Bridesmaid/photographer dilemma

Online Users: 1,334 guest(s), 0 user(s). Replies: 6

seattlegirl627 Posts : 1 Registered: 7/22/12
Bridesmaid/photographer dilemma
Posted: Jul 22, 2012 1:54 PM

I have a dilemma. One of my bridesmaids owns a photography business and they are great at taking pictures. We were hiring her (actually, her hubby or sister) to take our wedding pics. I had already paid a $200 deposit. We changed the wedding around and are not having a reception, but a small dinner. We are also getting married a lot sooner than originally planned since we are moving out of state. I asked her how much she would charge just for the ceremony. She said $500! That means I would have to pay her another $300. There ceremony is only one hour long! This is someone I've known since high school. I let her know we could not afford that in such a short amount of time and asked if we might be able to get a refund. She said no. My bridesmaid is basically pocketing my money. I'm still having to pay for her and her husband to eat. I understand to her this is just business, but I can't help feeling a little miffed. $500 for the ceremony alone seems a lot considering her role in this wedding. Any suggestions??

Syringa Posts : 115 Registered: 1/18/12
Re: Bridesmaid/photographer dilemma
Posted: Jul 22, 2012 2:29 PM Go to message in response to: seattlegirl627

Your friend is being very fair, particularly considering where you live. $500 for the ceremony is less than most photographers would charge and it doesn't generally include just the ceremony. There will be photos of you and your groom, the wedding party and both families either before or after the ceremony, as well as ceremony coverage. If you will cut a cake or have toasts at the dinner, you might ask if she will also photograph those things. In addition to the photography, there is editing and perhaps Photoshopping that will occur. Your friend is being very generous to do all that for only $500.

MagicalMomentsP... Posts : 742 Registered: 3/6/06
Posted: Jul 22, 2012 11:35 PM Go to message in response to: seattlegirl627

Hello,

First of all, you didn't pay her $200 as a deposit. You paid the money as either a save the date fee or retainer for her services. In return for the money paid, she has scheduled a photographer to photograph your wedding for the day you originally selected. Even though you have changed the date, she is obligated to pay her photographer for that day. In addition, since she is at your wedding, she has turned down business for another wedding.

Now, you've changed the date. She is actually being quite generous in allowing you to transfer the funds from one date to another. Many photographers would say, tough and for a lot more money (me included). Without being harsh, this is not a game to a professional photographer, this is putting food on the table and a roof over our families' heads. So first you've tied up one date and then wanted to change to another and decrease your level of service. You're lucky she is not holding you to the original contract.

Now I know there are photographers who do charge $500 for a full day of photography. However, those photographers are undercutting the market and giving their services away. When they finally realize they have actual bills to pay or have to replace a camera, they have an epiphany. $500 for a wedding ceremony which lasts an hour is a good fair rate. This allows the photographer to leave the studio, set up, take family photos, tear down, get home and process the images. That one hour ceremony can easily take an additional four to six hours of behind the scenes time. This is time which does have to be accounted for and paid for. While you don't think so, I'm sorry to inform you, your friend and photographer is being more than fair to you.

Howard Kier, Certified Professional Wedding Photographer

Magical Moments Photography

NiamhMaire Posts : 92 Registered: 6/7/12
Posted: Jul 23, 2012 10:20 AM Go to message in response to: seattlegirl627

I'm not so sure I agree with the other commenters here. I don't know much about the business but I think your friend should be a little more generous particular if she is your friend long enough to be your bridesmaid. I find it a little odd that shes charging you at all. I think you should pay for the ink, page, and editing but I think charging you for the labour is a bit much. She would be at your wedding regardless of whether she was taking the pictures or not.

Don't get me wrong I don't think you are entitled to a freebie or should ask anybody to do something for nothing but I would do it to my friends.

Bing/a> |

Kimberly212 Posts : 972 Registered: 9/12/12
Posted: Sep 12, 2012 8:12 AM Go to message in response to: seattlegirl627

Save up to 32% off on New Trend Wedding Dress,the price is just $258.95, It's the cheapest,bug gorgeous dress.

http://www.juliebridalshop.com/sweetheart-neckline-strapless-cathedral-train-taffeta-wedding-dress-style-monalisa-royale-p-33708.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 13, 2012 7:22 PM Go to message in response to: seattlegirl627

Jennifer Bridal Dress Show, Starting from 229.99USD
Click Here: http://www.jenniferbridal.com/jennifer-bridal-dress-p-45678.html

jackson132 Posts : 1,623 Registered: 9/13/12
Posted: Sep 15, 2012 8:47 PM Go to message in response to: seattlegirl627

Pronovias Wedding Dress Starting form 229.95USD
Click Here: http://www.bestbridalprices.us/designer-bridal-collections-pronovias-c-420_473.html

RSS

Thank You
for Signing Up!

Check your e-mail inbox for the latest updates from brides.com

Give a Subscription to Brides Magazine as a Gift
Subscribe to Brides magazine