Cost of Ring Anxiety

Online Users: 1,284 guest(s), 1 user(s). Replies: 30

auntofthebride Posts : 9,354 Registered: 4/2/06
Re: Cost of Ring Anxiety
Posted: Aug 24, 2010 11:38 AM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

Ladies,

When I got engaged, we had only our tax refund, a whopping $800, to spend on our three rings.

We decided to get plain gold wedding bands and as big a solitaire diamond as possible. The diamond we got was a half caret. That was it. One half caret diamond.

The jeweler suggested that many couples upgrade later in life to fancier rings. We said "Hmmm... maybe".

Now, it's "later" in life. I am totally happy with my half caret diamond and plain gold bands. It was what we could afford at the time and it's what I wear, with pride, now.

Having said that...

A couple of days ago I was meeting with a client. She had a truly stunning ring. The diamond solitaire was huge. I'd guess at least 2 carets, and there were numerous smaller diamonds in the ring. It was stunning, really stunning.

What did I say to myself? "I'm so jealous"? "I have to upgrade to keep up with her"?

Nope.

My first reaction, after "Wow, what a gorgeous ring" was something like "My small diamond and plain gold band makes the statement that we met, and got married, while still relatively young. The fact that we are still together all these years later is a good thing, and something to be proud of."

She has reason for pride, too, in her beautiful ring and their ability to afford such a nice ring. My pride is a bit different, but still valid.

Just food for thought, ladies.

Shortcake3930 Posts : 6 Registered: 3/24/07
Posted: Aug 31, 2010 2:14 PM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

I'm a new poster but long time lurker here. FH proposed just a few months ago so i dont really belong in here anymore but your post struck a cord with me. FH and I were both working up to a few months ago. Now just he is working. He FINALLY proposed after being together 5.5 yrs. He bought me a gorgeous set from Swarovski Crystal. Unless you knew better you'd think it was a 3/4 caret solitare with an eternity band for the wedding band. Its perfect for us and a million times cheaper than what a "real" ring would be. If you like "outside" the box ideas you dont have to go as far as we did but what about a precious stone (ie sapphire etc). I love my set and love even more that there is no bill for thousands waiting in the wings.

sassy411 Posts : 52 Registered: 8/16/10
Posted: Sep 2, 2010 11:45 AM Go to message in response to: Shortcake3930

I LOVE Swarovski! I don't buy anything else anymore. I am amazed at the fire & brilliance of those crystals. I get all of my jewelry on ebay now, nothing but Swarovski.

Way better than cz's. If I had it to do over, I'd be totally happy with an e ring of Swarovski. I'd have a bigger rock.

HamzicBride Posts : 178 Registered: 12/28/09
Posted: Sep 5, 2010 11:22 PM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

You know, I had a similar issue with the man I'm going to marry...and no I am still not engaged...
We both fall right into the average population as far as income comes. We also both work 3 jobs to make ends meet. My boyfriend, the amazing man that he is, was convinced he had to spend an absolute ridiculous amount of money to show his love. I also made it clear to him that I refused for him to spend that kind of money on a ring. He would have spent months if not years to pay it off. I even chose a ring that was just a few hundred dollars. There was one we had found together that I broke down over. He made a mental note that is what he was going to get.

...fast forward to today, THAT ring was well over the $5,000 mark because of the diamonds and the settings but we also communicated, after fighting with the man to not spend that kind of money, that WE and yes I clearly used the word "WE" would pay for the ring. We met halfway. He would not get anything of lesser value, and I refused to have him pay that kind of money on me, so I met him halfway and we did this together. Now being in July, our rings are payed off and I am waiting for that special day where he is going to decide to propose. I know it's planned and it will be special, I also know it should be in the near future.

Communication is a beautiful thing and something you should always work on improving. If this is the man you are going to marry, discussing and talking about your future, including your engagement, should not be difficult. Make sure you work on being able to sit him down. Good luck.

shooternyc Posts : 3 Registered: 9/6/10
Posted: Sep 6, 2010 4:37 PM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

I've also spent a lot of time considering "conflict" free stones. After seeing "Hotel Rwanda" I was horrified at the dramatization of the seedy underbelly of the precious stone trade.

smalltownlady Posts : 16 Registered: 8/18/10
Posted: Sep 14, 2010 11:40 AM Go to message in response to: Shortcake3930

Thanks everyone! Especially for the tip about Swaroski Crystal. I would never have thought about that

We went to a few jewelery stores again last weekend, because he wanted to see what it looked like- he wasn't convinced it would look similar.

It took a few stores- the first few turned up their noses at the idea we didn't want a "real" stone, but I don't want to give them any money anyway if that's the attitude.

We found a store that will do it, so now I just wait to see what he does.

Thanks again!!!

smalltownlady Posts : 16 Registered: 8/18/10
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 1:29 PM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

Again thanks everyone!!!!

Just wanted to let you know he proposed last night with a beautiful ring that I love!

PharmToxGirl Posts : 5,446 Registered: 8/30/07
Posted: Sep 29, 2010 1:39 PM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

Congrats!!!!!

nnunez09 Posts : 2 Registered: 9/20/10
Posted: Oct 7, 2010 12:14 AM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

Me and my soon to be hubby were having a similar issue and he was pretty much yanking his hair out thinking that he needed to spend thousands of dollars but I told him that it didn't matter to me what he spent,all that I cared about was that when was putting that ring on my finger that it meant a lot to him as it did to me and sometimes they feel that they will be less of a man if they cant buy you the biggest "Rock" out there... I actually found this cool website where you can bid on rings or buy them you get amazing deals for less and they are all beautiful the website is www.idonowidont.com tell him to check it out....

kalama Posts : 299 Registered: 7/26/12
Posted: Aug 1, 2012 11:11 PM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

i have to say i don't care how much of the ring if i like it and i believe my boyfriend,he won't let me be wronged,two people are all happy is most important.

Abigail9010 Posts : 1 Registered: 7/26/12
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 3:51 AM Go to message in response to: kalama

totally agree

NiamhMaire Posts : 92 Registered: 6/7/12
Posted: Aug 3, 2012 10:05 AM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

I started reading this post and I was really intrigued and was about to give some advice. Then I noticed the date.I wonder how this turned out? If you still an active member I'd love to know.

Bing/a> |

wad Posts : 44 Registered: 7/18/11
Posted: Aug 11, 2012 5:25 AM Go to message in response to: myras

The forum discussing about wedding ring cost and thanks for your information

wedding planner |wedding transportation

liqinkatherine Posts : 26 Registered: 8/2/12
Posted: Aug 21, 2012 4:30 AM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

hmmm, you should let him know what you care most is the good feeling when you stay with her together but not the expensive cost on the ring. Money on the ring doesn't stand for the love between you and him. You should let him know this point. And it is only the symbol of your commitment and love. What is in the inner heart is the most important. I also confront this and at that time my husband bought me an affordable ring,not that much. In order to make up for the ring, he bought me another evening dress for me.
http://www.bridal-buy.com/best-deal-chiffon-criss-cross-rhinestone-beaded-empire-scoop-elegant-affordable-eveningprom-dresses-2013-ed10595_p3618.html
This dress is what he bought for me. A big surprise for me anyhow. Now even we have married for almost one year, we are good relationship just the same as premarital life. Also best wishes to you and your boyfriend!

kalama Posts : 299 Registered: 7/26/12
Posted: Aug 22, 2012 1:56 AM Go to message in response to: smalltownlady

From your article, I can feel you two guy love each other very much!
I think you can communicate with him ,telling him your thoughts !
Wish you have a nice wedding day!Best wishes to you two lucky guys!!

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine