I want Brown, FI wants Black

Online Users: 1,231 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17
Posted: Jan 10, 2005 1:26 PM

I have fallen in love with Espresso colored Bridesmaid dresses. We're having an October Outdoors Wedding so I think it's appropriate. The only problem my Fiancé is insisting on wearing a black Tux. This is the one thing that he's not willing to compromise on. Is there a way I could have Brown Dresses with the Groom and groomsmen wearing black tuxes?

I have also considered a lighter cafe, color brown and burnt orange.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 1:30 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Why on earth would you think you couldn't have your young man wear a black tux? Black and brown show up all the time together. I think the whole thing sounds gorgeous, and very sophisticated.

Good luck!

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Everyone who I have talked to said I can not put Dark Brown with Black, including him. He is willing to have color in his vest. Do I use the same color brown there or a lighter color or... ???

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 2:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Maybe I'm just too much of an iconoclast, but I think "everyone you talked to" is full of baloney.

The whole point of ritualized formalwear for men (i.e. tuxes) is that they work with ANYTHING the bridesmaids wear. If "you can't put brown with black" then no woman would ever wear a chocolate brown cocktail dress or chestnut-brown evening dress because it wouldn't work with her young man's tuxedo.

And if you can't put brown with black, somebody really ought to tell the Dooney and Bourke handbag people -- they've been selling an awful lot of brown handbags with black trim for lo, these many years at hundreds of dollars a pop.

It's true that it's considered inappropriate for men to wear brown shoes with a black suit. But that's not the same thing.

I'm not sure I understand his comment. He says "your bridesmaids dresses can't be brown, because tuxes are black"? Phooey!! :-))

As for vests -- I would say that the most elegant and sophisticated presentation is to skip the colored vest business altogether. If you really, really want a colored vest, I'd say some lighter shade than the dresses (the same hue, but whiter), but not ivory. Think milk in the espresso. Then give them pepperberry or bittersweet boutonierres.

Good luck!

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 5:57 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I agree with Judi. I think it would look sophisticated. I wear black and brown together all of the time (black pants with a brownish shirt). You may have to use some other color to brighten it up (like the flowers or decorations), but it really would look nice. Also, I would not put the guys in the same color vests, I don't think it would really show up. I would either use black or a lighter color of brown.

Posted: Jan 10, 2005 7:43 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I agree with the rest of the posters (ditto the "Phooey"!) Black tuxes are classic and go with anything. Many tux companies make accessories in weaves of black with champagne, bronze, or brown, all of which will tie in with your color. Or you could use a straight dull bronze metallic to tie in with your look. Good luck--show your FI all these posts!
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Jan 11, 2005 2:40 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

The groom could wear black (I would have him wear all black, vest shirt, tie) and then I would have the groomsmen either wear white with brown vests of I would have them wear black with brown vests. But I am one of those people that think that brown and black do not go together. It doesn't matter what your groom wears though because he walks with you not the bridesmaids

Posted: Jan 12, 2005 8:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My girls wore chocolate brown dresses and the guys black tuxes. It looked lovely. I don't know who ever decided that wouldn't look good! Black is really a neutral....besides, what would you have your guy wear instead???

Posted: Jan 14, 2005 4:15 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

this is the first idea that came to mind, you may not like it which is understandable. You could have the groom and his men wear white tuxes or suits with brown satin vests. For a more formal look, they could even wear tails, a top hat, or both. I think that the brown color you like would look beautiful next to roses or other types of flowers in shades of dark and soft pinks.

Posted: Jan 14, 2005 4:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My FH also wants an all black tux and we are having an outdoor wedding in June. He is getting his way with his tux, and since my 'maids dresses are navy blue the groomsmen will have black pants, white shirts, navy ties and vets, and black jackets.

Posted: Jan 16, 2005 6:30 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i also wanted expresso colored dresses. (the dresses are strapless by dessy) but was told it wouldnt look good with the guys in black. so since then i have chosen burgendy dresses. i may reconsider now!!! thank for all who had input!

Posted: Feb 15, 2005 11:28 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i LOVE fall weddings! so for mine i too am NOT budging on the BM color (espresso). i was thinking about accenting with flower colors like golds, deep reds, hot pinks, oranges, yellows, etc. for a very "fall" feel. my fiance doesn't seem concerned about the black tux and brown dress possibly "clashing". plus the brown is very deep, some may even think it is black! maybe his vest can have light swirls of gold or something, so it's not all solid black, or his vest can be white or ivory (depending on your dress color)? just be creative....

Posted: Feb 16, 2005 11:23 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hi All - My wedding is Oct. 1st and I want to do chocolate brown dresses too, and the finance wants a black tux. I am thinking that black is a non-color so pairing it with brown is the same as if you had red dresses, etc. It's allowed!

My other question to you guys is the same dress in taupe is amazing too. It's an Amsale dress and the colors are so pretty together. Any thoughts on dividing up my 6 Bmaids into 3 chocolate and 3 taupe? I think it looks neat but wish that I had known someone that did it. We want to do all white flowers with maybe pale pink somewhere in there. Thoughts? Thanks everyone!

Posted: Feb 25, 2005 8:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

CCane- I am splitin gmy maids into different colors- 2 are wearing champagne and one is wearing black (as is FH's sister who is standing up for him). I think splitting your girls into the brown and taupe would be very rich looking. Good Luck!

Posted: Feb 26, 2005 12:17 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

If it's fall, how about putting your girls in espresso with a deep purple or maybe a burnt orange sash around the waistline? (I would avoid yellow cause they'll look like bumblebees.) Then, the groomsmen can wear the sash color in their vests, and you'll avoid the whole problem of brown on black. That way, you get the colors you want on your girls, and he doesn't feel like he's living a huge fashion faux paux on his wedding day (cause no matter what he tells you, he cares ...).

Good luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine