Orlando - seeking ideas for evening entertainment

Online Users: 1,268 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 8

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Orlando - seeking ideas for evening entertainment
Posted: Apr 4, 2008 11:15 AM

Has anyone ever been to Orlando or is currently living in Orlando? Our honeymoon theme is Disney by Day & Elegant Evenings. We will do the waterparks, Seaworld etc in the daytime but want to have more grown up evenings. We have picked out a hotel called the Grand Bohemian hotel. It is a beautiful sophisticated hotel located downtown. We will probably want to stay downtown in the evenings. I would really like to food a good Chinese food restaurant as where we live doesn't have any. We like dancing but I am 38 and hubby is 43 so would prefer clubs that don't just cater to college kids. If anyone has any suggestions, particularly restaurants, clubs and romantic locations, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ciscokid Posts : 119 Registered: 8/8/07
Re: Orlando - seeking ideas for evening entertainment
Posted: Apr 8, 2008 10:34 AM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

My family and I have traveled to Orlando more times than I can count during my lifetime lol. However, none of us do Chinese so I can't really help with that. As far as clubs go, I hear that Pleasure Island is good (haven't been there), and it is in around Planet Hollywood (which is FANtastic, but somewhat expensive).

However, I honestly think your best bet for what you are looking for is Universal CityWalk. Parking is free after like 7 p.m. and there are more restaurants and clubs than you can count and they are all right there in one place. It is a really laid back atmosphere, but there are lots of "nicer" restaurants like Emeril's. For dancing and a "non-college kid" crowd, Jimmy Buffet's Margaritaville is definitely fun. And if you want a more intimate atmosphere, there are a lot of really nice restaurants in the hotels. You just take the boats (which are also really nice, and the landscaping is beautiful) to whichever restaurant you prefer. The Royal Pacific has an Emeril's restaurant called Tchoup Tchoup (sp?) which looked really nice when we were there in November.

You can go to universalorlando.com to look up all the restaurants and clubs. I would recommend going later in the evening (you might check what time the parks close during your honeymoon) to avoid having lots of families in the restaurants (translation-kids lol). However, most of the clubs are over 21 after 9 o'clock i think so that solves the problem if you just want to go there.

lol I know I sound like a universal employee, but I just really do love it there. The atmosphere seems to cater so much less to kids and families and more to adults. The universal parks also have a "meal deal" kind of thing where you can either get a meal at one of the restaurants and a movie pass or a meal and admission to the clubs. They're like 20 bucks apiece which I think is really reasonable for an evening there. But only certain dishes are included and some of the restaurants don't take them (like Emeril's). So you'd have to look that up on the website if you were interested.

I know that's a lot of information, and I apologize for my rambling, but I hope you can find something useful in there!!

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 10:45 AM Go to message in response to: ciscokid

Thank you so much! I really appreciate all your feedback. My thread got buried and I thought I might not get any responses. Universal sounds good. I like kids but in the evenings we definitely want more of an adult environment, which is why we are going to book the most un-Disney hotel we could find. Again thanks so much!

Posted: Apr 8, 2008 5:18 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

You are very welcome! I know you'll enjoy Orlando. Whether you do Disney or Universal, you'll have a great time. I don't know if you've bought your Disney tickets or not, but you might want to consider Universal. My parents, FH, and I all went to Orlando last Christmas and did the Disney thing. While we enjoyed it, the night we went up to CityWalk for dinner, he asked me (away from my parents, of course lol) why we hadn't gone to Universal. He said "This place looks like so much fun and there aren't forty thousand kids running everywhere."

The main reasons I recommend Universal are

1. there really aren't as many kids. There are a lot of thrill rides, and small children just don't seem to like Universal as much. I'm not saying there aren't any, just don't seem to be as many as with Disney.

2. It's much less expensive. Right now you can get a week-long park hopper ticket, where you can go to both parks as many times a day as you want to for 79.99.

3. It's a lot less "work" to me than Disney is. Disney is SO large, and pretty difficult to get around. Universal's two parks are next to each other, and the front gates are within walking distance of each other. Both of the parks are very easy to get around in, and there is still PLENTY to do. It's a lot easier with Universal to, say get up in the morning (when the parks are less crowded) and to stay until 1 or 2. Then you can go back, take a nap during the hot part of the day and be refreshed for a great evening. Disney will really wear you out. FH and I had planned to go to a couple of places for a romantic dinner, but we were always too tired and wound up eating in the parks. Since you're only there so long, and there are so many parks, you feel like you have to stay there all day to see and do everything since you paid so much for the tickets. And Universal has an Express pass, which gives you front-of-the-line access all day long. Disney doen't do that. They do have the Express pass, but it gives you a time that you come back to get on the ride. And if you are on the other side of the park at that time, it is really not worth it. If you are at all interested in Universal, you could stay at the Portofino Bay hotel (which is REALLY REALLY nice) and not have to drive to the parks at all. There is a boat from the hotel that takes you and picks you up. It is really relaxing. Also, your room key is a free unlimited Express pass. With the other one, you only get one front of the line access per ride for that day. With your room key, you can go as many times as you want to.

Again, not trying to tell you what to do (honest! lol), but I just really love Universal so much more than Disney. To me it is so much more fun and much less stressful. If you want any more information on it or anything else in Orlando, just let me know and I'll be happy to help!

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 11:37 AM Go to message in response to: ciscokid

Are you sure you don't work for Universal? lol. Thanks again. hey I just realized you are the person I messaged about going to Myrtle Beach for honeymoon. Sounds like we like the same kinds of vacations. 

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 12:45 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

LOL I promise. My mom just likes Disney better and I like Universal better so I'm very well used to arguing my point! lol glad to be of any help.

I realized that as well after I posted the last message. And thanks for the advice on Rioz. FH was very excited, since we've been meaning to go to Texas de Brazil for a long time and have just never made it.

One last thing: If you want ANY kind of information about Orlando, Disney, CityWalk, or anything else in that area, I recommend the disboards.com They are kind of like these message boards but just for Orlando stuff. You can get all the information you want and more probably than you actually will want lol.

Posted: Apr 9, 2008 3:15 PM Go to message in response to: ciscokid

How's that for good karma! Definitely go to Rioz, but don't expect a lot of conversation with your FH. My husband is stilling talking about it, as in last night. lol.

Uberoom1 Posts : 26 Registered: 12/10/12
Posted: Jan 14, 2013 4:43 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

You can visit Millers Ale house, which is a sportsbar you will have a great time.

Uberoom1 Posts : 26 Registered: 12/10/12
Posted: Feb 28, 2013 5:11 PM Go to message in response to: TanisJ

Mostly it will depend on what you guys enjoy doing, you could find nice restaurants to go and have a good meal, or you could go and have the orlando experience by visiting Disney, even if cartoons are not your thing something magical and traditional will create you a very special night!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine