on the pictures. But I did sacrifice the quality of the pictures. Let me know if you want any more idea's on how to save.

Posted: Jan 28, 2005 4:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would love ideas on how to save... Our budget is 5k as well, and we're both concerned about meeting it. Some of our major cost savers are going to be: having my FMIL and her 3 foodie friends cater, hiring a college student to play the ceremony music, having my mother write out addresses etc instead of a calligrapher or printer, making the favors ourselves (bon bon boxes full of jordan almonds), and perhaps even having my dress homemade by my talented mommy. I think our big problem is going to be ceremony & reception site fees.

Posted: Jan 28, 2005 9:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If you all don't mind my asking, what are you including when you say you have a 5K budget??

I tried to have a 5K budget, but when you figure in wedding bands, honeymoon, etc, there's just no way!

The best way to cut your expenses (and I hate to say this) is to use the slash-and-burn method on your guest list. Frown

It sounds mean. But unfortunately I've had to cut people off who I realized
1.) I had no idea who they were
2.) They were something like the groom's mother's second cousin's son, etc...

Posted: Jan 28, 2005 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yes, I've heard that's the most effective way to slash prices. It definitely makes sense. Our guest list is at about 40-50 people for exactly that reason.

For us, the honeymoon is not included in the budget. My FH said he'd rather put money toward a house than a honeymoon. I convinced him that after 18+ months of planning I'm going to HAVE to have at least a long weekend away, but our honeymoon will probably be pretty inexpensive. As for the bands, they probably won't be included in our budget either because the one we want for me is almost 1/5 the total budget! Roll Eyes

Posted: Jan 28, 2005 11:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My budget did not include the honeymoon. We did spend another $5k on our honeymoon (maybe a little less). The $5k included our wedding bands, ceremony site, reception site, dj, cake, photographer, caterer, favors, centerpieces, dress, dress accesories, gifts, flower girl dress, ring bearer tux (grooms was free), jewelry, nails, hair and table settings. It included everything, except the honeymoon.

Posted: Feb 8, 2005 1:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks for the great ideas. I think I will use some of them for my own wedding. It is so nice to know that you don;t really HAVE to spend $20,000 for a nice and elegant wedding.

Nicole

Posted: Feb 8, 2005 9:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am working on a 4K budget for my July wedding. The 4K will come in a few weeks before the wedding (thanks to my parents Home equity loan), and everything else is being paid out of pocket before hand.
$2750 - Food, Alcohol, Rentals, Site Fee, Tax, Gratuity
$200 - Petticoat, Tiara, Hair, Makeup, Etc.
$150 - String Students for Live Music
$100 - Student Photographer (informal pics, includes film)
$50 - Ministers Honorarium
$350 - "Extras" Cushion
$400 - Flowers
Out of Pocket:
My Dress ($600, THANKS MOM Big Grin)
Bridesmaids Dresses (Again, THANKS MOM Big Grin)
FH's Tux (probably free)
Invitations (FFIL is a graphic artist)
Favours (FH and I are paying)
Rings are on a jewelry store credit card
BM/GM/parents gifts (FH and I are paying)

Posted: Feb 8, 2005 10:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I would love to hear everyone's money saving tips. My FH and I are also on a $5000-$6000 budget and any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! Any chance that you guys could discuss wedding info on the board rather than through private e-mail? I'd love to get in on the conversation. Smile

Posted: Feb 9, 2005 5:13 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm working on keeping my wedding at 5K, not including the honeymoon. We will probably spend another 3K on that. The ways I'm saving the most is by getting friends and family to help. We are paying for all the materials, but they are going to be doing much of the labor.

A cousin is making the invitations and programs. We made save-the-date magnets for $10 on our computer. I'm making favors for <$1 each. Flowers from a wholesale flower market, and a FSIL will arrange them. Friends are preparing all the food. A friend of ours is going to officiate and be the DJ for $200. I got a really good deal with a photographer by making contacts of ep-o.com. ($500 for a photographer with 20 years experience!) I'm planning to get a dress for $100 at a bridal discount store or outlet. Having the rehearsal dinner as a BBQ in a friends' backyard.

Here's how I currently am breaking it down:
Reception including food, alcohol, site rental, cake, the whole show - $2500.
Music - $200
Flowers - $100
Wedding Attire - $500 (I'm really hoping not to have to spend all this, but I wanted to budget for alterations.)
Photography - $500
Stationary - $200
Extras meaning attendants gifts, wedding bands, marriage license, guest book, wedding night hotel, etc - $1000.

This thread board has been a great help to me. I've gotten a lot of links to websites I would never have found. Another good resource is "Fire Your Wedding Planner" by Stephi Stewart. (www.fireyourweddingplanner.com/ebook/) I did the 30-day trial, and didn't pay because I'd already gotten a lot of the suggestions from other places, but it would have really helped me out when I first started.

lkl

Posted: Feb 20, 2005 3:15 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I spent $3000 on mine and it was nice. We opted for heavy appetizers instead of dinners.
Read "savy wedding advice"

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine