Planning the Honeymoon Help!

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 5

SweetSunset Posts : 159 Registered: 1/15/09
Planning the Honeymoon Help!
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 11:54 AM

I need some help on this! Seems like I always need a lot of help....oh well! :P
Anyways, FH and I are planning a complicated honeymoon. Now I have been in contact with 4 Travel Agents to get the best price and such, but to tell you the truth, working with them has been a pain in the butt. All 4 are from different companies, and they are all giving me around the same prices. Some are willing to work with our airmiles, some will charge us (there are other things too). All in all, it just seems like a pain. I've got some time on my hands, would it really be that crazy to do this myself? Like call each individual hotel, ask them for any honeymoon specials and see what they can do, same with airfare? Do travel agents really get that good of deals? Thanks everyone!

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Planning the Honeymoon Help!
Posted: Mar 5, 2009 10:59 PM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

Dear SS,

I am a frequent traveler, and am fully capable of booking flights on the internet. I do just that when I'm getting a simple round trip ticket.

Anything more complex, and I go to a travel agent. A travel agent is your best friend if you are planning anything complicated. Flight gets cancelled? Weather problems? One call to your travel agent back home gets you back on the road. Even small town shops are usually associated with a 24-hour hotline service for their customers.

It's hard to imagine that with four different TAs working for you, you haven't found one that you like. It could be that you are a difficult-to-please customer. Maybe you believe you are entitled to more service than the TA can provide. I don't mean this in a negative way, but compensation for TAs has changed radically in the past decade or so. I'd like to bet that many many people out there have no idea just how TAs get compensated. It used to be simple: Commissions. Not any more.

I have no way of knowing if you are a difficult-to-please customer or if you have just had bad luck. I have a suggestion for you. Go to one of the travel websites, such as flyertalk.com, where you can get some opinions from professional travel agents. Write a brief message that describes why you have been unhappy with the four travel agents you've dealt with so far. Then, see what people say. You'd like to hope you'll get some unbiased answers and you'll be better equipped to make some decisions.

SweetSunset Posts : 159 Registered: 1/15/09
Posted: Mar 6, 2009 3:51 PM Go to message in response to: auntofthebride

Thanks aunt,
I hope I'm not hard to please, but I think we are just having bad luck with them. There is one TA that will work with our airmiles, but to get in touch with them it takes all week. One TA will work with our miles but will charge us a lot to do so. The other two just won't do it. Another issue, we had two of the TA not even want to give us the time of day because of the type of honeymoon we wanted to go on. It was after a long time of reassuring them that this was in our budget that they would plan something for us.
I'm going to head to that website and check it out. Thanks again!

Uberoom1 Posts : 26 Registered: 12/10/12
Posted: Dec 10, 2012 3:22 PM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

Dear Sweet Sunset:
Maybe we can help. Wherever you plan to go, we can set-up the perfect honeymoon getaway package without you lifting a finger. Uberoom service can set-up your room with a package at any Hotel, Bed & Breakfast, or Vacation Rental in the US. Good luck!

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Dec 24, 2012 1:52 PM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

Wedding dresses from famous wedding designers are promoting now.
http://www.okaydress.com/wedding-dress-designers-c-65.html
Mori Lee Wedding Dress Style 4916 is just $299.99.

Mikan Posts : 16 Registered: 11/15/12
Posted: Apr 16, 2013 10:56 AM Go to message in response to: SweetSunset

YEs I do prefer having a travel agent to do the organizing. If we book our honeymoon ourselves they might be some hit and miss experiences with hotels etc. Also some travel agents can get some good deals that we may not have find on our own. Plus it would be really nice having our itinerary all planned out for us, without having to do all the work
But I got the feeling that it won't fit in our budget.

So I am planning to do it myself. I will be using Australian accommodation directory for me to easily navigate places suitable for honeymoons. http://www.blissfulbreaks.com/

Yes, I prefer just here in Australia.

Edited by: Mikan on Apr 16, 2013 10:58 AM

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine