NWR: Depo Provera shot for birth control

Online Users: 1,329 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 15

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
NWR: Depo Provera shot for birth control
Posted: May 28, 2008 4:03 PM

Has anyone ever tried this or on it right now? I just decided to switch my birth control yesterday... 2 1/2 months before my wedding because I am so bad at taking my pill everyday. I didn't read up on it too much, I just liked the idea that I wouldn't have to take a pill everyday. I heard that one of the main side effects is weight gain..... and I've been reading stories on the internet about women who gain A LOT of weight... like 30 lbs in less than 3 months.

I wanted to ask you ladies if you have ever tried the shot and if so do you like it and what side effects did you have. I"m a little freaked out right now because my wedding is coming up. I'm not a very big person but I do not want to gain weight.... especially before the big day!!!

Thanks for everyone's input ahead of time... I think I just need to calm down a little.

Message was edited by: born2dream Message was edited by: NickeyBlueEyes

TanisJ Posts : 2,669 Registered: 4/25/07
Re: NWR: Depo Provera shot for birth control
Posted: May 28, 2008 4:17 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

I am on it and have been for 6 years or so. i didn't gain weight from it (though did gain weight when met very large husband). One concern is bone density, but I lift weights 4-5 times a week and take calcium so that doesn't concern me. Another side affect you may or may not know about is that about 50% women stop menstruating. I am in that 50% and love the convenience of not having a period as I used to have those "cramping so bad, pain so great I found myself on the bathroom floor" periods. So I don't miss it. Doctor told me should I wish to become pregnant I would need to go off and wait about 6 months. Hope this helps.

soontobemrsnye Posts : 240 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: May 30, 2008 9:05 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

I was on "the shot" about 6 years ago and I didn't gain much weight. The biggest problem I had was getting my period back. It took a year for me to go to the doctor and have it checked out. Don't ask me why, I was young and dumb. My gyno eventually put me on estrogen pills to get my period back.
When is my wedding

Posted: Jun 17, 2008 5:01 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

I am on the shot and sorry to say, I have gained weight like 20 lbs. and can't seem to get it off. my big day is in like 50 days and on a beach....i am seriously considering skipping this next shot that is due and switching to the pill or something else, just to be able to lose this weight!!

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 5:34 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

I recommend Nuva Ring. It's once every 3 weeks, no weight gain and no side affects. Look into it.

Mrs. Pinky

DawnaCrystal Posts : 990 Registered: 4/7/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 5:44 PM Go to message in response to: soontobemrsnye

I took the shot for a while. It was horrible.
I would recommend an IUD. I have my second one now. It is great! No hormones, no daily pill,and if I choose to have another baby I can get it taken out and get pregnant the very next day. No waiting for my body to get 'normal' agian.

Ariana1228 Posts : 281 Registered: 3/2/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 6:14 PM Go to message in response to: DawnaCrystal

I was on the depo shot a couple of years ago and I did not like it at all .... I didnt gain any weight but I got my period and very sick while on it.  I am now just on the regular pill, but you should talk to ur gyno about whats good for you with no weight gain that you dont have to take everyday ... good luck!

MissMac Posts : 142 Registered: 5/13/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 6:48 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

I was on it for a while during high school and my first couple yrs of college and while i didnt gain any weight i lost something else we all may consider dear..my hair!!! while it didnt all fall out at one time it over the yrs got weak and broke off...i have always had nice strong hair that was always at a nice length and it started breaking off so gradual that i didnt even notice it.  what made me realize it was when i would go home from college and people would ask me why i cut my hair?!? i would be like 'i didnt't'.  then i looked at some older pics (only about 2 yrs old at the most) and i realized that my hair was shorter! I had heard that it was one of the side effects, along with acne and weight gain but i had also heard that not every one gets the same or maybe not any side effects.  But i was also in the 50% that did not have periods at all!!! and i loved it...but the down side to it(but not too down considering i didnt have pms etc) was that instead of a period i would have spotting from time to time...and it would last from 4 to 10 days...which would suck because unlike my normal period i had not idea when i was coming and it was a little annoying...so i stopped taking the shot when one month my spotting lasted for the whole month!! plus i had a friend that told me that she had not started her period again and she had been off of it for a while...

oh yeah the same friend had a really hard time getting pregnant about 5 yrs later once she was married. 

True Love is gift from God

coastiebride Posts : 1,365 Registered: 3/26/07
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 7:24 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

Im scared to get on the shot. I have had so many friends that are having a horrible time trying to get pregnant. Some of my friends took over a year to get their period back. Almost all of them gained at least 20lbs each.I went on Nuva Ring and i highly recommend it. Im always learly about pills that change how many periods a year i have

Lets not all get caught up in our wedding. Remember we should not only be planning for a our wedding but more so we should be planning for  our marriage. More so then fighting over shades of peach, tuxs, cake flavors and only god knows what else. Because the next morning it is over, guests are gone the flowers have died the cake well lets face it 1/2 of it was tossed out. Cinderella is still a maid, the limo is now a pumpkin And there is life to face ok after wild crazy monkey sex for 7 nights straight, lets not kid out selfs there are priorities After its all gone there's still bills to pay and a job to go back to

Going to the Chapel December 6th 2008

Love is a four-letter word spelled G-I-V-E

DawnaCrystal Posts : 990 Registered: 4/7/08
Posted: Jun 17, 2008 11:49 PM Go to message in response to: MissMac

Yeah, it took me about 9 months to get my period back. Then I went on the pill. Had problems with that (missed periods, tons of pregnancy scares) so I went off it. While I was waiting for my apointment to get an IUD I ended up pregnant with my son, dispite my use of condoms and an aditional spericide. I opted for the copper IUD and had it put in after I had my son. it makes my periods heavy, and I mean very heavy, but it also makes them short, like three days long. When we decided to have another baby I got it taken out and was pregnant three weeks later. Now I have another one. They are good for 10 years, unless you chose to have it taken out (It is not the mirena one) and best of all NO HORMONES!! NO MOOD SWINGS, which were really bad on the shot.

ryanne Posts : 1,042 Registered: 4/27/06
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 11:04 AM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

My experience with the depo was absolutely terrible! My FH and I decided that the shot would be the most convienent way to go for us (he was actually really interested and involved...lol.) so I got my first shot like I was supposed to. Three months later I hadn't stopped bleeding. I contacted my Dr. multiple times and they always told me that that was normal. But FH and I were freaked out, so we did some research on the internet and read nothing but bad things about the shot, so we decided I wouldn't go and get my next one. And yes, I was literally bleeding for three months. After that, my periods were extremely irregular and since I was a little wary of any BC, I didn't get on anything else right away. I finally got on the pill and have had no problems on that.

I would stay FAR away from the depo...

Our Wedding Website: www.mywedding.com/chrisandryanne

MrsMcCain Posts : 580 Registered: 10/24/07
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 12:54 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

Hey everyone thanks for the responses, although most of them scared me, lol. I haven't really gained weight yet and it's been a little over three weeks since I did this. I have been working out more though and just trying to watch what I eat. I still got my period, which I didn't think I was suppose to get but other than that pretty normal. I'm still a little paranoid since it lasts three months, and I don't think that I will be getting it again. I saw a few people recommend Nuva Ring... I think I might try that. It wasn't very appealing me to me when I first heard of it but it's always nice to hear other peoples recommendations.

mrspinky Posts : 3,773 Registered: 3/14/08
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 1:03 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

Nuva Ring kind of does sound weird at first since you have to be really comfortable inserting into yourself but it's one of those things that if you don't like it, you can just take it out. No biggie. Unlike the shot which you have to wait....no thanks.

I hope you figure something out that will work for you. I tried 3 different types of pills before I realized the ring works better for me.

Good luck!

Mrs. Pinky

Ashleyanne2010 Posts : 447 Registered: 5/3/08
Posted: Jun 18, 2008 3:55 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

I HATED the shot... I was on it for a year, gained about 60 pounds, pretty much had constant spotting, and got really emotional and felt out of control in the 2 weeks before i needed a shot.

I would definitely recommend the nuva ring. 

wzq103 Posts : 1,190 Registered: 9/11/12
Posted: Sep 19, 2012 2:17 PM Go to message in response to: MrsMcCain

A-Line Sweetheart Neckline One-Shoulder Strap with Ruffles and Split on teh Skirt Floor Length Zipper Chiffon prom dress
Save up to 24% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $129.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/aline-sweetheart-neckline-oneshoulder-strap-with-ruffles-and-split-on-teh-skirt-floor-length-zipper-chiffon-prom-dress-p-31970.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine