To hire a consultant or not, that is the question...

Online Users: 1,266 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 4
Posted: Jan 3, 2005 1:05 AM

Hi there,
I am having a wedding on the beach in Nyc in May of 2006. My Mother is wonderful, but after a major car accident and nerve damage she isn't really able to help me with the planning, none of my friends have ever been married, and my sister is seven years older and not dealing with the fact her younger sister is getting married, she asked me to give her time......but I need Help now! (this is where you come in Smile)

I have the hall rented but it is just a beach clubhouse. They don't handle catering/decorating/or ANYTHING. I should hire a Wedding planner right?! I'm so lost. I have a small budget so I might not even be able to afford one, but I'm just going to cross my fingers that some magical wedding fairy will fall out of the sky.

Can I hear the pros and cons of consultants...anyone?????

Thanks...

Posted: Jan 3, 2005 7:03 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I did not use a consultant, but friends of mine did and they claim it helped them take all the stress off them. I was concerned that I wouldn't have complete control over the wedding. I was told that everything that happened at the wedding was what the bride and groom wanted. The consultant offers suggestions and idea's and gets everything coordinating with each other. If you have the money, it may not be a bad idea, but if you don't then I wouldn't worry about trying to afford one. I liked the fact that we worked out all of the little details ourselves. You can always use this board for idea's and suggestions. Good luck!!!!

Posted: Jan 3, 2005 11:30 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am getting married in April 2006 and we have hired a consultant. If you get a good one, they should be able to save you the amount of their fee if not more. She has kept me sane already and I don't know if I could get thru this without her.

Posted: Jan 3, 2005 2:42 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If you cannot afford a consultant for the whole thing, think about a "day of" consultant. He/she actually works for more than one day. She will meet with you early on to set up a timeline for your events, bat around some ideas, and also to recommend vendors (you don't have to use them, but at least you know someone who has worked with them). You do the planning and make the contacts yourself.Then, the week of, she will follow up on all vendors, run the rehearsal and wedding day, and generally provide advice when you have a question any time during the planning process. If you don't have any other backup, this can be a great help. My daughter and I are wedding pros, and we still used a day of coordinator. Let us know if we can answer any questions or give you some help.
myra at www.classysassyweddings.com

Posted: Jan 3, 2005 10:37 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thank you all so much. I have made appointments with Caterers and will see how much they will actually do, decorating/everything-wise, then will make a final decision about to hire a coord. or not.

You have all been very helpful.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine