Trying to be good, how do i stay on my diet

Online Users: 1,300 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 10

MeganandAnthony Posts : 1 Registered: 1/1/10
Trying to be good, how do i stay on my diet
Posted: Jan 8, 2010 2:51 PM

I am 155 pounds and i have just had a baby a few months ago. I am way out of shape and not only want to look good for my wedding but i want to be healthy, feel better, and be more confident. I have just started eating better this past week. I am eating small healthy snacks and keeping my calorie intake under 1200. Each day i feel better and making healthy choices gets easier. I have started exercising today, it was only a work out video but its a start. I plan on starting a zumba class in febuary and want to just keep up a good work out routine. I have always been a little over weight and want more than anything to be a healthy and more beautiful me. I hope i can keep on track and not give up, and I bought a wedding dress that doesnt zip up all the way as inituative to get fit. Please if anyone has any ideas, advice, or stories to help/inspire me, please share.

AmyJustin2010 Posts : 201 Registered: 1/18/10
Re: Trying to be good, how do i stay on my diet
Posted: Jan 18, 2010 9:07 PM Go to message in response to: MeganandAnthony

Has a healthcare professional recommended you stay under 1200 calories or are you just deciding that yourself? The reason I ask is because by cutting your calories to such an extreme low level, it's going to be really hard to lose weight. Your body will go into starvation mode and hang onto every pound. Plus, a 1200 calorie diet isn't something that's easy to maintain for the rest of your life. If you choose a more maintainable calorie level you're more likely to keep the weight off.

Here is a calorie calculator that will help you determine daily intake based on your age, height, activity level, etc. Of course this is just an estimate, but a good place to start.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

If you are sure that 1200 calories is right for you, then just keep thinking of your motivation. Keep telling yourself why you are doing it. Put a picture of your dress in your pantry and on your fridge, so when you get the urge to snack you will remember not to. Another good way to see your forward progress in terms of exercise is to fill out a chart of your progress. My gym gives out spreadsheets to fill in for the cable machines and cardio machines. When I look back at my first ever workout, I feel so confident and inspired because I know how much stronger I am now. Also, (this one is hard for me) find a way to make exercise enjoyable. You can try working out to your favorite music or TV show on your iPod. Try classes and try doing it yourself. I know I am definitely more successful on my own as those workout classes seem to breed self-consciousness in me. This is probably impossible or very difficult since you have a baby, but bring your FH to workout with you. It's so much more fun when you have a partner. Lastly, set smaller goals for yourself. Losing XX pounds by XX date seems so far away and so sometimes it's harder to work for. Tell yourself "I'm going to run for X minutes" or "I'm going to walk X miles today." Setting and achieving smaller goals will give you more motivation and confidence to reach your BIG goal!

Good luck! Come back here for motivation if you need it, as there are tons of ladies here in your shoes.

JerseyGirlVA Posts : 311 Registered: 9/17/09
Posted: Jan 20, 2010 4:16 PM Go to message in response to: MeganandAnthony

I personally haven't had success when I consider myself on a 'diet'.

I basically watch what I eat and control my portions. Instead of eatting two bowls of pasta & a garlic bread with butter for dinner, I eat a smaller bowl of pasta and make sure that I take a sip of water after each bite. I eat slower and drink more water. Usually my mind has been made up by the time I finish my first bowl of pasta so it's not too difficult to say to myself, "no seconds".

Also I hate working out. I mean, I feel fantastic after a workout but getting me there is like pulling teeth. I have a girlfriend who meets me at the gym twice a week. Twice a week might sound low but we made this decision because we didn't want to fail. If we let ourselves miss one day one week, it would be easier to say, "Oh we'll just go once this week too". So working out twice each week has worked well for us!

When the weather is nice, I try to take advantage of it and walk the dog around the neighborhood rather than sit on the couch. Simple adjustments like parking further from the entrance to a store, taking the stairs & walking to the mailbox rather than driving are easy ways that I fit my exercise in.

NessaRae615 Posts : 675 Registered: 9/23/08
Posted: Jan 22, 2010 12:51 PM Go to message in response to: JerseyGirlVA

One thing that I have found that helps me is keeping track of what I am eating. I started a Sprakpeople account, and log what I eat every day into it. It will ask you questions at first like your hight, weight, age, and activity level, and then it will tell you a range of how many calories you should be consuming every day, an it also sets a workout schedual for you. For your food, it sets menues for you of this is what you should have for breakfast, lunch, dinner (which usually includes a dessert of some sort), and snack. You don't have to follow their menue, it is just a suggestion. You can add in whatever you eat. I like it because I am accountable for what I eat. Last night I had to run to the store to get dog food, and I thought about buying a candy bar, but then asked myself how will it look on my report of what I ate and how many calories it is, which stopped me from getting the candy bar. On just watching my calories (for me staying under 1500), and cutting out soda, I lost 10 pounds in a week. And as a PP suggested, allow yourself a cheat day, do not deprive yourself, it will make matters worst. I have Saturdays, where I do not track anything, but am still mindfull of what I eat, IE I won't go eat a half of a pizza, a dozen cookies, ice cream, and anything else that sounds good, but I will allow myself an extra slice of pizza, a cookie, or a small bowl of ice cream.

Good luck!!

bonym Posts : 1 Registered: 1/26/10
Posted: Jan 26, 2010 7:46 AM Go to message in response to: NessaRae615

Eating
right after delivery isn't that complex. Just continue eating a
good-quality diet just as you did during pregnancy. If you are not
breast-feeding, your nutrient and calorie needs are the same as they
were before you became pregnant. If you are breast-feeding, or if you
are anemic or recovering from a cesarean delivery, you require special
nutritional management.

Take
a creative approach to nutrition, choosing foods that require little or
no preparation. Quick, nutritious foods include fresh fruit, raw
vegetables, melted cheese on toast, cottage cheese, and yogurt with
raisins, sunflower seeds, nugget-type cereal, or low-fat granola.
Broiled meats and fish are faster to prepare than casseroles.

Edited by: bonym on Jan 26, 2010 7:49 AM

BrighterThanSun... Posts : 853 Registered: 10/17/08
Posted: Feb 9, 2010 6:12 PM Go to message in response to: AmyJustin2010

Thanks Amy for the calorie calculator!

I have done BMR calculators before but I like that this one gives the range--also since this asks for more than just gender, weight and height--I feel like it's more accurate when the activity level is added.

I actually keep in the range they gave me for fat loss and extreme fat loss (1263-1684)

I don't count religiously but after having counted in the past I can usually estimate as I am eating and I am right in there somewhere pretty much everyday.

LorettaH Posts : 10 Registered: 4/21/11
Posted: Apr 23, 2011 12:48 AM Go to message in response to: MeganandAnthony

Having a workout can help you lose and maintain your diet but of course it is always depend on your lifestyle. There are some exercise program that applicable to join like Yoga.

opc | natural blood pressure support

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 27, 2012 7:49 PM Go to message in response to: MeganandAnthony

Sheath Sweetheart Neckline Strapless Chiffon Wedding Dress Style Marion
Save up to 28% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $236.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sheath-sweetheart-neckline-strapless-chiffon-wedding-dress-style-marion-p-33799.html

IrineV Posts : 3 Registered: 8/29/12
Posted: Oct 2, 2012 8:08 AM Go to message in response to: wzq103

Just remember you alone decides what happens to your body, you have total control over it. Before you eat bad food also think about how bad you feel after.

kalama Posts : 299 Registered: 7/26/12
Posted: Oct 6, 2012 1:56 AM Go to message in response to: MeganandAnthony

I think the most important thing is to eat little and so some excerses,a friend of mine has already lose about 30 kilos!So you can also do it!

Catherine88 Posts : 170 Registered: 7/26/12
Posted: Oct 10, 2012 11:59 PM Go to message in response to: MeganandAnthony

Keep the good work to continue and believe yourself!You are the best!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine