Those last stubborn pounds!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 19
Posted: Mar 16, 2006 1:10 PM

Ok, so I'm actually in the whole "healthy weight" area, but I'm at the border line. I should be happy because my body is very comfortable there. Basically, now whatever I eat/don't eat (stuff myself or starve, eat healthy or a whole pizza) it doesn't seem to have ANY affect on me and my weight hasn't budged at all in months. But I'd still REALLY like to lose these last few pounds (I weigh 145 now, and I would LOVE to weigh 135... that would put me at a BMI that is smack dab in the middle of the "healthy" weight range).

I'm pretty educated regarding nutrition (I'm getting a Masters degree in Public Health) and I have tried EVERYTHING that you're "supposed" to do (ie: switching up the working routine, cutting more calories, etc). But it just won't go away! It gets very discouraging!

Has anyone else had this problem? How did you personally overcome it??

Posted: Mar 16, 2006 1:47 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

yeah, totally been thereSmile

i got a personal trainer. sure i was going to the gym 4-5 times a week (heck, i was training for a half marathon!) but shockingly, i wasnt building any muscle and i wasnt pushing myself past the "comfort zone". he really helped me get to a new level.

also, jamie's, have you read much about the idea that you have a set weight that your body feels most comfortable at? and even if you loose weight you will gain it back? i dont know if i buy this theory but it is a interesting concept on why people cant get off those last 3 lbs and why a lot of people gain back weight.

Posted: Mar 16, 2006 2:06 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm right in the boat with you!

I'm finally at 147, and my goal weight is 135-ish. I've lost 21 lbs so far, down from 168 lbs in January. I'm going to fight my way to the finish line.

What's different with me is that I know if I eat, I'll blow up like 2 lbs. I'm just going to keep doing what I've been doing, which is really watching my calorie intake. Your body will lose weight if you're restricting your calories and exercising. Maybe work out at a different time of the day -- or work out less. Yes, I said less! Sometimes your body just needs time to repair itself.

Also, what's working for me, is this colon cleanse/detoxifiying thing I picked up -- for other reasons. I was having some trouble with the whole going to the potty thing, probably b/c I cut so much fat and everything out of my diet. So I started taking this fiber supplement and boom, I lost 4 lbs in less than a week. Like it helped to regulate what's going on inside, you know?

Hang in there, it's only a few more pounds, and you can do it!

Posted: Mar 16, 2006 2:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Thanks for your input girls Smile I think my problem is that I really should exercise more and on a better schedule. I have a very busy lifestyle, so I'll go a lot of times at 10:00 at night and then I don't push myself as much because I'm already tired. I was just hoping that there was something else that I'm just not "noticing" that I'm doing wrong (sometimes the answer is right in front of your face and you don't see it!) Bliss, I might try to eat more fiber. I eat whole grains and veggies, but that's not necessarily as much fiber as I should be eating...

jgorczycki, to answer your question about the "comfort zone"... Yes, and No. I did a research paper on this, and basically I found in the literature that YES your body has a comfort zone that it doesn't really want to budge from, and if you dip below it, it's easy to bounce right back to where you were before. HOWEVER, that comfort weight is set based on a history of habits, and all habits can be changed. So you basically just have to "re-train" your body into understanding what is now "normal" and that takes a while to do. That's why they say you need to do lifestyle changes instead of "dieting." It's like muscle memory... after a while you just inherently know what to do, but it takes practice to get there. So, essentially, you have to "practice" to be thin before your body will do it on its own. Your comfort zone can be transitioned to a lower weight, it just takes a period of consistancy for it to recognize and respond to what's going on. For me, I think it's just taking too long Razz hehe

Posted: Mar 16, 2006 3:31 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

wow Jaimie's your singing my song! That is me exactly(even the weight) so, while I don't have much advice, you have all of my sympathy and wishes! Smile

also,Bliss your fiber thing interests me, could you tell me more about it? Thanks

Posted: Mar 16, 2006 3:58 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

bliss, can you tell us more (product specific) about the fiber regiment? i wouldnt want to use anything unnatural or dangerous, but i do not what you mean about... needing some thing to help you get back on track so to speak.

Posted: Mar 16, 2006 4:50 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Jamie-
I had a trainer last fall, and asked him about BMI. he sys that is a joke bcuz --- he's an ex college football player, 6'7" and his weight on the BMI sys he is OBESE. He told me his weight is like 247. (very nice looking body, i can look i'm human) His college degree has something to do with nutrition/sports etc (i cant remember). I watch what I eat, walk, NO soda, and go to the gym. Now that softball season is here I'll get to swing a bat Big Grin
(great stress reliever for me)

Posted: Mar 16, 2006 8:57 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Sure. I went to the Vitamin Shoppe and I picked up this box called Ultimate Cleanse by Nature's Secret. It came with 2 bottles. One is a multi-herb supplement to help with mood and to make the fiber gentler on your stomach, and the other is the fiber pill itself.

It's not even that much fiber. It's like 1 gram of fiber, but something is working -- I don't know exactly how or why, and I definitely recommend it to anyone who may be experiencing irregularity or stagnant weight loss. Like I said, I started taking it this Saturday (3 times a day per the instructions) and I lost 4 lbs and broke my plateau by Wednesday.

Posted: Mar 20, 2006 11:40 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

hey thanks bliss...i definately an irregular, but no one ever wants to talk about it! and i thought they may be part of my problem. Are they tablets? i cant do liquid funky stuff.

Posted: Mar 20, 2006 11:47 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

This isn't the healthiest thing to do but, a few days before the wedding I starting taking those water retention tablets. I did drop a few pounds the days before the wedding, but I had to pee a lot. Also, you just can't keep it up.

I thought that my body also was at it's "comfort zone" but, after going to a fairly low-carb diet (which I'm maintaining even though the wedding is over) I'm finding that I feel much more energized and healthier having overcome the last few pounds.

Now, if only I could gain some weight back in my chest, I'd be very happy Smile

Posted: Mar 20, 2006 11:50 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

LOL thanks Delania. I might do something like that as a last resort, but since it's just water weight I'm not sure it would make a difference on my "inches".... And of course it's not really healthy. I'm contemplating doing low carb starting in April, which will give me a few months of dieting before showers and parties start popping up before the wedding.

I might try the fiber thing too.... after reading this post on MB's boards: http://boards.modernbride.com/groupee/forums/a/tpc/f/991102/m/402104971 and doing some Pubmed research myself (I'm a science junkie), I found a lot of evidence supporting that a diet high in fiber helps to counteract the effects of MSG on glucose, insulin, leptin, and triacylglycerol levels and made obese lab mice lose weight.

I'm not posting the link because I think MSG is all of a sudden this big culprit that can be blamed for the Nation's Obesity problems. On the contrary, really. HOWEVER, if this fiber treatment really works, there may be a relationship. I'm not saying it's causative, but it might be connected...

It is interesting at least Smile

Posted: Mar 20, 2006 3:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

They are tablets and they aren't huge. I don't do liquid funky stuff or weird chalky powders, either!

I've definitely become more regular, and you're right -- no one talks about it. I usually "go" once every 2 or 3 days. With this supplement I am going every day, which is a BIG DEAL for me. I used to think it was impossible, but it's not and I really do feel better overall.

Posted: Mar 21, 2006 10:01 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Question for you Bliss0506...
I picked up a very similar product yesterday at the Vitamin Shoppe. (Basically the same as what you are taking, but Vitamin Shoppe brand.)
My question is, did you gradually increase the dose as it recommends? First 2 days you take one tablet twice a day, then the next 2 days you take 2 tablets twice a day, etc. The woman in the shop just said to increase it until I am comfortable. (I don't want to be running to the bathroom all the time). And to only take them for about 2 weeks (at which point I should be "cleansed."
Is this what you are doing? Sorry to be so nosey, but I really appreciate your advice! Roll Eyes
Peggy

Posted: Mar 21, 2006 11:23 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

It's so funny. I wrote down to go to the Vitamin Shoppe and get this myself and try it. You sure have started a trend here Bliss0506. We have a whole bunch of irregular girls here :0

Posted: Mar 21, 2006 6:56 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i mentioned the whole "irregular" thing to my sis, after reading the post. she works in the pharm business. she said it is VERY COMMON for women in there 20's and 30s to get this way, because a lot fo us are on low carb or low fat diets these days. I had no idea!! thanks for bringing it out into the open blissSmile

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine