who's a VEGETARIAN?

Online Users: 1,269 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 52
who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 25, 2006 9:36 PM

I thought it would be nice if other vegetarians proclaimed their veghead status and maybe we can trade some favorite foods and/or recipes. I have been a vegetarian for 13 years and couldn't imagine going back to my meat-eating ways. I recently found these snack bars at Trader Joe's called Lara Bars and they are completely vegan and made of only 3 ingredients, amazingly enough, they taste great! So, if you're a veghead, let it be known!

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 2:26 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I am.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 7:01 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I know Eli is too.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 26, 2006 11:32 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Zoe speaks the truth. I am proudly lacto-ovo. And sadly...I hate Lara Bars! Blegh. Haha. A raw foodist friend introduced them to me and I'm just not a fan. Maybe I just don't like dates...

My favorite packaged vegan snack is Tofurky Jurky. Mmmm. I usually am religiously anti mock meat (if you want to eat meat, just eat it, right?) but Tofurky Jurky with it's salty, chewy, complete protein goodness just gets me every time.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 12:15 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

me me me meeeeeeeeeeee. Wink

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 6:14 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

See! I know stuff!!!

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 3:19 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I'm a vegetarian, too.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 4:32 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

I haven't tried the tofurky jerky before, I really never liked jerky when I was a meat eater, maybe I'll try it. The only packaged faux meat that I really like are veggie sausages in the morning on the weekends, they're my favorite!

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 5:05 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Me too. Smile
I'm from smack dab in the middle of beef country too, so I'm always in shock when I'm not alone. Smile

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 10:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Haha, Zoe. Mayathystle, I have never tried veggie sausage but there's a restaurant in Dallas that serves ONLY veggie sausage, and it's not even a vegetarian restaurant, so it must be good. What brand do you eat?

lady_megs, if you don't mind saying, what city do you live in? Granted the more rural areas of Texas tend to be unfriendly to us, but I am actually very proud of Austin and especially Dallas's health-conscious scene. I can give you some tips if you live nearby.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 10:52 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

See now, I'm the opposite. I'm actually for the whole mock-meatness because I didn't become vegetarian because I didn't like the taste of meat. I did it for ethical reasons. So if I can snack or eat meals that are similar tasting to meat dishes (like having veggie meatballs with pasta, or veggie dogs like we did for dinner) then there's no harm. I can totally see the other side of the argument, eli, but I also think that it's good if you can get your fix and still be cruelty free. There are so many meat eaters that say they could never be vegetarian b/c they love their steak or whatever, but if they can have a great gluten philly cheese steak, hey, all the power to them. Sometimes its really just about taste, texture, pleasing the senses.

That being said, I could really go for a philly cheesesteak right about now.

Question, for all you girls who are vegetarian, are your FH's also vegetarian? Mine is vegan -- totally hardcore. I just want to know if any of you are in relationships with meateaters. I dont think I could physically handle that. If you are with a meat eater, what are your biggest conflicts?

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 27, 2006 11:16 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Eli, the veggie sausages that I like are by morning star farms; I don't think they are really good for you, it seems like they have a lot of "fillers", that's why I don't really like the fake meat, but the sausages are sooo good at breakfast!

Bliss0506, my FH is not a vegetarian, but we made a deal about 4 years ago that at home I would not cook or buy any meat-based products and outside of the home he could eat whatever he wanted. It works very well for us and he agreed without any qualms, that's good because I am the one who cooks! lol. FH got a little concerned that we wouldn't be able to eat anywhere besides home when I started a strict vegan diet for a time, but I like my yogurt and goat cheese too much so it didn't last for long.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 2:28 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

Bliss, this is one of my favorite vegetarian topics of conversation. I call myself anti-mock-meat, but my opinion is actually kind of different.

Ironically I didn't use mock meats to control cravings in the beginning, but rather didn't develop a taste for them until I was far into vegetarianism. Let's face it- mocks don't REALLY taste like meat. You'd be hard-pressed to find an omni who will agree that seitan tastes like chicken. I used to try and combat cravings with mock meats, but they left me unsatisfied and still wishing I could just be an omni again. I found it much more effective to just eat a hamburger and feel like total crap afterwards, and then remember that feeling when I drove past a McDonald's.

Now, a couple years down the road and I have learned to view mocks not as "trying to be meat" but a different thing all together. I no longer have meat cravings because it's just not part of my life anymore, not physically or mentally, so I can eat a veggie protein substitute and not be expecting it to taste exactly like meat.

I don't know, does that make sense? I tend to ramble.

As for my fiance...he's omni. We don't have any conflicts, and never have. I'm a low maintenance vegetarian I guess. He view vegetarian food just like any other food- if it's good it's good, if it's bad it's bad. When I cook I don't cook meat because meat isn't necessary, and he has no problems. He thinks I'm a great cook and he much prefers the creative stuff I come up with to the typical soul food his family and most families cook. We have meat in the house, like lunch meat and tuna that he likes, but I don't care. I've got nothing against meat, I just don't like to have it in my body ever. I suppose this situation would probably be much different if I were a vegetarian for ethical reasons though.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 11:03 AM Go to message in response to: Guest

FH is actually the one who suggested we try vegetarianism. It was mainly for health reasons in the beginning, and before he suggested it, I was eating jr. bacon cheesburgers every day! I'm glad he suggested it. We love being vegheads. Our families don't quite get it, but oh well. There will never be a meat product in our home for the rest of our lives. He eats morning star farms burgers and loves them. I don't like mock meat, so there's absolutely none in my diet.

who's a VEGETARIAN?
Posted: Feb 28, 2006 5:04 PM Go to message in response to: Guest

Eli, you're totally right about the mock meats not tasting/resembling meat much -- I guess I didn't use them to "wean" myself either. Especially Smart Dogs, I couldn't imagine a meat eater eating a Smart Dog and comparing it to a real hot dog. They're so different. I guess what I mean is that it takes the physical place of a meat dish, regardless of whether or not it tastes like it or resembles the texture.

Once I gave up meat, I was done -- there was no going back. So when I started having cravings for things like McDonalds sausage biscuits, I went and bought the Boca sausage patties, got some bisquick, made them up and enjoyed every last morsel. I just like replacing things, I guess.

You made perfect sense in your post, and I agree with most of what you said, we're just describing it kinda different, I think.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine