who's a VEGETARIAN?

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 52
who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:25 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Well.. I was a veggie for quite some time (10+ years) but as my body an metabolism changed, my nutritionist broke down and told me that I would be much better off if I added meat back.

With that said, even today I still enjoy some mock meat products. Not because they taste like meat, but because they're great sources of protein. I usually went for Morningstar Corndogs or Boca Burgers (my personal fav.)

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 6:51 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

quote:
Originally posted by eli:
lady_megs, if you don't mind saying, what city do you live in? Granted the more rural areas of Texas tend to be unfriendly to us, but I am actually very proud of Austin and especially Dallas's health-conscious scene. I can give you some tips if you live nearby.

It might have been a bit of exxageration. I grew up in a small town just outside of Austin, where the only people other than my mom and I who didn't eat meat were vegetarians for religious reasons (they were Hindu), and their daughter who was my age snuck cheeseburgers when her parents weren't looking.

I live in the city now (Austin), where there are more vegetarians, but if you get two or three of us in a room, we are still pleasantly surprised to see that we aren't alone.

My husband is so into meat he's barely an omnivore. Sometimes I wonder if his world doesn't revolve around ground beef. Our rule is that he can have it in the house, but I won't cook it. This works well because we almost always oook together. He fixes his meat and mixes it in with whatever I made. We tend to eat a lot of things that can be done with or without for this reason (burritos with beans, cheese and rice with optional meat, spaghetti with marinara and meat sauces, etc.).

As to fake meat vs. real meat, I have to say I would go insane without veggie burgers. That's about all I like. My mom likes things like tofurky and veggie dogs, but they just kind of creep me out. I know it's not meat, but it's too realistic, ya know?

If ever you are in Austin, go to Chez Zee at the corner of Balcones and 2222 (just west of Mopac) and get the Mr. Green Gene. It's their house recipe veggie burger patty and it's hands down the best veggie burger I've ever eaten. It's a little pricey, but more than worth it. Smile

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 2:05 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ohhhh, you live in Austin? Don't need my help then, haha. Tommy and I are enchanted by Austin. We actually got engaged on the way back from there. Smile I will definitely check out Chez Zee. Do you ever come to Dallas? We just got our first raw food restaurant. It's called Pure. Haven't tried it yet but doesn't it look amazing? www.purerawcafe.com

Ha, glad you understood what I was attempting to say Bliss. You're right. I like to cut up Smart Dogs and put them macaroni and cheese...drives Tommy crazy.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 4:46 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm not in Dallas as much as I used to be. One of my best friends in college was from the Metroplex and we used to go there once or twice a year. Now she lives in New Mexico and her family has moved closer to Fort Hood, so there isn't a good excuse anymore. We do try to make it to Scarborough Faire in Waxahachie every year though.

Edit: Chez Zee also changes their menu based on the day of the week. Mr. Green Gene is for sure on their weekday lunch menu. I accidentally came there on a Saturday around noonish and it's not on their weekend brunch menu, but I asked very nicely about it and they were able to make me one. Smile
I've never actually been to a full on vegetarian or vegan restaurant because so many of the people I go out to eat with are passionatley committed to having meat in their meals. Chez Zee is actually one of my grandmother's favorite places in town. It's just about perfect for a ladies' lunch (my family likes to have those from time to time). Smile

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Mar 1, 2006 11:14 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

i'm a veggie too...so far for 17 years...but i mainly eat pasta...hehe. i'm not really into the whole fake meat thing either. meat is gross and even more so when it is not meat trying to pose as meat. ewww. just my opinion.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Mar 2, 2006 1:07 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Hey Maya I tried the Morningstar sausages! They were alright...will probably sit in the freezer until I'm starving, though. Hehe. I was surprised at their realism. I had forgotten what sausage tastes like but was startled by them, and Tommy tasted one and said it was just like sausage. Weird...

megs, you should let me know when you're going to be at Scarborough Faire next. Perhaps we could hang out. My fiance HATES Scarborough Faire with a passion, but I'm working on him.

Wow, you live in Austin and you've never been to a veg restaurant? I hear there are so many good ones down there. I've only been to Austin two or three times since I became a vegetarian so I haven't visited one there either, but we frequent all the Dallas vegan and vegetarian joints. You MUST go to Cosmic Cafe when you're in town again.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Mar 3, 2006 3:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

eli - if you think the morningstar ones are too realistic, don't try the Boca sausage links. They are so much like the real thing in texture and flavor it's almost spooky. I personally, love them, though b/c you all know my feelings on mock meats. I really had a hard time giving up sausage (it was the last meat I gave up when I was transitioning) and I still get my fix with the Boca links and patties. The very best thing to do, though, is to put them on a bagel with some cheese...man, it is so good. Insane good.

Anyway, back to the real world of Slimfast Shakes and carrot sticks for me.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

porky, if you eat fish, you are a pescatarian, not a vegetarian.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 1:49 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Or a Vendor!!!!!!!!!!! Smile Eli, pay no mind to porky. she is just here to promote her website. Don't bother checking it out. it sucks! Big Grin

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 1:54 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Interesting.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 2:03 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Eli.....go read warning on ceremony reception ideas you will know more. Smile

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Mar 5, 2006 2:07 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Ohhh, I see.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 1:09 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Eli, I never heard that word you used to describe what that Porky posted. We just say vegetarians that will eat seafood!

I've been thinking about trying to become a vegetarian, I went 72 hours without meat until tonight but I did have shrimp scampi Friday night. I don't know if I could ever totally be one, but I'm going to keep trying to eat less meat. I really think it's funny, because when I was a kid you really couldn't make me eat meat (I was all about pasta! Still am, I wish I lived in Italy!). Then I started working at McDonalds and I just couldn't live on french fries, so ten years later here I am.

I did totally give up hot dogs last year. I noticed every time I had one I would break out in pimples later in the week. I bought the veggie corndogs but I thought they were to dry.

Anyway, wish me luck as I work on this!

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Mar 6, 2006 12:49 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

My mom is vegetarian, but has been known to occasionally have shrimp (it makes visiting the coast and going out to eat so much easier). Seafood was never good friends with my system even when I ate meat. I think the hardest thing for me to give up was ground beef on pizza, but I was about 10 when I stopped eating meat, so my memory may be fogging up. Funny huh.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Mar 7, 2006 12:43 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Yep, pescatarian is the correct term for someone who only consumes plants and seafood. I hate hate hate when people who eat meat call themselves vegetarians. Why should the flesh of a fish be any different than the flesh of a cow? They're both animals.

Megs, if we want to get really technical here...haha...I will taste something that I have never had before if I am in an exotic situation, simply to be polite to my hosts, and to gain the experience. For example, I had never been to the Deep South, and when we were being hosted by a family in Mississippi, I ate a spoonful of the shrimp gumbo they served us. Etc.

But I actually can't even be really called a vegetarian, because I will eat gelatin.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine