Reception Foods Dos and Don'ts?

Online Users: 1,316 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 3

CassidyWess Posts : 13 Registered: 2/23/13
Reception Foods Dos and Don'ts?
Posted: Mar 24, 2013 10:01 PM

Hello everyone!

So I'm about to start the process of researching caterers but I think having some idea of what kind of food we would like served at the reception would help a lot with not only where to start looking for caterers but who to select in the end. Which leads me to my question: do you have any suggestions for what works well or works out horribly for reception foods?

My fiance' and I have discussed this some and we're unsure if we should just do a smattering of foods that we both like or if we should pick one cuisine style. So far we just know that we would like to have equal vegetarian and non-vegetarian options as our guests will be from both types of diets (we are also checking to see if we have anyone attending that is vegan or has food allergies).

Also is it a good idea to have the food coincide with colors/themes? We don't have a specific theme, but don't really know if we should work in the colors somehow (for example if blue is one of our colors have a dish that has blueberries in it, or if a color is purple have plums or eggplants in dishes, etc).

Should we consider if a food is too "sloppy" to serve?

Thank you in advance everyone! I look forward to hearing your experiences and opinions!

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Re: Reception Foods Dos and Don'ts?
Posted: Mar 25, 2013 7:48 PM Go to message in response to: CassidyWess

There are several things to think about when choosing the food for your reception. First, you need to decide whether you will have a served meal or a buffet or food stations. Then, your budget will dictate what you serve. You don't need to include the wedding colors in the reception food unless you want to include them in the cake (such as red velvet) or the punch.

I would avoid messy - ribs, tacos, anything with much sauce or that is usually eaten with the fingers.

You may want to lean towards pasta. The same dishes are easy to prepare in both vegetarian and meat varieties. You could also set up two or three food stations, one station for salad, one for vegetarian and one for a meat entree. Guests love stations unless you have so many guests that it takes forever to get through the lines.

Caleb_Dumolo Posts : 8 Registered: 3/5/13
Posted: Apr 2, 2013 5:16 AM Go to message in response to: CassidyWess

Before listing different dishes that you select and serve to your guests, you have to consider the wedding theme first. Outdoor casual wedding like on the beach or in the garden have some suitable dishes. Enclosed reception party in a restaurant or an expensive suite have other cuisines to select from. In fact, foods are categorized as formal, semi-formal or casual which depends on the presentation, ingredients and taste.

http://www.bestbridespeeches.com

SethDesmaraiss Posts : 2 Registered: 4/9/13
Posted: Apr 9, 2013 8:30 AM Go to message in response to: CassidyWess

I think it sounds great! If you want a casual, relaxed wedding, a bbq/cookout would be awesome. With that many people though, it might be best to hire a caterer to cook all that food, so your family can socialize and one person isn't stuck at the grill. Do what you want and what is special to you and your FH.
Link: caterers in Maryland

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine