Honoring our LGBT family and friends

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 0

allisonc526 Posts : 1 Registered: 1/13/13
Honoring our LGBT family and friends
Posted: Jan 13, 2013 2:19 PM

Preface: I posted a similar thread on another wedding forum, and got some very unhelpful/ judgmental comments (theknot.com has some horrible ladies btw). Just looking for some friendly suggestions:

My fiance and I could not be more grateful that we have the privilege and right to have our relationship and commitment to one another legally recognized as a straight couple. As I plan our wedding I am constantly reminded that not all people have this opportunity. We would like to acknowledge/recognize this in some way. We were thinking of having a link on our wedding website where people could make a donation in our honor to an organization working towards marriage equality, in lieu of getting a gift we have registered for. People on the knot.com thought this was rude. Thoughts?

I am also considering having our minster include something in the ceremony. Def going to use inclusive language, but maybe even mentioning equality in a prayer. Or finding a reading/poem that is not too political but acknowledges love of all kinds.

Has anyone ever heard if this being done (tastefully) at the ceremony? Thoughts? Ideas for a reading?

ps- the majority (however, not all) of our guests feel similar to us about the subject. but we still want to be mindful of everyone's beliefs/opinions.

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine