How did you pick your date?

Online Users: 1,332 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 41

PatricksLove Posts : 26 Registered: 3/6/08
Re: How did you pick your date?
Posted: Oct 20, 2010 8:57 PM Go to message in response to: younglove922

My FH and I's original wedding date was going to be today (10-20-2010) because I like the way it looks written out.

But then I decided to go to graduate school and I'm right in the middle of my first semester so we pushed it back until I graduate.

Our dating anniversary is March 3rd, which falls on a Saturday in 2012 which would be our 5th anniversary...However, Saturdays are expensive so we're going with Sunday, March 4th, 2012 :)

Can't wait!!!

Patrick and Meagan <3 March 4, 2012

WellWisher Posts : 175 Registered: 1/2/10
Posted: Oct 20, 2010 9:50 PM Go to message in response to: PatricksLove

August 25th has always been a special date for my fiance and I. It's the day we started dating and the day we got engaged. So, we decided to go for the trifecta! It's on a Thursday this year, but who cares? We didn't want to compromise the date, and the people that really love us wil be there :)

asiabride Posts : 9 Registered: 7/15/10
Posted: Oct 26, 2010 7:56 PM Go to message in response to: WellWisher

I'd always imagined I would have a June wedding, and my fiance had always thought about getting married in December. He loves Christmas, and to him that is the time of year that he most associates with joy and happiness. I love Christams too, but for that same reason, didn't want a December wedding- we already have enough to celebrate then! Plus, we only have snow maybe one or two days in the winter here in eastern NC; all of the other winter days it's just leafless trees and dead grass. My fiance on the other hand, associates summer with two things, heat and sweat.
When we talked about it, we both were willing to give if it was really important to the other. So then we thought about compromising by meeting in the middle, fall or spring. I remember saying "so, that means we've narrowed it down to Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall." lolz
We don't really need the exta six months to wait until next Fall, so we're planning on this Spring.

Edited by: asiabride on Oct 26, 2010 7:57 PM

Mrs_Orto Posts : 14 Registered: 7/19/10
Posted: Nov 15, 2010 12:36 PM Go to message in response to: younglove922

Our date has kind of a fun story behind it.
We had been talking about getting married for a while but we weren't "officially" engaged yet because he wanted to save up for a nice engagement ring. Well, I had been engaged before and already had a dress from David's Bridal. I REALLY didn't wanna wear the same dress that I had chosen for a marriage to someone else. So, just to find out if it would be possible to exchange it for another dress when the time came, I called DB and asked them. Well, they told me I could bring it in in the next 2 weeks and exchange it. I didn't even have a ring yet but it was basically either exchange it now or be stuck with the same dress. So, I made an appointment and went in. I found a new dress that I absolutely adore. To be able to place the order, they had to put an event date in the computer. Well, since I wasn't actually engaged yet, we obviously didn't have a date picked so I told her to just make one up. This was back in July so she just put in December 1st. When I got back home, I was talking to my (then) boyfriend on the phone (he was away for training with the Army) and told him about the date. He laughed and said, "works for me." I pointed out that December 1st was a Wednesday so it wouldn't work, the Saturday was December 4th. "That's fine," was his reply.
Well, fast forward about a month and we are actually engaged now. We picked a date in April because I wanted to do an outdoor wedding and we wanted to do something before his contract with the Army ran out in May because he was planning to re-enlist and we wanted to be married before the new contract. About 3 or 4 days after we picked the date in April, he got a call from his unit about an opportunity to make some money which basically required him to go active duty (he is in the National Guard) for 9 months. After talking about it, we decided we wanted to get married before he left in January so we had to pick a new date. I remembered the joking conversation we had had when I bought my dress and thought, "well, we thought the date was good back then so why not?" And now here we are, getting married on December 4th (only 19 days away!) and I couldn't be happier. I was a little worried at first about having to plan the entire wedding in about 3 months but everything has come together perfectly and it's going to be a beautiful wedding. I am sooo excited!

But anyways, in my opinion, the best way to pick a date is to sit down with your FH and a calendar and just start looking. Find out what works best for the kind of wedding you want (especially the venue), your schedules (and the schedules of important guests), and what is special to you. I promise, there will be at least one date that matches all of your criteria.

Mrs. Orto
wedding websites

Jaymee Posts : 143 Registered: 10/6/10
Posted: Dec 18, 2010 9:14 AM Go to message in response to: Mrs_Orto

We're getting married at an outdoor ice skating rink and you can only rent it during the summer months (June 1st through September). We were planning on getting married in 2012 so we picked the first Saturday that it would be available- June 2, 2012. :)

Daisypath Wedding tickers

AnnaKay12 Posts : 17 Registered: 12/20/10
Posted: Dec 21, 2010 4:40 PM Go to message in response to: Jaymee

I would have loved to get married on the "anniversary" of our first date but it's in November, which is out, since we're hoping for an outdoor ceremony in our home state.

We ended up choosing April 28, 2012 since the weather is generally warm around that time of the year, but not too hot just yet. We haven't booked our venue yet, however, so the date could change. But for now, we're looking forward to 4/28/12!

NWalter Posts : 3 Registered: 1/2/11
Posted: Jan 2, 2011 10:40 PM Go to message in response to: younglove922

We eliminated any months that had a negative reminder in them, death of a parent, anniversary of a previous relationship, etc. Then we went on to narrow down by the time of the year we wanted (spring) and then narrowed it down from there. Easy!

armywifetobe12 Posts : 1 Registered: 1/2/11
Posted: Jan 2, 2011 11:45 PM Go to message in response to: NWalter

I picked June 30, 2012 because it is the same date that my grandparents got married. Only difference besides the year ;) is that my day falls on a Saturday, and theirs was a Sunday.

MissKathrynC Posts : 13 Registered: 4/20/10
Posted: Feb 3, 2011 6:59 PM Go to message in response to: younglove922

When we got engaged, my grandmother was very sick. We chose a date in August '10 and then another in June '11. After she died, we chose my grandparents anniversary, May 27, 2011. They have the most amazing marriage I have ever seen or heard of. We also decided to stay with my grandfather to keep him company. We will be moving out in a few months, and we are all a little sad. Excited but still...
Anyway, the date also happened to be my FI's mother's anniversary, so it is going to be an amazing day this year.

ArcheryGirl Posts : 22 Registered: 4/15/10
Posted: Mar 2, 2011 6:26 PM Go to message in response to: younglove922

We both participate in Renaissance Faires. We wanted to wait until "Faire" season was over to make it easier to plan and execute. (Not to mention, make sure our friends were going to be available to be there.) And if you write it like they do in Europe it's 10/11/12.

AlwaysSublime Posts : 28 Registered: 9/17/08
Posted: Mar 13, 2011 6:41 PM Go to message in response to: younglove922

The biggest thing that influenced our wedding date is my brother. He is deployed in Afghanistan and we want to wait until he comes home in November 2011.

I suggested it be on the 23rd (our favorite number) or the 28th (our anniversary date). The next day I got an e-mail at work from my fiancÚ with possible dates! We narrowed it down to a Sunday, but none of those numbers worked. I wanted a spring wedding so I suggested April 22nd, aka Earth Day. My major in college was Environmental Studies, and he is an architect with an interest in green buildings, so it is a win-win!

Uberoom1 Posts : 26 Registered: 12/10/12
Posted: Jan 4, 2013 12:44 PM Go to message in response to: younglove922

Hi younglove922,

There are definitely wedding dates to avoid. The weekend before tax day is not the best time to get married No matter what your career, you probably have your own crunch time at work. You'll either be stressed or you won't be allowed to take off for your honeymoon.
Good Luck!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine