Please help me loose weight

Online Users: 1,332 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 12
Posted: Mar 13, 2006 10:42 AM

Hi I have been engaged for a while, but we just decided about two weeks ago tht we are getting married on June 24. I have a lot of weight issues. I need to loose about 50 lbs. I know I probably wont be able to loose this much by June, but I need some ideas that really work. I cannot control my cravings, but I really have to loose weight. Please I will take any suggestions. Also if it includes a lot of money, forget it. I am so broke. Thabks girls.

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 11:36 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Try working out at home, I know its not as good as going to the gym but any workout you can do will help. Check out magazines like Self or some other workout style books or magazines that give home work out ideas. Walking or jogging around your neighborhood ... the more cadio the better from what Ive heard, jumping jacks, sit-ups ... use the couch to help hold your feet down, push ups, etc. If your not motivated to do it try to get your fiance or a friend to do it with you and add it to your daily schedule so you stick to a routine. About the cravings... I know how ya feel. When you go grocery shopping instead of buying just any old munchy snake get the fat free low sugar stuff. Some of it tastes the same as the regular stuff. Also if you just want to munch on something crab some carrot sticks and low fat ranch dressing instead of chips or something like that. Drink tons of water!! NO SODA. Water and juice only! It sounds like a pain in the ass I know, but youll get used to it and soon notice a difference. The first few weeks is the hardest from what Ive seen. Ive been working out for 30mins every other day for a little over a week and Ive been trying not to munch on junkfood and I feel much better than I did before. Good luck.

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 12:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Exercise, exercise, exercise!! Figure out when your cravings kick in, and make that your time for exercise. Me, personally, I like to do it first thing in the morning but I don't start having cravings until around 4. I have learned to snack sensable, and not buy junk. If you only keep you home stocked with good for you stuff, then that's all you have to choose from. If you do get some sweet cravings, try some frozed yogart, or snackwell low fat cookies.

Also setting small, attanable goals are really good. Instead of saying "I want to loose 50 # by June", say "I will loose 2 pounds a week from now until June". 2 pounds in a week is a very realist goal. Don't get discouraged. It's not easy, but you have made the first strp in knowing that you need to change. Shop the outside walls of your grocery store. No frozen pre made dinners. Like Lucky said...drink tons of water. My Dad cut out pop and lost 15#'s in one month. Just from giving up all pop, diet or not. Good luck. You have a really good support system here.

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 12:24 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

not to rain on the parade here...but i just wanted to imput some personal experience here. for my new years resolution i gave up drinking soda and before that i was drinking about 48 ounces (if cans of soda are 12 ounces, that is 4 pepsi's a day, not diet). so i drank a lot of pepsi and i havent had a sip since december 31st. i have not lost a pound. i have substituted it with water and sometimes iced tea, and expected to lose some easy weight. so, what works for some, may not work for others. actually, it baffles me that i didnt lose anything...i might as well drink the soda.

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 1:45 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
for my new years resolution i gave up drinking soda and before that i was drinking about 48 ounces (if cans of soda are 12 ounces, that is 4 pepsi's a day, not diet). so i drank a lot of pepsi and i havent had a sip since december 31st. i have not lost a pound. i have substituted it with water and sometimes iced tea, and expected to lose some easy weight. so, what works for some, may not work

Soda is bad for you, it's bad for your teeth, and bad for your body. Even if you did not lost weight, don't go back to drinking soda everyday. Try to drink as much water in a day, as you did soda. Drinking lots of water really helps you cleanse out your body, and as a result, makes it easier to lost weight. Water = good. Soda = bad Big Grin Good luck!

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 1:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Eat six small meals a day instead of 3 - keeps your metablism up all day long, eat every 2-3 hour, even if it's just a small snack. When you get a sweet craving, grab an apple or a fruit you like (I know it sounds crazy but it works), I eat oatmeal or some kind of fiber every morning which boost my energy, keeps the cholesterol down and gets the metabolism started.

Do simple things while watching TV, I do situps and pushups. When you are on the phone, always stand. While in the kitchen cooking, do side leg lifts.

Before you have a meal, drink very cold water first, your body will have to warm you back up and that gets the metabolism going.

Never skip a meal or starve yourself, it slows your metabolism and stores everything you eat as fat in case it feels starved again.

If you are not lactose intolerant, drink milk, I keep reading how milk actually does help you keep slimmer and it works for me.

These are just little things that really can help and that you can keep doing for a lifetime. I read about it in Reader's Digest and a friend also basically follows the same regime, we've both dropped sized. I have less to lose which is harder because the last few pounds are the toughest and yet these little changes have worked for me. Smile

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 3:09 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Lets work with what you have got. What are your downfalls? What bad foods are you drawn to? What do you do for work? And what kind of activity do you enjoy??

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 3:49 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I find it very helpful to have TONS of healthy snacks immediately on hand. For a 9 hour workday I would bring an apple, a piece of lowfat cheese, a turkey sandwich on whole wheat, some shrimp cocktail, a fat free jello pudding cup, some mandarin oranges, a water bottle full of Crystal Light iced tea, and a yogurt. I never ate it all but it was there so if I was hungry or tempted to hit the vending machine I could still eat something healthy.

I also joined Jazzercise and have started going 5 days a week. It is pretty fun (even for an exercise-hater like myself!). Find a class near you at www.jazzercise.com.

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 4:12 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

If you focus too much on avoiding "bad foods" and have a guilty relationship with food, you are going to have a hard time losing and keeping the weight off. Diets always fail because you become fixated on what you cannot have. Instead, try to make better food choices, drink 8 glasses of water daily, and exercise regularly, because you want to look good long after the wedding. I've found that the water will help you to feel full, and spending a lot of the day in the bathroom means less time spent in the kitchen. Wink Good luck and congrats on our new healtier lifestyles!

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 4:23 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Join Weight Watchers. I'm not sure if $11/week is too much for you but it definitely works.

I joined about 8 weeks ago and have lost almost 20 pounds (my goal is also 50 pounds although my wedding isn't until September).

It's basically about healthy eating, drinking enough water, getting exercise, taking a multivitamin, etc. The best part is that you are accountable to the scale every week.

Since joining, I've been so pleasantly surprised that I actually enjoy going to the meetings every week. There's lots of support and great tips from my fellow WW gals. My fiance even started eating like me and he's lost over 20 pounds just from that!

Can't say enough great things about it...email me privately if you'd like more info.

Posted: Mar 13, 2006 11:18 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

MrsB, you can't change one habit and all of a sudden expect the pounds to start melting off.

perezmami, tell me what a typical day for you is like. Play by play, what you do. Tell me what you ate for all three meals and snacks. I will tell you every single thing you can change that will make you healthier. You can PM it to me if you want.

Posted: Mar 14, 2006 5:55 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Changing a few things really makes a difference in some people. At the end of January I weighed 217 pounds. I stopped drinking soda cold turkey, I drink about 80-100 ounces of water a day,I take a multi vitamin once daily, I don't eat anything fried or anything from fast food restaurant, and I exercise at least 30 minutes a day. I now weigh 191 pounds and I feel much better.Once you put your mind to it and take things one day at a time it gets easier as time goes on.

Posted: Mar 15, 2006 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

To me, losing weight is a simple math equation. If you take in more calories than your body needs, you're going to gain weight. If you take in less calories (or burn them), you will lose weight. It's not fun, but you need to count your calories. Write them down - EVERYTHING.

From my experience, you don't burn nearly the calories you might think you do. Do some research on how long you have walk or run to burn just 100 calories. Choose foods that have fiber & not many calories. Snack on celery, steamed broccoli, and my favorite - pickles (a lot of sodium there, though) Eat lean protein -chicken, turkey for dinner. Lastly, stay away from anything processed or from a bag - potato chips, pretzels and NO SUGAR.

My #1 tip would be not to snack at night. That is huge for me!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine