Good thing I wasn't surprised by this...

Online Users: 0 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 13

wishinghopingpr... Posts : 13 Registered: 12/17/09
Good thing I wasn't surprised by this...
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 2:46 PM

I've been with my boyfriend for over a year. We live together, we have a dog together, and we've had some serious talks about marriage, children, and buying a house.

Naturally, I was kind of hoping for a Christmas proposal so imagine my surprise when I stumbled across my Christmas present the other night (I was not snooping, he just didn't hide it very well). It's a bento box, which is basically a fancy japanese-style lunch box. It's neat, and it will come in handy as I do brown-bag it a lot, but still...it's a lunch box. So I privately got all of my disappointment out (yes, I cried a little) and plan to act surprised when I open it Christmas morning, but I can't help but be a little bit irked as this seems to be a very impersonal (and maybe a little insensitive) gift, especially considering the fact that he is fully aware of my desire to get engaged.

I guess I don't really have a specific question, but there is a part of me that thinks maybe I'm being a little bit selfish...am I? How would you react if you were hoping for a ring and instead got a lunch box? I'm just kind of a jumble of irritation right now because I'm trying to hard to be patient and not push him.

Just to clarify: I know that it is for me because he does not buy "things" for his family as they are all out of state and gift cards are the easiest to transport.

starfish701 Posts : 465 Registered: 12/10/08
Re: Good thing I wasn't surprised by this...
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 3:18 PM Go to message in response to: wishinghopingpr...

Maybe he is giving you that and a ring. Maybe he is trying to confuse you. Maybe you will get a New Years surprise instead. Just try to relax and enjoy the holiday with out getting mad. I thought my FH was going to propose on a trip we took to Florida. It would have been perfect, but he didn't. However, a month later he surprised me. The wait sucked but it was worth it.
wedding tickers

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 3:24 PM Go to message in response to: wishinghopingpr...

I wouldn't stress about it until you know what he plans to put IN the bento box...

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Dec 17, 2009 4:51 PM Go to message in response to: ArtBride

Exactly... maybe there will be something sparkly and shiny in the box!

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Dec 18, 2009 9:00 AM Go to message in response to: wishinghopingpr...

Just because there is a bento box under your tree doesn't mean that you're not getting a proposal. Relax, stop reading into things. Christmas is just 7 days away. Stay optimistic =)

08divabride Posts : 831 Registered: 11/17/07
Posted: Dec 18, 2009 9:38 AM Go to message in response to: wishinghopingpr...

Maybe he won't propose on Christmas Day? My husband propose to me on New Years Eve. Had me on pins and needles on Christmas Day and I didn't enjoy it because I was expecting a proposal.

So I'm telling you to enjoy your bento box and enjoy Christmas with your boo! He may have another surprise for you, but don't be disappointed if he doesn't.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Lilypie - (8e8A)

HappyGirl13 Posts : 1,298 Registered: 4/21/08
Posted: Dec 18, 2009 11:25 AM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

I thought my husband was going to propose on our anniversary. Instead he proposed on a day that had absolutely no significance to us in order to throw me off, and he completely surprised me.

So relaaaaax and try to enjoy your holiday.

preview image

Beeble Posts : 306 Registered: 11/19/09
Posted: Dec 18, 2009 11:29 AM Go to message in response to: 08divabride

Well I'm not getting my ring for Christmas. He says he will get me one later, whatever that means. So today i'll be sad for a while and drown my sorrows in Bailey's and then get on with being excited for Christmas just for Christmas sake instead of hoping for something I won't get.

I still hope he puts something nice for you in your bento box!

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Dec 18, 2009 1:47 PM Go to message in response to: wishinghopingpr...

My son just proposed this week to his GF of over five years. He really wanted to propose last Christmas, but he had one more year of college left and really wanted to wait until he was 1) finished with school and 2) more financially able stable. I think considering you have been together for one year... you may try to be a bit more patient and realize he will propose when the time is right for both of you. It's okay to feel disappointed. Just don't let it get to you. He obviously loves you very much.

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

http://bridewhisperer.blogspot.com  

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Dec 18, 2009 2:20 PM Go to message in response to: FrancieElaine

Congratulations Francie! Your son sounds like he is a very level-headed individual. I thank goodness that my man has the patience & consideration that I don't at times, especially when it comes to marriage. In the moment things may be difficult to understand, but once the commotion settles, it all makes sense. These men might just be getting smarter and smarter.

FrancieElaine Posts : 654 Registered: 6/26/09
Posted: Dec 18, 2009 7:07 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

Thank you Jersey! Yes, I think there are a lot of great young men out there!

Francie Elaine, The Bride Whisperer

www.bride-whisperer.com

http://twitter.com/BrideWhispering

http://bridewhisperer.blogspot.com  

ArtBride Posts : 4,838 Registered: 5/9/07
Posted: Dec 21, 2009 10:35 AM Go to message in response to: Beeble

So today i'll be sad for a while and drown my sorrows in Bailey's

Urgh...my teeth hurt simply from reading that!

DaisypathWedding Ticker

Vice President and Guardian of the Toilet Brush of POOP: People Offended by Offended People

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 8:47 PM Go to message in response to: wishinghopingpr...

Sweetheart Neckline Strapless Cathedral Train Taffeta Wedding Dress Style Monalisa Royale
Save up to 32% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $258.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sweetheart-neckline-strapless-cathedral-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-style-monalisa-royale-p-33708.html

kalama Posts : 299 Registered: 7/26/12
Posted: Oct 4, 2012 2:19 AM Go to message in response to: wishinghopingpr...

Are there a lot of men who does not want a wedding? If you love someone,you should give her some thing.such as love and marriage.You should take responsible for her!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine