Vegetarians, Ok I know Eli is can't remember who else (SNWR)

Online Users: 1,300 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 17
Posted: Mar 9, 2006 12:23 AM

So not wedding related! I have been half-heartedly been trying not to eat meat for the past week. When anybody asks me why, I say I don't know, something to do, which they get a kick out of. But, I don't want to be gross here, I mentioned in a previous post that I wouldn't eat a lot of meat growing up, but I'm older now (30) and every time I'm not eating a lot of pasta or vegetables I get diarreha pretty bad. Fh tried to talk me out of this idea, saying that I would be depriving myself of vitiams I need, and that why I was doing it could be explained by other things, such as I drink and I smoke. Yes, I do drink, usually Coors Light, or Bloody Marys, and I do smoke more than I should, about a pack and a half a day. Ok, the drinking I can understand, but smoking can't cause diarreha (Yes, I know it causes lung cancer, and a lot of other problems)

I went off the point of my post hear, I'm sorry, but my question is, did anybody else think that meat caused the same problem for them?

Posted: Mar 9, 2006 9:24 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I used to have pretty bad belly problems, ever since I was a kid! Going veggie was the best thing I ever did for my tummy. I guess since becoming a vegetarian, I just automatically get more fiber in my diet. My belly problems have completely gone away, and I've never felt healthier. Of course, I'm gonna tell everyone that I think going veggie is one of the best things they can do for their health, especially in this country, but I'm sure the drinking and smoking isn't helping your situation. You may also have IBS. It seems to be a very common thing. And tell FH that there are plenty of other ways to get the vitamins you need from things other than meat. In fact, you'll probably get more from going veggie. You just need to make sure you get enough protein and healthy fats. Good luck!

Posted: Mar 9, 2006 12:17 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ok, I kind of want to ask a question myself on this too. What is the difference between a vegan and a vegetarian? I did the no red meat thing for many years, and what to try to get into it again, but I really love fish and chicken. I thought a vegan did no animal products period, and a vegetarian did some dairy?
Can I eat chicken, fish and dairy and still be a vegetarian? If not, what can I eat for protine? Oh, I'm so confused.

Posted: Mar 9, 2006 12:21 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

No. You cannot eat chicken and fish and call yourself a vegetarian.

A vegetarian (lacto-ovo) will eat dairy and eggs. A vegan will not eat any animal products whatsoever, so no dairy or eggs, and especially no meat. No fish. Fish is meat in the real world (outside of the catholic faith).

There are plenty of non-animal sources for protein. Legumes, like beans, nuts, soy, and many others. Do a google search and you'll find plenty.

Posted: Mar 9, 2006 2:59 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Okay, everybody ready for a long post? Good.

BJCM- I never had the same problem myself, but actually the other way around. After I went a few months without eating meat and then ate some again, I was on the john for several very unpleasant hours.

But, if you're making a lifestyle change, it is very likely that you'll have some adverse reactions. This does NOT, does not, does not mean that it is bad to stop eating meat. Saying that you'll be deprived of valuable nutrients is ONLY something people who are ignorant of vegetarianism say. I'm by no means a doctor, but I'd say the diarhhea is most likely caused by something else, or it is your body detoxing. You can tell your fiance that unless you have been buying certified free range meat, you have been consuming many harmful and addictive antibiotics, growth hormones, synthetic flavor enhancers and other toxins. Your body could be expelling these things now that you've stopped consuming them.

As far as nutrient deprivation- there is not an American alive who is in danger of malnutrition, vegetarian or not. In fact, 99% of the problems Americans have with their health is caused by TOO MUCH nutrition. When you stop eating meat, you will be getting less iron, B12, and Omega 3 fatty acids, but that's it. Iron needs are easily satisfied by increasing your intake of leafy greens, and B12 and Omega 3 you can take once a week in supplements.

I smoked when I became a vegetarian, but once I had made my life that much healthier, it was much easier to quit. I also had IBS before I became a vegetarian, but now it's like, "IBS? What IBS?"

Now, protein. MEAT IS NOT THE ONLY FOOD THAT CONTAINS PROTEIN. In fact, almost everything you eat does. Peas, beans, and grains are excellent sources of protein when eaten together, and soy and dairy when eaten alone. Mock meats like tempeh, tofu, and seitan are also excellent sources but are not necessary to eat in addition to "normal" foods.

Several million Americans are some type of vegetarian, but try and rack your brain for the last case of protein deficiency reported...now rack it for the last case of high blood pressure and heart disease. Yeah, protein is really not something you EVER need to worry about.

Jasonsgirl, as long as you eat any type of animal flesh, you are not a vegetarian. A vegan eats no animal products whatsoever, including eggs, dairy products, honey, carmine, etc. A vegetarian eats eggs and dairy products. Even if you do not want to give up all meat, it is still very beneficial to your health to eliminate most of it. You don't get to have a special name, but you're healthier. Smile

Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:22 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

when people asked my why i was a vegetarian, i used to tell them that i dont like eating anything with a face. thats also a pretty good general rule of what classifies you as a vegetarian. if you eat anything with a face, you are not a vegetarian.

Posted: Mar 9, 2006 6:23 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yes! The Face Rule.

Posted: Mar 10, 2006 6:33 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Very insightful. Thank you. I was confused because I have a friend who says he is a vegetarian, but he eats chicken and fish. I always thought that your explaination was the correct one, but he was making me second guess myself.

I know that I felt much better when I didn't eat meat, so I'm going to try again. I'm even going to try to avoid all meat, just do some dairy, maybe eggs too. Thank you so much for your help Eli.

One more maybe stupid question. Why are eggs not considered chicken?

Posted: Mar 10, 2006 10:06 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Eggs are not considered chicken because, well, not to sound sarcastic, but eggs ARE NOT chicken. A chicken has to lose its life in order for you to eat the meat that comes from the chicken (i.e. chicken). A chicken does not have to lose its life to give us yummy eggs. However, chickens everywhere are mistreated, whether they're being used for their meat or just their eggs. But, I guess the main point is that eggs are not meat, hence vegetarians can eat eggs and still be considered vegetarians (ovo-lacto).

Posted: Mar 10, 2006 10:57 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Gotcha! Wink
Thank you!

Posted: Mar 10, 2006 5:35 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I've never had diarhea from getting slipped a meat product, but I have had upset stomach problems on the other end (as have some of the other veg-heads in the family). I'm told sometimes if you make a lifelong diet change your digestive system adjusts to it such that it makes it hard to go back to processing things like meat. That may be 100% pure junk science, but it's the closest I can come to a reasonable answer.

quote:
Originally posted by soon2BmrsB:
if you eat anything with a face, you are not a vegetarian.

lol. My mom had to try to find a way to cheat one time when my dad took her out to a fancy restaurant and the closest thing they had to a vegetarian entree was fish (this was in the '70's). It came to the table with the edible part attached to the nonedibles, so the head was on the plate. My poor mother had this fish staring up at her and started freaking out and my dad had to explain why they needed to send it back and maybe bring out some veggies or something. Totally ruined the romantic evening, but as you can tell, it proved a funny story for the kids.

Posted: Mar 10, 2006 10:51 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

funny story....

also, from what i've heard, after about 6 months of not eating red meat, your body stops producing the enzymes needed to break it down. that is why when you are a veggie and you accidentally eat red meat, you get a stomach ache or diahrrea. however, this does not happen with white meat. (chicken, turkey)

Posted: Mar 11, 2006 1:57 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

You guys, I went out with some friends tonight and there was this guy there who I have never met before...we were talking about a funny picture on the wall that had a carrot on a lady's face, and he said, "That's what happens to vegetarians."

Someone replied, "No, they get vaginitis like in South Park."
The guy said, "Has anyone ever noticed that vegetarians' farts smell really bad?"
"Oh yeah! I knew this guy once who smelled so horrible and vegans are even worse..."

Hahahaha. Some of my friends knew I was a vegetarian and they kept looking at me and expecting me to get mad and say something, but I just kept drinking my beer and laughing.

Posted: Mar 15, 2006 1:33 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Sorry it took me so long to respond to your answers, but my shower was this past weekend!

Eli, I think you might have misunderstood, I ment I'm thinking about becoming a vegetarian because I think meat gives me diahreaa, not I actidently had some and then that happened. I actually haven't had any meat since last Thursday.

In another post I mentioned that my FG and JBM have Phenylketurnia (PKU) which mean they were born with a metabolic disorder in which they can't have protien. They eat like vegans, but they also can't have "our kind" of milk, pasta, or bread, they have their own kind that has to be ordered from the state Health Department, or a place called "House of Nutrition".

Lady Megs, the same thing happened to me with a fish when I was a kid, and to this day I won't even consider eating a fish with the head on! Creepy!

Posted: Mar 15, 2006 2:06 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

I understood, I was just offering my own experiences for you to reference.

How did your shower go?

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine